Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 8:30 pm

Hey
just wondering, apart from sounding like a type of breakfast sandwich
I was wondering if anybody agreed with me that LGBT should instead be LGBTH
to include Heterosexuals as well. Otherwise isn't the whole LGBT thing a term that discriminates.
Why make a big distinction, why not just be all together as one, so there isn't a divide?

I feel sometimes its a bit like people who fight for race equality but then make a big deal about
belonging to a black and proud club that only allows people with black skin belong to, or a Mexican only club, or a white supremacy club.

Sorry if anyone finds offense here.
I personally see the world as made up people not groups of nationals. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2018, 9:40 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Hey
just wondering, apart from sounding like a type of breakfast sandwich
I was wondering if anybody agreed with me that LGBT should instead be LGBTH
to include Heterosexuals as well. Otherwise isn't the whole LGBT thing a term that discriminates.
Why make a big distinction, why not just be all together as one, so there isn't a divide?

I feel sometimes its a bit like people who fight for race equality but then make a big deal about
belonging to a black and proud club that only allows people with black skin belong to, or a Mexican only club, or a white supremacy club.

Sorry if anyone finds offense here.
I personally see the world as made up people not groups of nationals. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

Don't you think the idea of having the label is to collectively refer to a specific class of people, i. e. sexual minorities? LGBTH would just mean something like sexuality and not point out a specific class of sexuality. And besides, look at all the literature that would have to be updated. But I do like the cooperative spirit of your idea.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:08 am

Although the acronym lacks a H, when written out in full length it contains two A's.

One stands for Asexual, whereas the other is for Ally. The ally term is used to describe individuals who are straight and cisgender who support the LGBT+ community, so technically heterosexual individuals are included but only those who are supportive. However, the acronym is often shortened to LGBT to make it easier to use in casual conversation.

This is the flag used to represent straight allies, the black and white symbolises heterosexuality (two opposites) whereas the rainbow part is used to represent the LGBT community. The black and white stripes are around it because it symbolises heterosexuals surrounding the community in solidarity and support. :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 2:34 pm

What I've seen defined in various places:

A - Asexual
B - Bisexual
C - Curious
G - Gay
H - HIV-Infected
I - Intersexual / Inter-Gender
L - Lesbian
P - Pansexual / Polyamorous
Q - Queer / Questioning
T - Trans-Sexual / Trans-Gender
U - Unsure

Uiteindelijk
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm

Yes, all being together in one group is great. However, people get into different groups because they have similar issues which are best supported by others in the group. I dare say that that's why we're on this forum, which was designed for a specific type of person. It's not meant to discriminate, just to give a sense of community for people with certain common issues.