SCOTUS - North Dakota can enforce voter ID laws

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 9:21 am

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What's wrong with proving that you are eligible to vote? I don't see the problem with that.

Otherwise, you'll get what used to happen in places like Chicago: People voting multiple times.

Maybe they are worried that it will keep illegal immigrants from voting for democrats.

You have proof of that, of course.

I mean, Trump empaneled his goons to investigate all that and their report must show this, right? Oh, I remember now, Trump dissolved that commission because they couldn't find anything.

"The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, also called the Voter Fraud Commission, was a Presidential Commission established by Donald Trump that ran from May 11, 2017 to January 3, 2018."

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:06 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
I mean, Trump empaneled his goons to investigate all that and their report must show this, right? Oh, I remember now, Trump dissolved that commission because they couldn't find anything.

Oh, come on, man! That's just being way too mean to Trump's investigative commission! Some things were found.

Quote:
WHO IS REGISTERED TO VOTE IN TWO STATES? SOME IN TRUMP'S INNER CIRCLE (AND FAMILY)

On Wednesday, Mr. Trump had announced in a pair of tweets that he would be asking for a “major investigation” into voter fraud, “including those registered to vote in two states.”

Since then, a variety of news organizations have found that several members of Mr. Trump’s inner circle were registered in more than one state during the election. Several still are. There is no evidence that any of them voted twice.

Registered in two states

• TIFFANY TRUMP, Mr. Trump’s youngest daughter, was registered in Pennsylvania and New York, NBC News reported.

• JARED KUSHNER, his son-in-law and close adviser, was registered in New York and New Jersey, according to The Washington Post.

• Steve Bannon, Mr. Trump’s strategist, was registered to vote in Florida and New York, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune found.

• Sean Spicer, his press secretary, was registered in both Virginia and Rhode Island, according to The Washington Post.

• Steven Mnuchin, who is nominated to lead the Treasury Department, was registered in New York and California, CNN found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/us/p ... ation.html

Quote:
IOWA WOMAN CHARGED WITH VOTING TWICE FOR TRUMP PLEADS GUILTY

An Iowa woman charged with voting twice for Donald Trump last fall has pleaded guilty to election misconduct.

Court records show Terri Lynn Rote entered a plea on June 27 to the felony charge and a district court judge in Des Moines accepted the plea. Sentencing

Rote, who is 56 and lives in Des Moines, told police she turned in two absentee ballots before the November election because she believed Trump's unsubstantiated claims that the election was rigged and that her first ballot would be changed to a vote for Hillary Clinton.

She was arrested on Oct. 21 at a satellite voting station in Des Moines attempting to vote the second ballot.

I just cannot abide by lies being spread about Pissident Donald Dotard!

:lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:20 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What's wrong with proving that you are eligible to vote? I don't see the problem with that.

Otherwise, you'll get what used to happen in places like Chicago: People voting multiple times.

Maybe they are worried that it will keep illegal immigrants from voting for democrats.

You have proof of that, of course.

Since when do musings that start out with the word "maybe" require proof?

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 10:52 am

Quote:
COLUMN: IN FACT-FREE AMERICA, MAYBE MILLIONS OF TRUMP SUPPORTERS VOTED TWICE

A team of 12 angels guides me every time I write a column. I stopped using fluoride and now, when alone, I can move objects with my mind. And you each owe me $50.

Don't believe those things? Too bad. The burden is on you, dear reader, to prove me wrong.

This is the world we live in now. This is America at the end of 2016. Truth and fiction have become one — it's now called Triction — and facts exist in a useless limbo between nonexistence and irrelevancy.

Scottie Nell Hughes, a CNN political commentator and supporter of President-elect Donald Trump, said on NPR last week: "There's no such thing, unfortunately, anymore as facts."

She prefaced that conclusion by trying to defend Trump's recent evidence-free claim that "millions of people" voted illegally in the November election. Hughes said Trump and his supporters "believe they have facts to back that up," while those who don't like Trump "say that those are lies, and there's no facts to back it up."

The truth is there are no facts or evidence to back up Trump's claim. None.

But the Triction is that some conspiracy-theory websites that pretend to be news organizations published words claiming millions of people illegally voted. That, to Hughes and Trump and those around him, constitutes a fact.

So while the facts on my side — the ones that require evidence to be proven true — say Trump's lying, the facts on Trump's side say, "Facts don't exist. Prove me wrong, loser!" The burden of proof has been switched around.

'Populist' Trump fills Cabinet with billionaires and Wall Street tycoons
So while the facts on my side — the ones that require evidence to be proven true — say Trump's lying, the facts on Trump's side say, "Facts don't exist. Prove me wrong, loser!" The burden of proof has been switched around.

Incoming White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, when asked about Trump's unfounded illegal voter claim by John Dickerson on Sunday's "Face the Nation," said: "I don't know if that's not true, John."

That's a fantastic sentence. Priebus doesn't know if it's NOT true.

If I say, "There are chinchillas in my underpants and they've been living there for quite some time," a reasonable person would say: "I don't know if that's true." But no reasonable person would say, "I don't know if that's not true," unless that person had a vested interest in keeping open the possibility that my underpants double as long-term chinchilla housing.

House Speaker Paul Ryan was asked about Trump's millions of illegal voters on "60 Minutes" Sunday. With the bravery of an underpants-dwelling chinchilla, Ryan said: "I don't know. I'm not really focused on these things."

Fact and fiction, truth and lies. What high-ranking government official can be bothered with such trivialities?

Ryan concluded: "It doesn't matter to me."

That much is clear.

Vice President-elect Mike Pence also was grilled on a Sunday show about Trump's Triction, and rather than go old school and acknowledge there's no evidence that millions of people voted illegally, he said this: "Well, look, I think he's expressed his opinion on that. And he's entitled to express his opinion on that. And I think the American people — I think the American people find it very refreshing that they have a president who will tell them what's on his mind."

It is refreshing to have a president-elect who tells us what's on his mind, but it would be even more refreshing if those things on his mind could be shown to have some grounding in what we used to call reality.

But that's clearly not going to happen. And so we're left to accept that facts are of no use to Trump's supporters or to the people who will be part of his administration. (Will it even be called an "administration"? What if Trump's pals at the website Breitbart write a story saying the word "administration" never existed and the new president dubs it a Prez Posse? What's to stop him?)

To be honest, the whole Triction concept is liberating. And I'm not just saying that because my abs are amazing and I once dated Nicole Kidman. (You don't know if that's not true!)

It seems clear the best thing I can do moving forward is share some shocking news: Millions of Trump supporters voted twice on Nov. 8, swinging the vote count in crucial swing states and costing Hillary Clinton the election.

This is a fact, based on our current definition of facts as being things that no longer exist. I know about this game-changing voter fraud because I read it on the internet. It was a tweet sent early Monday by nationally syndicated and astonishingly handsome Chicago Tribune columnist Rex Huppke.

I ask, in the name of Triction, that you do everything possible to share this news, without question or desire for supporting evidence, with everyone you know. Attribute it to this Huppke fellow and tweet it and post it on Facebook and shout it at your neighbors and scrawl it on a piece of paper and tape it on the door of your neighborhood grocery store.

I'll repeat it: Millions of Trump supporters voted twice on Nov. 8, swinging the vote count in crucial swing states and costing Hillary Clinton the election.

I believe I have the facts to back that statement up. And if I don't, I can tell you this much about this voter fraud claim: I don't know if it's not true.

It could be. Anything's possible these days.

At least that's what the dozen angels guiding my hands as I type this column tell me.

Now please spread the word. And don't forget to get me that $50 you owe me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html