Trump: GOPer who body slammed reporter ‘my kind of guy'

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 10:13 pm

Trump: Congressman who body slammed reporter is ‘my kind of guy’

Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Trump at a rally in Montana Thursday praised the state’s congressman for body slamming a reporter — and said the assault helped him win a seat in the US House.

Speaking to a Missoula event, Trump showered GOP Rep. Greg Gianforte with praise and recalled the candidate assaulting Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs last year for trying to ask a question.

“Any guy that can do a body slam, he’s my kind of guy,” Trump said to applause. “I shouldn’t say that — (but) there’s nothing to be embarrassed about.”...

Gianforte — who represents the state’s single at-large district — pleaded guilty in court last year to a charge of misdemeanor assault and is seeking reelection in November.

For his part, Gianforte took the stage to cheers. “Mr. President, thank you for giving us hope again,” he said...

Donald Trump (left) and Greg Gianforte Getty Images

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2018, 10:22 pm

Scumbag. I'd love to see someone break his goddamn face.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 11:00 pm

NoClearMind53 wrote:
Scumbag. I'd love to see someone break his goddamn face.

Trump's or Gianfortte's? Because I can go with either or both.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 11:41 pm

If the Dems win the House, Gianforte could be an early test of their resolve against Trump.

Each house (House of Reps & Senate) can refuse to seat someone. It requires a simple majority vote. This power has only been used a few times in history, to exclude a communist, for example.

If Gianforte wins the Montana election, and if the Dems win the House, they should refuse to seat him, thereby setting an example against fascist and Trump violence. Indeed, if they allow that thug into Congress, that would be demonstrative of a lack of will to deal with Trump and his violence.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 10:01 am

Trump’s History of Encouraging Violence

UN human rights chief: Trump's attacks on press 'close to incitement of violence'

Incitement to political violence and naked hostility towards a free press (and an independent judiciary) are hallmarks of a Fascist state, not a functioning democracy.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 1:47 pm

The GOP has become a festering s**thole of bad ideas. They need to be utterly demolished.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:17 pm

AspE wrote:
The GOP has become a festering s**thole of bad ideas. They need to be utterly demolished.

Once demolished, does a more moderate, but still right-of-center party take its place, or are we talking about virtual one-party left-wing rule for the foreseeable future?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:35 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:

Once demolished, does a more moderate, but still right-of-center party take its place, or are we talking about virtual one-party left-wing rule for the foreseeable future?

Based on demographics probably the latter.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:56 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:

I would call it majority rule. And I don't care what if anything replaces them.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 5:46 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
AspE wrote:

I think what would happen is that the Democrat party woukd split in two from the lack of a common enemy; one part been from the left of the party, the other from the right.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:36 pm

I don’t want to see either party disappear, as much as I don’t like the two-party system.

But, that said, the GOP needs to have more Susan Collins/Lisa Murkowski-types, and fewer Ted Cruz-types to remain competitive for now.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 6:41 pm

The timing of this repugnant Trump brag is calculated, of course, for two reasons:

1) It's a dogwhistle to some of the authoritarian proletariat, those who support Trump (and will whatever happens, if Trump murdered people in broad daylight, this subgroup will still vote for him..)

2) It's a "hey, look over here instead folks!! !" Trump has made a fool of himself in front of the major USA allies and he knows they know much more about his own chicanery in Saudi Arabia than is out in the open.

Both old tactics straight from the Trump show playbook, and at this stage Trump knows those he termed the "little people" buy into the distractions rather than looking at the big big picture, which DT definitely doesn't want the smarter ones to ponder at length..

There's so many wider issues affecting the future and immediate peace of the Western and Middle Eastern World and the rapidly escalating prospects of conflicts the like of which the world hasn't seen for 70 years. If such a war breaks out again it will be far worse. The post war prosperity is being dismantled by tyrants around the world, and they (not surprisingly) say they love and admire one another.. they don't, of course, though they know how to dog whistle too..

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2018, 9:33 am

GOP quiet on Trump praising Rep Greg Gianforte for assaulting reporter, amid Khashoggi crisis and criticism of alleged Democratic 'mob' tactics

Quote:
Trump doubled down on his praise for Gianforte at a memo signing event Friday when reporters asked about his remarks during the rally.

"Greg is a tremendous person and he's a tough cookie, and I'll stay with that. You're talking about a different world," Trump said after signing a bill meant to promote water supply and delivery in western states.

Trump's rhetoric on Gianforte's attack also appeared to break sharply from his administration's recent tone on press freedom in the wake of journalist Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance and alleged murder.

GOP lawmakers, including every Republican senator, did not provide answers to CNBC's inquiries about the president's remarks. The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

"All Americans should recoil from the president's praise for a violent assault on a reporter doing his Constitutionally protected job," White House Correspondents Association President Olivier Knox said in a statement.

"This amounts to the celebration of a crime by someone sworn to uphold our laws and an attack on the First Amendment by someone who has solemnly pledged to defend it. We should never shrug at the president cheerleading for a violent act targeting a free and independent news media," Knox said...

Trump's son, Eric Trump, balked at the Correspondents' Association's condemnation. "Oh, stop," Trump's son said on Fox News Channel. "He can have fun." ...

Trump's remarks at the Montana rally are not the first time he's appeared to condone violence in front of crowds of his supporters.

"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, OK? Just knock the hell," Trump said in February 2016. "I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise, I promise."