What is the most important part of John Chapter 8

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Which topic is the most important in John Chapter 8?
Let him who is without a sin throw the first stone (John 8:7) 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12) 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
The Truth shall set you free (John 8:32) 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Jews are the children of the devil (John 8:44) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Before Abraham was I am (John 8:58) 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2018, 6:14 pm

One cool thing about John Chapter 8 is that it puts many different ideas in one single chapter, each of which is a one big topic all on its own (see poll options). Which of those would you, personally, consider the most important part of John chapter 8?

CLARIFICATION: I did NOT mean to ask which part reflects your, personal, views most closely. RATHER I am trying to ask which part is the focal point of that chapter, from the point of view of its author.

Last edited by MalchikBrodyaga on 17 Sep 2018, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 6:21 pm

I think the first one is most important. It means: don't be a damn hypocrite.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 2:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think the first one is most important. It means: don't be a damn hypocrite.

The best early manuscripts don’t include the story of the adultress, so there’s an ongoing dispute whether this actually belongs in the Bible. It’s tricky because Jesus never disputed the validity of ancient law, and because it’s so obvious you have to wonder why they even bothered to bring her before Jesus first to begin with. It’s out of character, even for the Pharisees. If they really wanted to know, why not just ask?

The story is included most likely for the sake of tradition. It might have actually happened and the story got out, but got omitted when the gospel was first written.

Jesus was often dismissive of hypocrites, though. His response is consistent with what we know about Him elsewhere. I wonder if the circumstances might have been a setup. She was caught in the act. How did they catch her? Was this a case of sexual assault? Did her husband set her up so he could get rid of her? Where/who was the man she was caught with? Jesus didn’t deny that she had sinned—however, sins committed under duress, by force, out of abandonment, or deliberate seduction are still sins. Jesus emphasized mercy and compassion, and perhaps understanding, too.

It’s one of those things we can’t know for sure actually happened, but we want to believe it did.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 2:26 pm

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." -- John 8:12 (NIV)

This is the gist of all of the four Gospels (and perhaps the entire Bible); thus, it is the most important verse of those you offered.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2018, 3:56 pm

By principle, the first is the key to a better humanity. By impact, probably that Jesus is the light of the world.

Fnord wrote:
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." -- John 8:12 (NIV)

This is the gist of all of the four Gospels (and perhaps the entire Bible); thus, it is the most important verse of those you offered.
I suppose in a way, it's like how all stories have a principle thread but there are many smaller, less significant but no less intriguing arcs.

The bible is multiple books, so there's no way to claim one is absolutely the most important. For example, the Old Testament of course doesn't concern itself with Jesus' teachings. Are these values meant to lead into the New Testament and thus be equally as important, or go forgotten?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 4:32 pm

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
Which of those would you, personally, consider the most important part of John chapter 8?
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
RATHER I am trying to ask which part is the focal point of that chapter, from the point of view of its author.

Here we have a... disparity, because you first asked specifically for what WE, personally, consider to be the focal-point. Then you switch it to asking what the author's focal-point was. I cannot speak for John, for I knew him not personally, but I do know that Jesus was known to speak in «poetic» prose (what is essentially in a «rhythmic» manner).

When «translated», that «rhyming» may be lost in translation, but I also need to point out that I have plenty of reason to believe that «God» was simply speaking through Jesus (a form of so-called «channeling») and using him as an Avatar, rather than Jesus being God (contrary to the «popular-beliefs» of so many fundamentalists/orthodoxies). You might say that it was a form of «ventriloquism» and, of course, I find that it makes a hell of a lot more sense that heeding God's message IS the way to salvation, rather than a «literal following» and adoration/adulteration/worship of a man (mortal) whom many refer to as Jesus Christ.

I now quote from The Testament of Truth... (see http://www.the-testament-of-truth.co.uk/truth/web/other13.htm#page_189 for full text of entire letter)

In the days of 'Jesus,' he wrote naught but only 'spoke' the message from God, and his spirit soul walks again in MY flesh NOW. It is NOW at this time of global 'instant' communication that my pen PERSONALLY writes THE STORY and assuredly, any person defying IT, - - - GOD'S message VIA my pen, WILL fail and fall because, everyone has been taught that they CAN 'sin' - - cause pain etc., and NOT suffer within God's Law. Thus they continue to 'sin' as they defy God's Command in one way or another, as they 'bow' to the State religion. (THE Doctrine of interference, subjugation, punishment, extortion, warfare and killing etc.) (In conflict with God's Command)

I state that everyone IS subject to God's LAW whether they believe it to so be or otherwise, and I tell everyone that IF they fail to fortify their minds in the manner given by God VIA His pen (mine) that their minds will be overpowered by dark thoughts and, they WILL retaliate in the face of adversity and THUS 'die in their sin' as they draw MORE dark energy into their souls.

I have returned AS a 'thief in the night' meaning, that NONE can see my PURE soul, and I appear to be a simpleton BECAUSE there is NO reason for me to have any 'followers' for it IS THE MESSAGE I BRING which must be followed.