Trump a liar again: "Pocahontas" really is Native American

Page 1 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 7:49 am

Now let's all see if Trump antes up the $1 million that he promised to Elizabeth Warren for a charity of her choice if a DNA test established that she had Native American ancestry.

Mocked by Trump as 'Pocahontas,' DNA test shows Elizabeth Warren does in fact have Native American heritage - The test on the Massachusetts Democrat was done by Stanford University professor Carlos D. Bustamante, a prominent expert in DNA analysis

Quote:
...“the results strongly support the existence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor.”

Bustamante, a prominent expert in the field of DNA analysis, determined Warren’s pure Native American ancestor appears “in the range of six to 10 generations ago.”

That meshes with Warren’s narrative that her great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, was at least partially Native American. That would make Warren 1/32nd Native American.

But if her ancestor is 10 generations back, that could mean she’s just 1/512th Native American, something that could further excite her critics instead of placating them.

Those critics have charged that Warren advanced her career with a narrative she is a descendant of Cherokee and Delaware tribes. Trump has repeatedly mocked her as “Pocahontas,” going so far as to offer $1 million to a charity of her choice if she took a DNA test that proved her claims...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:02 am

How did her being a tiny smidgen American Indian become an issue in the first place?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:14 am

EzraS wrote:
How did her being a tiny smidgen American Indian become an issue in the first place?
The words "Mocked by Trump" might give you a clue.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:22 am

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:

So her being a tiny smidgen American Indian wasn't an issue other than or before that? How did Trump know of her remote ancestry in the first place?

I'm remotely Sioux but nobody outside the family knows that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 8:32 am

EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
So her being a tiny smidgen American Indian wasn't an issue other than or before that? How did Trump know of her remote ancestry in the first place? I'm remotely Sioux but nobody outside the family knows that.
If I had to guess, Mr. Trump might have read something about her ancestry in a security report. Or maybe she was on a committee for indigenous people, or something like that. It doesn't really matter, anyway.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:02 am

I recall there being some controversy over her using it to get some kind of preferential treatment. A school grant or job placement. Something like that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 9:55 am

EzraS wrote:
I recall there being some controversy over her using it to get some kind of preferential treatment. A school grant or job placement. Something like that.
Quote:
In April 2012, The Boston Globe sparked a campaign controversy by reporting that from 1986 to 1995 Warren had listed herself as a racial minority in the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Directory of Law Teachers. Harvard Law School had identified Warren as a "woman of color" in response to criticisms about a lack of faculty diversity. Scott Brown, her Republican opponent in the Senate race, accused Warren of fabricating Native American heritage to gain advantage in the job market. Former colleagues and supervisors at universities where she had worked stated that Warren's ancestry played no role in her hiring. Warren stated that she had listed herself as a minority to meet people of similar heritage, and was unaware that Harvard had listed her as a woman of color. Her brothers defended her, stating that they "grew up listening to our mother and grandmother and other relatives talk about our family's Cherokee and Delaware heritage". In her 2014 autobiography, Warren stated that she had gained no career advantage from her stated heritage, and described the allegations as untrue and hurtful. A 2018 comprehensive review by The Boston Globe found "clear evidence, in documents and interviews, that her claim to Native American ethnicity was never considered by the Harvard Law faculty, which voted resoundingly to hire her, or by those who hired her to four prior positions at other law schools."

Source: This Article.

So it seems that the "controversy" was actually the result of some Republican trying to stir things up against her, and not any action on her part to try to take advantage of her very real indigenous ancestry.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

In my opinion any white person who's a tiny smidgen Indain or whatever, identifiedying as or being identified as a minority or person of color is pretty silly. And her getting test to prove she might only be 1/512th Native American makes it even sillier. But I definitely think the cheesepuff in chief should donate to a charity regardless of that, because he can affird to and they need it.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:05 am

It should be noted that Warren is part Cherokee, the real Pocahontas was not.

I am about 1/8 Cherokee myself.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:20 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
It should be noted that Warren is part Cherokee, the real Pocahontas was not.

I am about 1/8 Cherokee myself.

Do you consider yourself to really be Native American?

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:26 am

Quote:
I definitely think the cheesepuff in chief should donate to a charity regardless of that, because he can affird to and they need it.

That's not how the Racist-in-Chief operates.

Trump stole from children's cancer charities

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:31 am

I have to sympathize with Trump on this one. My mother's family name is Hispanic and her grandfather was born in a Spanish speaking country in the Western hemisphere. I should point out that he was Caucasian which I think matters in this case.

I would be embarrassed to be caught trying to claim Hispanic ethnicity on this basis, in the hope of getting any sort of preferential treatment or as a way to make some organization I was a member of appear more diverse. It would just be ridiculous.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:44 am

Feigned ignorance nonwithstanding, the concept of a One Drop Rule still dominates discussions of whiteness. That about shows how much rational and scientific basis these pseudo-intellectual racists have for their ideas.

Proclaiming any non-white ancestry would make a person of Warren's generation a Race Traitor. People may have talked about it inside the family, but considered it a shameful secret.

That white centered view of Native Americans, shallow and fake, with its reverence for the myth of the wild frontier, but no concern for their rich and varied history, still makes it more desirable than African ancestry. The Indians were out of sight, and could be made the object of legends, or used as fodder for reformers and missionaries. It doesn't make them statistically better off than black people, but white people feel a little more comfortable claiming that ancestry.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:49 am

MaxE wrote:
I have to sympathize with Trump on this one. My mother's family name is Hispanic and her grandfather was born in a Spanish speaking country in the Western hemisphere. I should point out that he was Caucasian which I think matters in this case.

I would be embarrassed to be caught trying to claim Hispanic ethnicity on this basis, in the hope of getting any sort of preferential treatment or as a way to make some organization I was a member of appear more diverse. It would just be ridiculous.

Warren didn't do that. Trump keeps saying she did. That's the point. People perceive and treat her as a white woman, regardless of her family anecdote.

So many people in this thread have diverse ancestry but keep it secret! It's definitely about being scrupulous, though, and nothing else at all. We don't discuss our non-white heritage out of politeness, and no kind of bigotry whatsoever? Right....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

I can't be the only one who's heard umpteen white people say they are part Cherokee. It's always part Cherokee for some reason. It seems pretty obvious Warren must have made a big deal out of it at some point for whatever reason.