What do you as Autistics think about Affirmative Action

Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is the hope for objectivity in science; I believe it is a prime objective in science. I believe many scientists aspire to that ideal.

But science hardly ever rises to that standard.

The problem isn't science. The problem is the flawed nature of humans trying to do science.

If you fail to be objective and you fail to stick to the scientific method, you're simply no longer doing science anymore...

kraftiekortie wrote:
At least some of morality comes "from the heart."

As I see it, morality is nothing more but an attempt to achieve the best outcome for the greatest number of people (or animals), considering all possible options.

Not the heart but science is the most reliable way to achieve that goal.

The heart often seduces us to make decisions that end up being bad for everyone involved.

Kraichgauer wrote:
That stuff with Stoddard's pro-segregation, and eugenics is just an example of how even the best of us can be wrong.

I'm not convinced he was wrong. I'm not convinced that we're moved forward, overall, when I look at the century that passed since he wrote his most famous books. I see more decline than improvement, really... and much of the issues he's warned us for have come true!

Kraichgauer wrote:
If the poor white vote was suppressed, it was only out of the interests of the reactionary right. That is, the same people today who want to reverse affirmative action and civil rights legislation.

The poor White vote was suppressed by the ruling elite... the oligarchy... the people in charge... the people behind both the Republican & Democratic parties.

The "reactionary right" consists of a mixture of blue collar & white collar working class people, who are fed up with decades of abuse. They are the ones trying to stand up against the oligarchy... against the status quo... much like the radical Left used to be during the 1960s... before they were co-opted by the oligarchy.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course we became biased against such godawful things that had happened during WWII!

No matter what may have happened in those German camps, that doesn't discredit the notions of innate biological differences between the races nor the necessity of eugenics in a high tech society. Every race is biologically different in ways that are more than just skin deep. And we do need a form of artificial selection to replace natural selection (which we eliminated through eg. modern medicine, and which is the very point of eugenics).

Even the noblest of ideals can be abused to do evil upon others. And it is morally wrong to use atrocities to push a political agenda, especially if that agenda goes against biological reality.

Abandoning reason because certain ideas remind us of certain atrocities can never ever be productive.

Kraichgauer wrote:
It made the western world take a look at itself in the mirror, and realize that such hateful practices actually harm real people. How is that a bad thing?

... because we are now taught that the very things necessary to save the West from collapse are evil... leaving us completely and utterly defenseless against what is every day become a more certain collapse.

Learning the wrong things from history can actually be a lot worse than learning nothing at all...

Kraichgauer wrote:
Yes, there were lots of whites who had been lynched. But to say that it happened alongside lynchings of blacks is very misleading. In my part of America, the west, it was common to lynch anyone who was found to have committed criminal offenses. This was done even before any law enforcement involvement, or even involved breaking into jails to drag the accused out kicking and screaming.

When people lose faith in the justice system, you can expect them to take matters into their own hands.

It surprises me, really, that lynchings aren't more common today... since I rarely meet anyone who isn't completely and utterly disappointed by what passes for justice these days...

With all those scandals about children being brutally raped and the rapists getting off easy... I often long for people to lynch these bastards and hang 'em high!

You can say what you want, but I believe death by hanging is a fate still too mild for someone who rapes a child age 12 or less. But at least such a fate prevents such a person from victimizing any other children.

Kraichgauer wrote:
As most such lynching victims tended to be horse thieves and cattle rustlers, the lynch mobs and vigilance committees were of the mindset that livestock was of more worth than human life.

Put yourself in a farmer's shoes.

For a cattle farmer, his livestock is key to his survival. And especially in the past, it also used to be key to the survival of entire neighborhoods... which fed on the meat and dairy produced by that livestock. Therefore, stealing livestock used to be no less than sacrilege in the mind of a farmer.

Kraichgauer wrote:
In the south, lynching was a purposeful means of racial terrorism to keep blacks suppressed.

Maybe it was during the days of "reconstruction", when the South were suffering under the tyranny of politically inexperience freed slaves (out for blood) & carpetbaggers. It was in fact this great injustice, driven by Northern resentment and hate, that drove slaver owner and former slave apart... and which further widened the gap between the North and the South that Lincoln had hoped to bridge. There was a lot of abuse from every side during that time period, and it's mostly Northern radicals who are to blame for this madness.

For most of the pariod between 1877 and 1964, however, Blacks and Whites in the South got along just fine. In fact, there was generally a lot more animosity between Blacks and Whites in the North, where segregation did not exist and Blacks were far less common. But I suppose they don't teach that in schools today, as that happens to be not exactly politically correct.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I don't know personally of any white lynching victims in the south. And if there was, it certainly didn't include the carnival atmosphere of hundreds if not thousands of whites rushing out to watch and cheer, then take gruesome souvenirs from the corpse, let alone use photos of the lynching on postcards.

Again, your prejudice shows.

Here's a picture of the lynching of White outlaw John Heath, which took place in Arizona :

Mod note: Offensive image removed

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 5:51 pm

One white man lynched by dozens of other white men.

It seems that most oppression against white men was carried out by other white men.

I mean, it wasn't the Chinese who persecuted white protestant heretics during the Inquisition, for example. It was white people.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jan 2019, 5:53 pm

Yeah, not having any more of this nonsense.