Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 9:18 pm

List all of your favorite old horror movies here (basically anything made before the year 2000)

Here is my list:

Night of the Living Dead (both the 1968 original and 1990 remake)
Day of the Dead
Zombie aka Zombi 2
Hell of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
Carrie
The Shining
Children of the Corn
Cujo
IT
Psycho
House on Haunted Hill
Carnival of Souls
Nosferatu
Pumpkinhead
The Craft
The Blair Witch Project
Bride of Chucky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2018, 11:02 pm

Re-Animator
Cthulhu
The Shining
The Thing (John Carpenter version)
Nosferatu (original)
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (both original and remake)
From Beyond
A Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
Angel Heart
The Hitcher (original)

I am certain there are many more.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 9:32 am

Here is a list of some of my favorite horror films:

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

Day Of The Dead (1985)

Suspiria (1977)

Phantasm (1979)

Hell Of The Living Dead (1980)

Zombi 2 (1979)

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

The Evil Dead (1981)

Gremlins (1984)

Cujo (1983)

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

The Exorcist (1973)

The Last House On The Left (1972)

Carrie (1976)

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 3, 2018)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 4:41 pm

^I've seen, and like, every movie listed above. So, to them, I'll add these foreign films:

Misbegotten
Cannibal
Melancholie der Engel
Audition
The Last House On the Left

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 5:01 pm

Any old black-and-white monster movie starring Lon Cheney Sr., Boris Karloff, and/or Bela Lugosi.

They weren't about blood, gore and on-camera mutilations; they were about suspense, and they had actual plots and character development -- not like the crap you see today.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 05 Oct 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 5:02 pm

The Birds

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 5:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Any old black-and-white monster movie starring Lon Cheney Sr., Boris Karloff, and/or Bela Lugosi.

They weren't about blood, gore and on-camera mutilations; they were about suspense, and they had actual plots and character development -- not like the crap you see today.

I feel like a lot of the crap you see today doesn't even have the blood and gore. Most new horror movies are rated PG13 now. :lol:

Everything nowadays seems to be a copycat of either The Ring or The Blair Witch Project. :roll:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 5:58 pm

Also I forgot to add these to my list:

The Others
The Skeleton Key
The Ring
Jeepers Creepers
Ju-On
Ju-On 2
Sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 6:34 pm

--Universal Pictures horror films

--The Hammer Film Productions horror films

Anything else?

Of course, Carnival of Souls, which influenced zombie movies for decades (and was filmed primarily in Utah).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 7:05 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

Of course, Carnival of Souls, which influenced zombie movies for decades (and was filmed primarily in Utah).

I think it also influenced "The Shining". :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 7:27 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Probably, it "has been cited as a wide-ranging influence on numerous filmmakers, including David Lynch and George A. Romero" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Souls>, so why not Stanley Kubrick?

The Salt Lake City & County Building <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City_and_County_Building> featured in Carnival of Souls, the Halloweentown movie series as well as hosting the state's second largest outdoor annual event, the Utah Pride Festival <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Pride_Festival>.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 7:34 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Probably, it "has been cited as a wide-ranging influence on numerous filmmakers, including David Lynch and George A. Romero" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Souls>, so why not Stanley Kubrick?

The Salt Lake City & County Building <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City_and_County_Building> featured in Carnival of Souls, the Halloweentown movie series as well as hosting the state's second largest outdoor annual event, the Utah Pride Festival <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Pride_Festival>.

I could definitely tell the similarities between Carnival of Souls and Night of the Living Dead the first time I watched it.

A young pretty blonde girl with a quirky personality getting chased by ghouls and slowly loosing her mind from the panic and fear. :P

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:58 am

When I read 'classic horror' my first thought was the old ones in black and white, of which I only like one (that I can think of right now anyway). Seeing as the cut off point is the 2000's, my list includes:

Invasion of the body snatchers (1956, 1978, 1993). Absolutely LOVE these movies and the main idea
Tremors (LOVE these movies too)

Child's Play 1-3
The Shining
Children of the Corn
Nightmare On Elm Street
The Thing
Gremlins

I'd really like to add The Ring to my list, but it's a 2002 movie.

I might have forgotten some.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 12:47 pm

Anything before 2000??? That's a pretty huge list. Mid-90s to 2000s were a pretty dry time for GOOD horror, and I don't have a lot of favorites after that (though there are some really good ones out there).

Halloween 1-3 (and sometimes 4-5), The Thing, The Crazies, Night of the Living Dead (though the 1990 remake is easier to rewatch IMO), Dawn of the Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, haven't seen the original), Troll 2, Manos: Hands of Fate, Mystery of the Wax Museum (and the Vincent Price 3D remake), Freaks...I'd have to go upstairs and check my collection for more...

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (1994) is pretty good, but I haven't seen an adaptation of Dracula that was anywhere near as good as the book. I want to see the Spanish version from 1931, though.

I finally watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 this year, maybe three times, and it's already one of my all-time faves.

Just about anything starring Vincent Price; especially if co-starring Peter Lorre; especially if written by Richard Matheson.

Just about anything from John Carpenter or George A. Romero.

I still need to get The Crazies, Manos, and the TV version of Halloween 1 on DVD.

TW1ZTY wrote:
The Ring

I didn't care for the American remake(s), but I love the original Japanese movies: Ring, Spiral, and my favorite, Ring 0: Birthday (I can live without Ring 2, which retcons Spiral). The South Korean Ring Virus is good too, but the DVD itself is very poor quality.

I wish Loop had a film, because Sadako 3D assumes you know what happened.

Does Battle Royale count as a horror film? Because that movie is awesome.

Last edited by SabbraCadabra on 06 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
--The Hammer Film Productions horror films

Yes. I bought Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter last year, and it's fantastic.

Sorry about splitting up this post, but CloudFlare wouldn't let me put it all in one post for some reason.

Skilpadde wrote:
I'd really like to add The Ring to my list, but it's a 2002 movie.

The original Japanese film is from 1998 =)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

I actually liked the American remake of the The Ring better than the original Japanese version but at the same time I liked the original Japanese Ju-On movies better than I did the American remakes known as The Grudge.

And I forgot those other movies I listed were made in the 2000s so I guess that's why I didn't list them. :oops: