Is my request to go to a different school silly?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

HesitantAlien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2018, 4:40 am

Public school is extremely stressful for me. I never went to middle school and was absent most of the 9th grade. I'm now in the 10th grade which has been in for months and I haven't gone.

We're trying to get an IEP but I'm worried about what it's even gonna achieve. An IEP won't magically make me comfortable in school after years of school refusal. Being honest I don't think I'm gonna be able to attend public high school even with an IEP.

The IEP meeting will be in probably about a month and I'm thinking of asking them to send me to a special education/autism school but the thing is that in the US they're supposed to try to put you in the least restrictive environment possible. Special schools are generally only for those who are low functioning or behaves too inappropriate to be put in public school.

I'm worried that because I'm high functioning they will think it's a silly request. Also, there are no special schools near here so it would probably be in a different county which makes the situation even harder. Is this request silly?