Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 11:42 am

People have a habit of hiring people only because of who they are related to or sleeping with. This tends to result in the hiring of people that are not really suited for the job because of lack of experience or qualifications. Other times it results in hiring someone that isn't going to stick around long or someone that ends up being a liability for the company. Hiring based on social connections is especially risky at schools because it is often not in the best interest of the students. What do you all think?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:41 pm

I agree with you. Look at the Trump White House if you need any validation!

Not only poor hiring decisions, but awkward management - how do you handle the situation if the relative needs to be disciplined or let go?

Anyway, I'm not in a position to manage anything, so it doesn't really matter what I think.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 9:36 pm

I always went with qualification and then experience. Many times I focused on younger talent and trained them. Most times I was not disappointed. There are some remarkable people out there.

I never did nepotism. I would probably avoid it.

TempeFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

Nepotism isn't as bad as all the other criteria( age, color, criminal history, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sex, and/or sexual orientation) that almost all employers exclusively use now. If you are a good worker and you hire family/friend/someone you kno,who is also a good worker, then the business benefits. If the new employee values the personal relationship, they may be less inclined to screw up. On the other hand, if the hiring manager is doling out jobs to get personal/sexual favors without regards to the best interests of the business or the new employee takes advantage of the personal relationship, that's a bad hire. As always, it depends on the integrity of the person doing the hiring and HR managers are more dishonest than lawyers, politicians and television executives combined. The reason it is so hard to find a decent job in America is that Education, work ethic and experience are no longer consider when evaluating a job applicant.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 9:39 am

Nepotism can be really bad and especially when someone is qualified and certified for certain things because it means higher rates of unfairness for them. They can be stuck lower positions, lower pay while struggling to climb out of the bottom Meanwhile, friends, family members, networks who aren't even qualified get all the positions and other opportunities that the other qualified employee should have gotten.

I saw that at one of my last positions which had supported employment with one adult who had CP that was a friend of the family where he got more pay and promotions. Not only did he get treated royally by the boss but also better treatment from the job coaches. They acted like he was "Normal" while everyone else was "Broken." Meanwhile, we got nothing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 10:11 am

<* cough *>... family-owned businesses ... <* cough *> <* cough *>

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.