Astronomers now claim that Pluto should be a planet

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,337
Location: Scarlet Jungle of Krypton

09 Sep 2018, 10:54 pm

Astronomers claim Pluto should be a planet based on new research

Quote:
More than a decade after it was demoted, the debate over whether Pluto is a planet has been reignited by a new study.

New research from the University of Central Florida in Orlando claims the reason Pluto lost its planet status is "not valid".

In 2006, the International Astronomical Union, a global group of astronomy experts, established a definition of a planet that required it to "clear" its orbit, or in other words, be the largest gravitational force in its orbit, the Daily Mail reports.

Image
The new Florida study reviewed scientific literature from the past 200 years and found only one publication - from 1802 - that agreed with the IAU definition. Photo / 123RF

I've always followed the traditional view that Pluto is a planet and along with (I think) most people I rejected the "demotion" of Pluto by unelected perps.

Finally, vindication is at hand!
8)



Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,173
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

10 Sep 2018, 1:34 am

In true Pluto would be even more demoted, along with all the planets, as it should share it's classification with 110 other celestial bodies in the Solar System, and that's only the know ones.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,662
Location: temperate zone

10 Sep 2018, 3:49 am

Don't know which side to take.

According to one faction you have to demote Pluto, and say that there are eight planets. But if you go by the other faction then you reinstate Pluto, but then you have to promote 110 other objects in the solar system to being planets. Cant do that.

Pluto is an odd object.

On one hand its more subservient to another body (Neptune) then are any of the other eight planets. But on the other hand its more dominant than any of the other eight planets relative to its tiny size. Its a slave that owns its own slaves.

Pluto is barely above a moon of Neptune. Their orbits cross and its influenced by Nepture.

But on the other hand Pluto has four moons of its own. Which is shocking because Nepture is slightly smaller than the Earths moon, and yet it has four bodies orbiting it itself.



Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

10 Sep 2018, 5:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Don't know which side to take.

According to one faction you have to demote Pluto, and say that there are eight planets. But if you go by the other faction then you reinstate Pluto, but then you have to promote 110 other objects in the solar system to being planets. Cant do that.


Don’t forget you can also do what people do all the time for the sake of tribal loyalty: you can be inconsistent and screw science! :D


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,337
Location: Scarlet Jungle of Krypton

10 Sep 2018, 6:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Which is shocking because Nepture is slightly smaller than the Earths moon, and yet it has four bodies orbiting it itself.

I think you mean Pluto. Neptune is a gas giant.



kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,180

10 Sep 2018, 7:43 am

I read about how the debate has become ignited again.Honestly, I'm not sure where I stand on this, simply say that Pluto is a planet whether it be a mainstream or dwarf.


_________________
I'm an extremely vulnerable person. Vulnerability and emotion are very closely linked.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,314
Location: Stendec

10 Sep 2018, 8:45 am

Whether or not Pluto is classified as a planet doesn't change the fact that it is one.


_________________
"I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis."
-- Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

10 Sep 2018, 9:38 am

naturalplastic wrote:
. Which is shocking because Nepture is slightly smaller than the Earths moon, and yet it has four bodies orbiting it itself.


I think you mean Pluto.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,314
Location: Stendec

10 Sep 2018, 9:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
... Nepture is slightly smaller than the Earths moon, and yet it has four bodies orbiting it itself.
Mean radius of Earth's Moon: 1737.1 km
Mean radius of Neptune: 24,622 km

Neptune is 14.197 times the size of Earth's Moon.


_________________
"I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis."
-- Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

10 Sep 2018, 10:00 am

Just don't let anyone fool around with Uranus *rimshot*



Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 457
Location: England

10 Sep 2018, 1:50 pm

Reports the Daily Mail, you say...

Honestly, there are several planetary bodies beyond Pluto that could also be classified as planets if we choose to play fast and loose with definitions. I believe some lie either just before or within the Oort Cloud.

I think Pluto should retain its current status. Otherwise, we don't know what other bodies could be classified as.



Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 457
Location: England

10 Sep 2018, 1:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
Whether or not Pluto is classified as a planet doesn't change the fact that it is one.
I believe it's classified as a dwarf planet. In this sense, it is and it isn't.

On that note, should Eris also be reclassified? Wouldn't that mean we now have ten planets in the solar system? What about Ceres?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,314
Location: Stendec

10 Sep 2018, 2:43 pm

Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Whether or not Pluto is classified as a planet doesn't change the fact that it is one.
I believe it's classified as a dwarf planet. In this sense, it is and it isn't. On that note, should Eris also be reclassified? Wouldn't that mean we now have ten planets in the solar system? What about Ceres?
If it was entirely up to me, then any natural-occurring spherical body in a circular orbit around the Sun would be classified as a planet. But that's just me.


_________________
"I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis."
-- Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

10 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

We can always define planet this way:

Quote:
A planet is a celestial body that either
(a) is in orbit around the Sun,
(b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and
(c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit,
or
(a) is Pluto.


There! The familiar nine-planet list kids learned at school between 1930 and 2006 is back, because we can, and because lay people like annoying scientists! :D


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,662
Location: temperate zone

10 Sep 2018, 5:11 pm

Chronos wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
. Which is shocking because Nepture is slightly smaller than the Earths moon, and yet it has four bodies orbiting it itself.


I think you mean Pluto.


Yeah. I meant PLUTO (at 1400 miles across) is even smaller than our moon (at about 2000 miles across).

Was worried about being late for work and made a slip of the tongue about which of the two planet names I was using.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,662
Location: temperate zone

10 Sep 2018, 5:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Don't know which side to take.

According to one faction you have to demote Pluto, and say that there are eight planets. But if you go by the other faction then you reinstate Pluto, but then you have to promote 110 other objects in the solar system to being planets. Cant do that.

Pluto is an odd object.

On one hand its more subservient to another body (Neptune) then are any of the other eight planets. But on the other hand its more dominant than any of the other eight planets relative to its tiny size. Its a slave that owns its own slaves.

Pluto is barely above a moon of Neptune. Their orbits cross and its influenced by Nepture.

But on the other hand Pluto has four moons of its own. Which is shocking because Pluto is slightly smaller than the Earths moon, and yet it has four bodies orbiting it itself.


So Pluto is a "switch". It can be either dominant, or submissive. The most kinky of the planets. :o