Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

I’ve just had an interesting email from my brother in which he said he hates small talk and dislikes interaction as what do you say. I wouldn’t say I hate small talk(too strong a description for me) though I’m not fond of it and really struggle with it.I also don’t know what to say conversation wise and have great difficulty initiating conversations . He really surprised me as he always has had a circle of ‘friends’ although most of them were no good users and abusers.

This raises the issue of shared family traits and this is a thread to discuss them.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2018, 7:45 pm

About the only autism traits I share with my family that I know of are comorbids. Me & my dad are both dyslexic & both have ADD. He just wasn't diagnosed whereas I was. We both zone out sometimes & have some stimming behavior.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 10:43 pm

Nearly everyone in my direct family has autistic traits, some stronger than others, and some opposite to my own.

I suspect one of my sisters, one of my brothers, my grandpa, and my great grandpa for sure of being autistic. Most of the other family members still have traits, but not as strongly.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 4:20 am

1) Many of my immediate and extended family share an unusual sense of humour, often laughing at obscure concepts which, when juxtaposed in unusual ways can be very funny to us and would make no sense at all to outsiders..

2) In my immediate family, my adult children in particular, our one-to-one conversations switch back and forth between topics at lightning speed without either of us losing the thread of either topic, it just seems natural to us when we do it, and we enjoy those conversations much much more than the boring one topic conversations we are generally restricted to in "normal life" dialogue situations.

3) None of us can relate to nor understand office politics.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 6:29 am

I think my family's most shared trait is that we're messy. We tend to scatter junk everywhere, and hardly ever clean up. My dad is the worst, his room always looks like it's been bombed and there's almost no floor to walk on. Everyone else's room is between 50% - 70% covered in tottering piles of stuff. :) As for me, my room is full of junk and dust, although if you open any drawer or see my closet you'd be surprised that everything is well organized and neat. I have no trouble starting conversations because I'm extroverted.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 7:29 am

Hmmm... Family traits I could relate to so far:

My dad's dad side has the aptitude for technology, then my dad's mom side has the aptitude for medicine. While my mom's dad side goes with music, I'm not sure what my mom's mom side has.
I have all to some extent, but no strong interest at any.

Dad's dad side is the sociable trouble maker and dad's mom side usually likes kids. While my mom's better in networking in general, likely because there's a lot of them.
Inherited and learned from both sides, benefited me as an autistic.

My mom's side has good fine motors, my dad's side has especially better motor coordination overall. Specifically came respectively from both of my grandfathers.
I end up having the best of both worlds.

My dad's side hates chores and would do various odd jobs. While my mom's side has a degree of focus where they get the job done career wise, but neglects household chores unless he or she has no career to focus at.
I'm torned by both.

I inherited most of my mom's side's charm, and possibly both of my dad's sides temper (Opposing traits actually, my grandma is rather meek while my grandpa flies off the handle easily). :lol:
Maybe both my parents side's temper, and I'm a huge mess of myself -- and I don't have the EQ for controlling or for handling either.

My family in both sides, whether it's direct or distant, barely had any autistic traits, nor I had an upbringing or childhood experience that make me more autistic. :| But that doesn't mean it's opposing though. :twisted:

The 'weirder' side ones are likely some of my family line's in-laws -- as in not biologically related to me, and then the odds of my cousins through them.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 3:50 pm

Within a minute of experiencing a moving avatar, I get a headache.

So I am leaving this thread, though it is a very interesting one OP.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 3:54 pm

I don't know of anyone else in the family who I would venture would be diagnosed as aspie or autistic, but I do see bits and pieces of aspie traits in various individuals on both sides of the family.