Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 1:26 pm

Saw the pdoc this afternoon. It was the first time he had seen me. He did a thorough assessment.Past history. Past medication. Symptoms . Family background. My stepdaughter was there with me. She said her piece re what she has noticed about me. He says that paranoid personality disorder doesn’t fit . He reckons that a combination of ASD and schizophrenia fits best. I had mentioned ASD and my stepdaughter chipped in to say she works fof a care agency that helps people on the spectrum and I show signs of it . He asked if I was good at reading emotions . I said I was average but my stepdaughter pointed out ways in which I wasn't He also said I’m quite dyspraxic. He’s making a referral for an ASD assessment. He noticed I had a tremor which he said was a side effect.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

No feedback/response . Guess I should have phrased things differently, but wasn't sure how to. Getting this posting thing right isn't easy .

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 4:33 pm

How did he notice that you were clumsy?

By Pdoc do you mean a primary care/general practitioner physician?

It's nice that you had someone that was able to go with you. I rarely go to the doctor but have contemplated having my wife accompany me because I don't really remember to ask questions and such things like I should. I also wouldn't want her to be in the room for something as unpleasant as a prostate exam.

I went to a new primary care physician some years back and leading up to the prostate exam he referred to my "bottom". I'm a grown man and another grown man, a physician, referring to a posterior as a "bottom" really bugged me and for some reason gave me the creeps. I never went back to him because of that alone.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 4:42 pm

That's great that you are finally getting a thorough assessment. Good that you have a person who has known you a long time for the doc to interview.

I musta missed something.

If your tremor is a "side effect" then what is it a side effect...of?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

Well done for not giving up monkey. Finally you will get to know. How long is the waiting list in your area. make sure your step-daughter goes with you as she obviously sees things you don't.

I don't know you but I think you would of been diagnosed with schizophrenia by now if that was the case

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 7:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
That's great that you are finally getting a thorough assessment. Good that you have a person who has known you a long time for the doc to interview.

I musta missed something.

If your tremor is a "side effect" then what is it a side effect...of?

Side effect of the depot antipsychotic medication.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 7:26 am

Magna wrote:
How did he notice that you were clumsy?

By Pdoc do you mean a primary care/general practitioner physician?

It's nice that you had someone that was able to go with you. I rarely go to the doctor but have contemplated having my wife accompany me because I don't really remember to ask questions and such things like I should. I also wouldn't want her to be in the room for something as unpleasant as a prostate exam.

I went to a new primary care physician some years back and leading up to the prostate exam he referred to my "bottom". I'm a grown man and another grown man, a physician, referring to a posterior as a "bottom" really bugged me and for some reason gave me the creeps. I never went back to him because of that alone.

A pdoc is a psychiatrist. The clumsiness was mentioned by my stepdaughter. She said I was the clumsiest person she had known. It was good to have my stepdaughter there to mention things I wouldn't have thought of. For example re the reading of emotions. I had always thought I was average at it from that test where you are given faces and have to choose the correct emotion, but obviously not.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 7:41 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Well done for not giving up monkey. Finally you will get to know. How long is the waiting list in your area. make sure your step-daughter goes with you as she obviously sees things you don't.

I don't know you but I think you would of been diagnosed with schizophrenia by now if that was the case

I am not sure on the waiting list length but judging from things I've read generally it could be 9 months-2 years!

Re the schizophrenia. Here's my fluctuating diagnostic history.

1975-1983 schizophrenia
1983-2005 schizoaffective mixed type/bipolar
2005- 2013 PD NOS
2013 - 2018 paranoid PD
Wednesday - Back to suggesting schizophrenia as a diagnosis alongside ASD.

Will definitely get my stepdaughter to come with me. It's true about other people noticing things you don't. There's a strong tendency to play down and ignore things as ''That's just me" as though they have no relevance .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 7:50 am

firemonkey wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I am not sure on the waiting list length but judging from things I've read generally it could be 9 months-2 years!

Re the schizophrenia. Here's my fluctuating diagnostic history.

1975-1983 schizophrenia
1983-2005 schizoaffective mixed type/bipolar
2005- 2013 PD NOS
2013 - 2018 paranoid PD
Wednesday - Back to suggesting schizophrenia as a diagnosis alongside ASD.

Will definitely get my stepdaughter to come with me. It's true about other people noticing things you don't. There's a strong tendency to play down and ignore things as ''That's just me" as though they have no relevance .

Unfortunately there is a big waiting list in the UK depending on your area ( due to the demand ).

Your diagnostic history reads like they don't know what's wrong with you tbh , from the brief conversations we've had I can see why paranoid PD is currently your diagnosis but your symptoms can also be explained from years of anxiety , not knowing whats going etc. Paranoia is fairly common on the spectrum and if it gets ingrained can mutate into a thing of it's own.

With my assessment I took my GF and she was a great help because when I said 'I don't do that' , she would look at me in disbelief and say 'you bloody do' :lol:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:42 am

He said people with paranoid PD are cold and I am not . Yes I'm prone to paranoia but it's more a fearful, avoidant paranoia rather than the more aggressive paranoia redolent of paranoid PD.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 9:40 am

firemonkey wrote:
He said people with paranoid PD are cold and I am not . Yes I'm prone to paranoia but it's more a fearful, avoidant paranoia rather than the more aggressive paranoia redolent of paranoid PD.

I an no diagnostician , these are just my observations , Good luck in finding out what makes you tick :)

boating_taxonomist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2018, 10:50 am

firemonkey wrote:

Calne is Wiltshire, right? Waiting times aren't too terrible round this part of the country.

I am currently on a waiting list for Bristol Autism Service (expecting appointment sometime in the not too distant future, I know things are moving anyhow). Having found a couple of people who got referred there, plus looking at various statistics that have been published, they seem consistent at about 6 months from being added to the waiting list. The wiltshire service is run under the same mental health partnership so I think their waiting times should be at least comparable, if not less (a 2016 report suggested Wiltshire's waiting times were weeks in comparison to 6 months for Avon and Bristol area).

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 11:12 am

boating_taxonomist wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Calne is Wiltshire, right? Waiting times aren't too terrible round this part of the country.

I am currently on a waiting list for Bristol Autism Service (expecting appointment sometime in the not too distant future, I know things are moving anyhow). Having found a couple of people who got referred there, plus looking at various statistics that have been published, they seem consistent at about 6 months from being added to the waiting list. The wiltshire service is run under the same mental health partnership so I think their waiting times should be at least comparable, if not less (a 2016 report suggested Wiltshire's waiting times were weeks in comparison to 6 months for Avon and Bristol area).

Yes-Wiltshire near Chippenham.