Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2018, 5:43 am

A lot of forums have a very harsh tone. In the past I was once bullied on a forum as well by people much older than me when I was underage so some people are quite awful but I try to remind myself that they can't be very happy if they go after other people with the sole purpose to make them feel bad. Just try your best to ignore them or make a new account on the forum and start over if they keep bothering you.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 6:16 am

superaliengirl wrote:
A lot of forums have a very harsh tone. In the past I was once bullied on a forum as well by people much older than me when I was underage so some people are quite awful but I try to remind myself that they can't be very happy if they go after other people with the sole purpose to make them feel bad. Just try your best to ignore them or make a new account on the forum and start over if they keep bothering you.

Thank you. The Mods are handling the situation now

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2018, 6:23 am

teksla wrote:
I recently joined a parrot forum to discuss my love of parrots with other like minded people. Some users thought i was not welcome.

I am very sad now.

PM received from another user on that forum:

"You are probably young and of the bohoooo-this-is-sooooo-unfair-generation, most of us auties/spectrum-people have learned not to blame the other party for not handling us with kidgloves and just deal with our own brand of autism in the real world.

Everyone on this planet is living his/her own life - don't expect to be catered for always, most of them are busy with more important things.

Learn to phrase your scentences more like "this is my experience" or "I've been told..." instead of "this is the way it is, no other options are possible"
(especially since you have been wrong SO many times already it is quite annoying ! Maybe you've read a lot and think you know it al...well, you dont.).

I am not saying you are not allowed to make mistakes --we all do! But you might tone it down a bit.
You read like "mister/miss(es) High and Mighty" - and nobody likes a know-it-all.

Personally I think you are too selfabsorbed to keep a grey - they are very sensitive birds and you need to be to!
But maybe you'll get a great teacher- who knows...

I did not post this reaction (in your thread) to make you agree with me - I was trying to help.
You are being an idiot, your choice, not my fault.
(Do your how to import/export/keep a threathened species homework. A lot of the rules have changed since they became CITESbirds.)

You may not like me much - that is okay.
(I am not impressed with the way you go about this forum either - even taking your autism into account.)
Pointing fingers and screaming bloody murder does not make you well liked or even prove anything.
At least I am taking the time to tell you you are f*ing up so you can change --most people will just ignore you and move on, never to look back."

This is a good example of the blind trying to lead the blind. In any case, I am glad the mods of the parrot forum have decided this person's communication with you was inappropriate. And no, you do not have to phrase that which you know to be true as opinions or experiences if you don't want to. Some of these truths will be subjective and some won't and you have agency over how you choose to categorize them, at whatever risk to your reputation. It is part of being an independent person with your own mind.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Sep 2018, 3:32 am

I went through a bad depression & loneliness & one of the things that helped me deal & cope with things was posting about them online. It helped me analyze, sort things out, get some things out of my system by just getting it out there, & get advice & other prospectives. I posted about things alot cuz I was really hung-up on things. People got tired of my many posts about similar issues. Some members started talking to me kind of like how you were talked to OP cuz they were extremely frustrated with me & they probably felt they were helping or maybe just trying to help. They felt I was beating a dead horse & needed to be told very explicitly. They came off as very harsh to me & I decided to leave the forum after a while of that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 11:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
The person may have sincerely believed that he or she was being helpful before you got booted from the website. In that respect, I envy you. Most people who don't know me just call me a few names and cut me off completely.

Because, in my experience, I have had to learn, all on my own...

... that blaming others does not make me popular.

... that complaining does not make me popular.

... that I can allow myself to make mistakes.

... that others are too busy with their own problems to care about mine.

... that while ignorance can be cured, stupidity is a choice.

... to at least try to be helpful (I still react badly to being rejected).

... to be less self-absorbed (nigh impossible for an Aspie!).

... to just deal with being in the real world.

... to not blame others for not being nice to me.

... to not expect others to care.

... to not expect to be catered to.

... to phrase my sentences with "in my opinion...", "it seems that...", "according to...", "in my experience..." or "someone told me..." instead of "this is the way it is, and no other options are possible" even when I know that I am absolutely correct.

I don't see any part of this list where Fnord has called you an idiot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 11:36 pm

I remember being bullied off this very forum and I didn't come back on here for a few days. The bullying took place in the most inappropriate sub forum of this site, The Haven.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 11:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't see any part of this list where Fnord has called you an idiot.

