naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 4:15 pm

Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mythos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Whether or not Pluto is classified as a planet doesn't change the fact that it is one.
I believe it's classified as a dwarf planet. In this sense, it is and it isn't. On that note, should Eris also be reclassified? Wouldn't that mean we now have ten planets in the solar system? What about Ceres?
If it was entirely up to me, then any natural-occurring spherical body in a circular orbit around the Sun would be classified as a planet. But that's just me.
I suppose it's all semantics at this point. Maybe we should just call them "Those big ball things what are in the sky or something". Works for me. I like simplification.

Changing from a handy word like "planet" to "T.B.B.T.W.A.I.T.S's" would be a complication, and not a simplification.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 5:28 pm

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 6:35 pm

Americans love Pluto. The cartoon dog above was named after it because Disney got his start about the same time it was discovered.

Love Pluto because it was discovered by an American, and probably also because,like American itself, Pluto's discovery happened because of a mistake when someone was trying to discover something else. Lol!

So Americans have a vested interest in keeping Pluto high status.

You could go by Fnord's criteria. The trouble is that if you did you would have to promote objects like the asteroid Ceres up to planet status. Ceres is only 480 miles wide (but it has a circular orbit around the Sun, and is spherical shaped).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:29 pm

To me, unscientifically speaking, a planet needs to have an atmosphere to be a planet. Pluto does have a thin atmosphere of mainly nitrogen. But the again I see that Ceres has a tenuous water vapor atmosphere.

Last edited by EzraS on 11 Sep 2018, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:30 pm

...Yip-Yip-Yippee! :lol: :P :D

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 5:16 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:

I'm waiting for Disneyland Pluto. It'll probably be someone among my distant descendants who actually gets to visit, though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 8:30 am

naturalplastic wrote:
... You could go by Fnord's criteria. The trouble is that if you did you would have to promote objects like the asteroid Ceres up to planet status. Ceres is only 480 miles wide (but it has a circular orbit around the Sun, and is spherical shaped).
Yes, and I see no problem with that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 9:10 am

I can see the contentedness in parsing the orbs into major and minor status planets, after all. it is a useful means of reducing the cerebral load of keeping track of them all.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 9:57 am

I like Pluto whether it's large or small, it's simply within the realm of our universe, as I feel there are so many things out there, there is no telling what new terms will be created.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:08 am

The bible says there are nine planets, so that's what science needs to stick with.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:15 am

And Jesus spoke English.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:20 am

I feel there could a multitude of planets within the Oort cloud though, at this time our technology and the extreme distance makes detecting them easily. Yes, several exo-planets have been found but, those were not easy found either so, I don't go by what some book says, end quote.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:21 am

Spiderpig wrote:
And Jesus spoke English.

Elizabethan English.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:41 am

EzraS wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
And Jesus spoke English.

Elizabethan English.

Jacobite English, to be technical about it. :-)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2018, 10:57 am

They can claims it's a gateway to an alternate dimension where humans all look like pigs and think humans in our world look ugly for all I care. :roll:

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2018, 1:56 pm

It all boils down to this: Define PLANET. Pluto was stripped of this status because it lacks sufficient gravity to clear its orbit of all debris...but in order to clear that orbit of all debris, Jupiter would lack enough gravity, in fact you would need a body FOUR TIMES as massive as Jupiter to do it.

I don't think Pluto should be considered a planet because of its composition--its essentially the head of a comet.