Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 5:59 pm

‘The Reason I Jump’ Autism Movie in Production at Paul Allen’s Vulcan

Quote:
Paul G. Allen’s Vulcan Productions is producing Naoki Higashida’s bestseller “The Reason I Jump” as a documentary about autism, Variety has learned exclusively.

The book was written in 2005 by Higashida, who was 13 at the time, and published in Japan in 2007. The English translation was published in 2013. Higashida wrote the book to help communicate his own needs and thoughts to his family, and shine a light for other autistic individuals around the world. Most of the memoir is told through 58 questions Higashida and other people dealing with autism are commonly asked.

The film is presented by Vulcan Productions, the British Film Institute, the Idea Room, MetFilm Production, and Runaway Fridge. The producers include Stevie Lee, Jeremy Dear, and Al Morrow. Allen is an executive producer along with Carole Tomko, Jannat Gargi, and Rocky Collins.

The film, announced on Wednesday, is in production and part of a larger effort from Vulcan Productions to spotlight various issues, including uncovering the mysteries of the human brain. Allen is the founder of the Allen Institute for Brain Science and has contributed more than $500 million to the organization.

“Naoki’s book transformed my understanding of autism and I hope we can translate it onto the screen with as much simplicity, elegance, and power as in his writing,” Rothwell said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 6:10 am

Sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 9:49 pm

I also look forward to watching the movie. I've been thinking of writing a book titled, "The Reasons I Do the Things I Do". I can't really get started until the communications room at my clubhouse is reopened. A pipe busted and most of the water damaged the floor in that room.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 8:19 am

The link doesn't work but that seems very fascinating (:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 8:05 pm

It sounds like an interesting movie. I found the book very interesting.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 9:49 pm

I just watched this using Kanopy streaming video. It is also available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Kanopy is a free streaming service that is available from my public library Kanopy: Stream thousands of films for free, thanks to the generous support of your public library or university

I thought the film was very good. Would be great if everyone would watch this. It gives a fairly balanced look at non-verbal autism across the world showing both the successes and some of the worst challenges. Even though I have been studying ASD for 2 years now, I haven't had much opportunity to get this kind of understanding of non-verbal autistics.

I also noticed there are many spectrum films, on Kanopy mostly, that I hadn't heard of. Hope to get a chance to see more of them.