Pregnant aspie - what is the inheritance % of Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Toroid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2018, 3:26 pm

Hey! I'm new here.
I just found out that I am pregnant, the father is a bit quirky but not diagnosed with anything. Myself I have a diagnosis of Asperger's and schizoaffective syndrome.
What are the odds of having an aspie? I would be delighted.
The OCEAN test is inheritable and stable throughout life, I guess I will get the world's least agreeable kid, with the highest openness :lol:
I read somewhere that the chances of having a low-functioning autistic child was null as an aspie.
Anyone can point me to some resources and/or share personal experiences?

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2018, 3:33 pm

I have 4/4 aspies but my last had extra probs with delays and speech issues so be very aware and make sure you take no crap from docs. Always work on early interventions because it makes so much difference if you spot and fix the probs as they come.

Good luck with everything and congratulations :)

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 3:49 pm

Toroid wrote:
Anyone can point me to some resources and/or share personal experiences?

My children are both NT and visual thinkers in opposit to me. I think there is at least a 50% chance for being NT.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2018, 4:09 pm

I might have 1/2.

Watching other sites/ threads, I ended up thinking the average comes in somewhere around 50%.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 11:01 pm

Congratulations! :D

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:58 am

For my family Asperger's Syndrome seem to run all the way up and down the line with all the males in the family. My father had it, my two uncles had it or his two brothers, and my brothers on my father's side all had it as well. If you end up being pregnant with a girl there's a much greater chance that Asperger's Syndrome won't be passed on.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2018, 4:05 pm

If I once will have a child and even if he or she was NT, can the child learn to communicate well? Things like eye contact, nonverbal communication... Can not the child learn it from me wrong?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 4:29 pm

qwerwe wrote:
If I once will have a child and even if he or she was NT, can the child learn to communicate well? Things like eye contact, nonverbal communication... Can not the child learn it from me wrong?

Yes and no. Kids in kindergarten and school are more with other kids and teachers than with you. For this I think it's not really a problem.

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2018, 5:25 pm

Id like to add that I have 3 x girls and 1 boy all asd so the gender thing I dont think applies. Its just harder to see in girls so they are less likely diagnosed. Also if you know you need to work hard on teaching a child language etc then you can teach anything in my experience.

My youngest has gone from no speech to excellent vocab now and Im still shocked actually at how much the work paid off. The other things are maybe more an individual outcome and I dont think its right to force anything, so if my child finds eye contact uncomfortable then so be it. I wont train them like circus animals to force it, but you can definitely work on it if they are ok, over time.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:00 am

I am NT, my husband is an aspie. We both have autism in our families. Our one son is neurotypical, with a car salesman-like personality (opposite to autistic). He does display some autistic mannerisms that he has obviously learned from his dad. He also shows a clear preference for autistic kids and adults. It’s kind of like he gets the best of both worlds.