Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:09 pm

Hi all,

New here. I'm very glad that this forum exists. I'm glad to see an independent web forum -- much better than, say, a Facebook group. (Too many autism-related groups seem to rely too much on Facebook groups, alas.)

I have a longterm boyfriend who was diagnosed with what was then called Asperger's Syndrome back in 2001. Both of us feel that I'm at least as autistic as he is in some ways. I'm finally getting around to seeking a diagnosis.

We do programming work from home. Alas, this doesn't earn us anywhere near as much money as can be made by a programmer who works in a corporate office. But, for various reasons, we both feel that we are not capable of working in the latter setting.

I have a strong interest in the history and development of various subcultures such as the LGBT community. Based on my knowledge of this history, I have high hopes for the neurodiversity movement.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 8:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:30 pm

Welcome to the forums XD I am also from NY and still wish was there considering how much things suck where I'm at :D

supercreativname
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2018, 4:26 am

Hello :D

what Kind of hopes do you hav for the neurodiversity movement? :)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 4:12 am

supercreativname wrote:
Hello :D

what Kind of hopes do you have for the neurodiversity movement? :)

1) That neurodiverse people will be better understood and accepted.

2) That more of us will be able to work for a living. (This will likely require some new ways of structuring businesses. More on that some other time, in a more appropriate sub-forum.)

3) That social expectations generally will change to make various things less awkward for everyone, as well as more feasible for autistics. (For example, I think current dating rituals need a radical overhaul. More on that some other time.)

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2018, 3:18 pm

Hello Mona from NYC. :)

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:51 am

Yesterday I finally had my preliminary intake appointment for a psychological evaluation.

So that I can afford this, I'm seeing an "extern" who is working under a degreed psychologist specializing in ASD, rather than seeing the degreed psychologist herself.

However, this means the whole process is taking longer than it otherwise might. I was on a waiting list since May. It will now be at least another two weeks before I hear back from them to schedule the next appointment.

I've been away from this forum for the past month or two due to being extremely busy with work, but thought I'd pop in here to share what's been going on with my attempt to seek a diagnosis.

P.S.: I realize I'm probably very lucky I live in a major city like NYC. My waits would probably be even longer, if indeed it were possible to find any adult diagnostic services at all, if I lived elsewhere.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:40 am

I am happy that your assesment is underway.

The degreed psychologist would not be Lynda Geller by any chance?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 12:35 pm

The degreed psychologist is Dr. Kate Cody, who now runs Spectrum Services -- which, if I'm not mistaken, was formerly run by Lynda Geller (if I'm not confusing the latter with someone else). Were you thinking of Spectrum Services?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:00 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
The degreed psychologist is Dr. Kate Cody, who now runs Spectrum Services -- which, if I'm not mistaken, was formerly run by Lynda Geller (if I'm not confusing the latter with someone else). Were you thinking of Spectrum Services?

Yes, Lynda Geller of Spectrum Services, she diagnosed me. I have some physical impairments that make it difficult for me to travel into Manhatten but I used to attend the adult support group that meets at Spectrum Services and Dr. Cody would sometimes facilitate.

Dr. Geller founded Spectrum Services and was running it back when I was involved. I did not know she is not running it now. Kasey Rothkopf was an extern under Geller that often helped facilitate the meetings.

I do see Wrong Planet has a number of new and recent members from the New York Metropolitan area. I would recommend they seek the assistence of Spectrum Services, they do truly “get it”. The The Aspergers & High Functioning Association runs a number of Support groups. The Adult group and Women’s groups meet at Spectrum Services. They allow you to attend if you are undiagnosed. They will point you in the right direction if you are seeking a diagnosis.

As Mona said if you live in the New York Metro region you are fortunate and you should try and take advantage of the resources that are not available to many Wrong Planet members.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2019, 4:40 pm

Welcome Mona to WP.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 9:29 pm

Greetings from right off the Effing Gee (F/G) in Brooklyn! Welcome to WP!

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 1:09 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet Mona

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 7:52 pm

If I have to take the G Train, it means I'll be at least an hour late to work!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 12:57 am

Finished testing / diagnostic interviews / etc. last week. "Feedback" appointment is coming up for me on May 14. (The externs take 4+ weeks to look through everything, apparently.)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 5:14 am

...Hi!! !! !! !! !! ! :D Coming from the NYC metroplex (Westchester) and being older, too...I feel connected :) :mrgreen:.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!