Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 1:43 am

Is there ab exercises that I can do at home?

RiverSeeker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Oct 2018, 4:35 am

Planks and pushups are surprisingly good ab exercises. I can't stand to do crunches because they're too chaotic and I never feel like I'm making progress, but doing pushups makes me feel strong and leaves my abs sore afterward.

amh
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2018, 11:19 am

More or less in order from easiest to hardest:
Planks
- Can be done resting on hands or forearms/elbows, knees or toes, depending on comfort and level of difficulty.
- To work on obliques, shoulders, and balance, combine with alternating lifting an arm parallel to the ground (do the opposing leg at the same time for even more challenge)

Crunches
- Can be done with feet on the ground, knees at right angles with lower legs parallel to the ground, or legs straight up in the air, depending on level of difficulty desired.
- Do straight and oblique (left elbow to right knee, then right elbow to left knee)

Sit-ups
- Can increase difficulty and work shoulders by holding a weight (medicine ball, dumbbell, small child, etc.) out in front of you (while lying down), and transitioning it to directly overhead as you sit up.
- May not be good for your lower back if you currently have a weak core.

If you have a medicine ball, or other non-breakable weight (don't use the small child for this one):
Sit on the floor, with your torso leaned back to about 45 degrees, back straight; legs can either be bent with feet on the floor, or held out straight (balancing on your butt). Start with the weight to one side, and lift it over your lap all the way to the ground on the other side. Can be made harder and work shoulders by going over your head instead of in front of you.

Spider walks:
Start in a plank position (must be on hands and toes for this one). Walk yourself to the side (move right hand and left leg at the same time, and vice versa). When you run out of space, go back the other way.

If you have a HEAVY piece of furniture, or something else fixed to the ground that you can grab:
Lie on your back with the object just at the top of your head. Grab it, and use it to keep your upper back on the ground. Keeping your legs straight, slowly lift them perpendicular to the floor, then slowly lower them back down. To make it harder, when your legs are vertical, use your abs to lift your legs and pelvis off the ground before you lower your legs.

Yes, I spend way too much time at the gym... :roll:

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2018, 3:40 pm

Here's an ab workout for you:

1. Hollow body rock for 1 minute
2. 35 V-ups
3. 35 knee-tuckins
3.50 leg lifts (lay on your back and lift your legs up and down)
4. Bycicle crunches as long as you can
5. Do the V-up exercise, but straddle instead (around 10)
6. planks
7. bar leg lifts (hang from a bar and lift legs until your toe touches the bar).

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Nov 2018, 4:54 am

There was a guest on the MTV show Ridiculousness who said her dad got good abs by getting people to punch him in the stomach. The guest said she didn't want to get punched so she had rocks thrown at her instead. I def would NOT do it but maybe it'll work for the people who do try it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 5:54 am

nick007 wrote:
There was a guest on the MTV show Ridiculousness who said her dad got good abs by getting people to punch him in the stomach. The guest said she didn't want to get punched so she had rocks thrown at her instead. I def would NOT do it but maybe it'll work for the people who do try it.

It works because hitting that area forces your abs to activate, but there are less painful ways of achieving that.

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2018, 7:10 am

With your six pack abs, get fake tan and get some tattoos and walk around with your shirt off.
This is a great way to shut any guy down in an argument: "I have sex pack abs bro! Do you even lift, bro?
"https://www.jumpropedudes.com/workouts/get-v-cut-abs

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 10:54 pm

I can’t do alot of these exercises, I have a broken ankle. Can I do leg lifts sitting down?