Misinterpretation. The person who messaged the OP called her an idiot, not Fnord:

teksla wrote:
You are being an idiot, your choice, not my fault.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 10:47 am

For example on this thread, nobody starts all sentences by "in my opinion...", "I think that...".

Maybe your opinions differ from the widely accepted opinions, then you are more likely to be bullied. In this case, the above wordings may help sometimes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 10:50 am

One shouldn't let somebody "bully" them off a computer forum. It sets a bad precedent for the future.

People have to stop and defend themselves sometimes if they feel bullied.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Not everyone is capable of doing that. Because of their current mental state, being just not that kind of person (non-confrontational). And people on the spectrum are often especially not that great at communicating. Have talked to a few who got banned from several forums, for the most silly reasons, moderators defending the bullies even because they were in big groups, ganging up on the weaker one. I was a moderator on a forum where that happened several times and quite because I was fed up with the behavior of the other moderators. As a community, we need to watch out for those people, protect them, and keep them safe. Just my 2 cents.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:19 am

You don’t think I think the same as you do?

I had no idea how to defend myself until recently. But it has to get done.

I'm not a big guy. I'm 5 foot 5, 164 centimetres. And chubby, maybe neckbeardish at times.

You don’t think I’d defend someone if I felt he/she were being bullied?

I am an advocate for the downtrodden, just like you are.

Would I ever defend a bully? Hell no!

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 12:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You don’t think I think the same as you do?

I had no idea how to defend myself until recently. But it has to get done.

I'm not a big guy. I'm 5 foot 5, 164 centimetres. And chubby, maybe neckbeardish at times.

You don’t think I’d defend someone if I felt he/she were being bullied?

I am an advocate for the downtrodden, just like you are.

Would I ever defend a bully? Hell no!

Of course I do, didn't expect anything less from you. It wasn't a personal attack, just sharing my opinion on the matter. Sincerely apologize that you took it personally, was not my intent at all.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 5:54 pm

LoneLoyalWolf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Not everyone is capable of doing that. Because of their current mental state, being just not that kind of person (non-confrontational). And people on the spectrum are often especially not that great at communicating. Have talked to a few who got banned from several forums, for the most silly reasons, moderators defending the bullies even because they were in big groups, ganging up on the weaker one. I was a moderator on a forum where that happened several times and quite because I was fed up with the behavior of the other moderators. As a community, we need to watch out for those people, protect them, and keep them safe. Just my 2 cents.

The fact someone can also get into trouble for defending themselves because they will be seen as being part of the drama.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 6:58 pm

Apparently there are people who think you can be ruder and more derogatory in a PM than you would in open forum. They don't realize how very easily you can repost a PM. I would not repost the contents of a PM without cause, but if someone is using that modality to blast me, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

This has happened to me at WP. Someone I scarcely knew existed, decided to let me know in a PM how much they don't want to hear from me. But it didn't stop there! More evil PMs! Fortunately, the mods saw it my way and the person got a very stern warning - and has avoided me ever since.

While not every mod decision is a correct one, on the whole and based on my experience at many other sites, the mods here are quite good. They have a largely thankless task (SO THANK YOU, MODS!!) and generally they do it with maturity and grace.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

You might want to check out the thread on Correcting People. Part of your reaction could be due to needing the other person to acknowledge that you are right. I may recognize this, or see it in you (and it may not be there) because I have certainly known the intense fury and fear of knowing I am correct and other people won't acknowledge it.

The reason I focus on "my" reaction and actions is because that is the only thing I have any influence over. Changing other people, or living a magical life in which no one is ever rude, just has not worked for me. :D

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The fact someone can also get into trouble for defending themselves because they will be seen as being part of the drama.

That is a funny one. Good point. People confront you, passive aggressively or just aggressively insult you, and when you defend yourself, people tell you that you are causing drama, being sensitive and a crybaby. But in reality, who is sensitive and crying about drama? But when you say that, you are looking for trouble, causing conflict. When people have it out for you, they twist and turn your words into nothing but bad. And they can bore you into the ground and get away with anything. It's insane, ridiculous and heartless. Manipulation, gaslighting, passive aggressive behavior, they throw everything into the mix to defeat you. People that do that are heartless, hypocrites and just plain pathetic. They even enjoy it too, that is the worst part, the sadists.