Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:47 pm

Quakers, in my opinion, are people many people should get to know.

They are egalitarian folks, and very practical.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:50 pm

some parts of the country are not the best for many of us aspies.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 8:38 pm

Marknis wrote:
My head hurts and I keep hearing sad sounding music in the back of my mind. I'm trying to take a walk in the woods but I don't feel my legs getting any exercise and nature is refusing to heal me. I can't find a place of peace to escape to. Wherever I go I am surrounded by people who judge and mock me. Why couldn't I have just died 12 years ago? Why was I even born?

Marknis i emailed u months ago as u said I cd.. no reply .. did u receive it?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:27 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Marknis wrote:
My head hurts and I keep hearing sad sounding music in the back of my mind. I'm trying to take a walk in the woods but I don't feel my legs getting any exercise and nature is refusing to heal me. I can't find a place of peace to escape to. Wherever I go I am surrounded by people who judge and mock me. Why couldn't I have just died 12 years ago? Why was I even born?

Marknis i emailed u months ago as u said I cd.. no reply .. did u receive it?

I did. I am sorry I have not replied.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm

sly279 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Aspies can’t join the military. We are deemed dangerous by the government so we can’t join or do fbi etc.

No so! I was in the military. And I worked my way up the enlisted ranks quite well. The military has structure and order. It also has one other thing that might be advantageous. There is a bonding that takes place in a squad. It may not be the same thing as friendship but it is very close. You depend on the squad and the squad depends on you. Sometimes with your very life.

Did you join post 1990? I’m guessing you joined in 70s/80s and I’m guessing you weren’t diagnosed?

I joined the military in the 1970's and I was not diagnosed.

sly279 wrote:
It’s a new world they don’t take diagnosed aspies in the military. Arm pay got in trouble taking autistic kid and got sued autism is a disqualification.

When I looked at the areas that a recruit might be disqualified from joining the military, I came across the following website: Medical Conditions That May Prevent You From Joining the Military

They do not disqualify a person because they have autism or because they have asperger's syndrome. But the devil is in the details. There is a section with the following exclusion details:

Neurotic, Anxiety, Mood, Somatoform, Dissociative, or Factitious Disorders
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are a history of such disorders resulting in any or all of the below:

a. Admission to a hospital or residential facility.

b. Care by a physician or other mental health professional for more than 6 months.

c. Symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency.

Digging a little deeper:

Somatic symptom disorder (SSD formerly known as "somatization disorder" or "somatoform disorder" and also called Briquet's syndrome) is a form of mental illness that causes one or more bodily symptoms, including pain. The symptoms may or may not be traceable to a physical cause including general medical conditions, other mental illnesses, or substance abuse. But regardless, they cause excessive and disproportionate levels of distress.

Dissociative disorders are characterized by an involuntary escape from reality characterized by a disconnection between thoughts, identity, consciousness and memory.

Factitious disorder is a serious mental disorder in which someone deceives others by appearing sick, by purposely getting sick or by self-injury.

Neurotic disorders. Neurosis refers to a class of functional mental disorder involving distress but not delusions or hallucinations, where behavior is not outside socially acceptable norms. It is also known as psychoneurosis or neurotic disorder.

Mood disorders include major depression, dysthymia, bipolar disorder, mood disorder related to another health condition, and substance-induced mood disorders.

So although being a high function autistic does not necessarily exclude you from joining the military, there are some elements that might cause major problems, such as seeking treatment with a mental health professional for more than 6 months or being admitted to a mental health facility. Also "Symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency." might cause problems. But if you completed college or perhaps even high school, that would provide evidence to counter impaired school efficiency. If you held a job for any length of time, that would also provide evidence to counter impaired work efficiency.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 11:31 pm

I joined in '84 and autism in general was known about by the military and was a general exclusion to service but they were so hard up for fresh meat that they medically waivered me for several different things to get me in combat boots. I am sure the next time the balloon goes up that they will forget all about exclusions.

AQ38
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2018, 12:02 am

Quote:
I am sure the next time the balloon goes up that they will forget all about exclusions.

Without getting political, family ties to military recruiters are making it very hard for me NOT to poke my nose where it doesn't belong and say, "You're FINE!! !! !! Nothing to worry about AT ALL in that department."

Of course there are other issues with the military, but that's not what auntblabby and you were talking about.

The civilian pediatricians didn't know what autism was when HFA family member was born in 1988 and just told the mother her milk was bad and told her to buy a can of formula. Too bad her folks weren't military.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 12:52 am

Marknis wrote:
If I were to commit suicide, would anyone care or would they forget about me?

I would also care.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 2:04 am

Walk into any recruitment center and tell them you have autism they will tell you no. My medical records have the diagnosis of aspergers so they can’t take me. Id have to get a lawyer and do a large uphill battle with tons of evaluations and such to try to get them to waive it.
That guy who blew up Hia fellow troops was autistic I believe and years ago army got sued and lost after they signed up a ausristic kid. So they don’t accept people with autism anymore so unless your Undiagnosed it won’t happen.
But what do I know I only tried to join the army twice and marines twice

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 8:24 am

What Jimmy posted was excellent.

Your experience is valuable too, Sly.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 3:35 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Marknis wrote:
If I were to commit suicide, would anyone care or would they forget about me?

I would also care.

As would I.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 3:06 am

us aspies gotta stick together!! !! ! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 1:26 pm

I really wanted Alliekit to post the celebatory thread for me when I got a girlfriend but that will never happen now. :(