No one talks to me on social media. Why ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 1:32 pm

When I first started using social media, I wanted to feel like everyone else by posting interesting photos and statuses and funny jokes but after a while I found it frustrating that I wasn't getting a lot of likes and comments except from family and not from people I was 'friends' especially from school or college and that everyone else had hundreds of 'friends' and I had a few 'friends'. I then resorted to writing negative posting on social media (like 'Oh I feel really low', Sigh...., and so on) as a way of getting people to talk to me and in the end I gave up uploading photos and stuff. It didn't always help me when people stopped messaging me, deleted me, blocked me or sent angry messages to stop messaging them and so on and it made me feel like everyone thinks I'm a boring loser and are not interested in me.
I felt like I just wanted to be part of everyone else and when no one was acknowledging me it frustrated me.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 3:55 pm

I never got the hang of any of it. It was a relief when facebook shut me out. I didn't know my password, saved by

my subconscious I think :D .

I've noticed the threads on here that get the most responses ask simple, quick to answer, questions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 4:34 pm

chris1989 wrote:
No one talks to me on social media. Why?
To get people interested in you, you must first make yourself interesting to them.

Are the photos and jokes already all over the Internet?

Why would anyone be interested in another status report from you?

What makes you think you are boring? What steps have you taken to NOT be boring?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:01 pm

You're probably not fake enough.

sharkattack2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 5:02 pm

chris1989 wrote:
When I first started using social media, I wanted to feel like everyone else by posting interesting photos and statuses and funny jokes but after a while I found it frustrating that I wasn't getting a lot of likes and comments except from family and not from people I was 'friends' especially from school or college and that everyone else had hundreds of 'friends' and I had a few 'friends'. I then resorted to writing negative posting on social media (like 'Oh I feel really low', Sigh...., and so on) as a way of getting people to talk to me and in the end I gave up uploading photos and stuff. It didn't always help me when people stopped messaging me, deleted me, blocked me or sent angry messages to stop messaging them and so on and it made me feel like everyone thinks I'm a boring loser and are not interested in me.
I felt like I just wanted to be part of everyone else and when no one was acknowledging me it frustrated me.

Being on the Autism spectrum makes us bad at social contact and relationships.
Social media is not a good place for people with ASD.
I am just across the water from you in Ireland.
I am nearly 20 years older than you if your interested is sharing some private chats I would be willing to talk.

I must warn you I am not good socially either but maybe I could share a few hits and tips to dealing with ASD.
I don't really make friends as such so if you do want to chat I will try to be helpful but somewhat boring too.

There is no magic bullet for us taking to somebody else on the spectrum can be helpful however.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:16 pm

Have you tried joining Facebook groups related to your special interests?
You might have more success that way.

sharkattack2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 5:19 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Have you tried joining Facebook groups related to your special interests?
You might have more success that way.

I got rid of facebook a few years ago.

People sharing likes thumbs up and so on was just empty and depressing.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:23 pm

I've found the special interest groups very informative and helpful.
I get lots of inspiration from tumblr too.

evilsithwraith666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2018, 7:58 pm

I’ve actually mostly abandoned social media or at the very least I’ve corrupted it to my own ends- turning them into ad-hoc news sources for topics I’m interested in, I’ve long abandoned the “social” aspect of them even before being blocked & told-off by a couple of people. My remaining element on Facebook is to have intellectual conversations with smart friends or like-minded friends or to coordinate in games like Pokémon go. But simply put I have no real need to emulate neurotypicals- the more neutotypical they are, the more boring & petty they’ll be, most if not all of my friends that have stuck with me throughout my exile from real-life have a mental disability of some form like adhd or anxiety.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:51 am

If the sorts of troglodytes who are addicted to Facebook aren't interested in your company, it probably means you genuinely have a personality.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:52 am

You'd be better off deleting your account. I last used Facebook in 2012, MySpace in 2008 and have never had Twitter or Instagram or any of the other nonsense. Never missed any of it, either.