Has Grand Theft Auto made you more independent?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2018, 8:13 pm

...Man, I'm so scared of driving. You just gave me an idea. :D

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 8:43 am

No, i've always been what you describe as "independent". No game has changed my interest in going out and exploring the city, it's actually the contrary - Google Earth has made me less interested since i can explore the world from my couch.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 12:38 am

Ichinin wrote:
No, i've always been what you describe as "independent". No game has changed my interest in going out and exploring the city, it's actually the contrary - Google Earth has made me less interested since i can explore the world from my couch.

Hah, Google Earth is pretty good, yeah? Well, I like it anyway (VR version). I personally love exploring for real when I can, but Google Earth allows me to either check out places that would be hard to reach on my own, or go to places even around my area when the weather is just too horrible to do so for real (like right now).

It's great fun. And one of the first things I have people try, when they try out VR for the first time.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2019, 11:03 am

Nekomonster wrote:
...Man, I'm so scared of driving. You just gave me an idea. :D

This reminds me of this scene in Family Guy! :lol: :lol:

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 11:58 am

Misery wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
While what you've said may be true, there are actually people out there who don't know the difference between what's in media and in real life, and tend to be very gullible about seeing what they've watched, played, etc.

So, rather than 'busted', this myth may actually be 'plausible'.

Still going with "busted". And believe me, I'm not the only one. LOTS of studies done on this. And a gigantic amount of gamers out there with personal experience playing such games. Playing ALOT of such games.

Going along with what Modernmax said, those that might have trouble understanding the difference between "real" and "virtual" tend to have very serious mental illnesses. AKA, the gaming is NOT the source. And someone like that is going to be affected by waaaaayyyyyyy more than just gaming. And for someone THAT easily influenced... something like that wont even be the biggest source. They're more likely to be affected by REAL events. There's a reason why the concept of a "copycat killer" exists.

Instead of pointing out utterly ridiculous causes, people need to actually examine each individual situation properly, and determine proper treatment. One of the reasons why people throw ludicrous ideas at gaming is simple: They're bloody lazy. It's easier to use that assumption than it is to actually do the freaking work.

SOmething interesting about Grand Theft Auto: It's one of the single biggest selling game series of all time, period. And this is at a time when the gaming industry has become bigger than the movie industry. Endless legions of players have played it. Notice that we dont have veritable armies of killers roaming the streets.

As 5 zillion gamers will tell you... it simply doesnt have that effect. Again, people are quick to blame anything that ISNT themselves, and gaming is a convenient target.

Also, think back to an earlier time. There was a time period when parents often blamed MUSIC for their kids actions. Freaking music! Now you tell me: Would you ever ACTUALLY believe that? Chances are no, and neither would anyone else. And I'll tell you why that is: Even most older adults grew up during a period where music was everywhere. In other words, it's something they not only understand, but have always understood. More than THEIR parents, who didnt have that stuff as kids.

Probably the biggest reason why gaming is a target is because the older crowd literally doesnt understand it. Notice, in fact, that older adults are almost purely the source of these "theories". It's unfortunately natural for people to either fear, or be suspicious of things they dont understand.

Go forward a few decades from now. Basically everyone will have grown up in a world where gaming was a thing... and instead, they'll move to some NEW thing to throw their blame at. It's a vicious cycle, and one that's not likely to ever stop.

Honestly, the best way to deal with something like this is to do the research. And I dont mean just looking up stats and studies. If you were to actually meet enough people in the gaming community, and take the time to get to know them well enough... this idea would outright vanish. Well, theoretically. Some people are too freaking stubborn to allow ideas to be changed in their minds.

Of course part of the problem is that people DONT take the time to try to understand. Particularly parents.
Hell, it's not just GTA. I myself grew up when mature content in games started happening. I still remember the Mortal Kombat fiasco. It was another load of gibberish, really. Even as a kid though, I played that game, and it's sequels. But not against my parents' wishes. They actually took the time to not only look into the game itself, but to think of me and my personality. They simply decided I was mature enough to handle it, and they were right. That is PROPER parenting. But ALOT of parents are too bloody lazy to do that. It's just so much easier to blame something other than their bad parenting. Not to mention that alot of them are gullible as heck. Note that these sorts of parents are the same sort that will tend to bury their faces in their stupid phones rather than pay attention to their blasted children. And then it's NEVER their fault when something goes wrong, yeah? Ridiculous.

But that's a whole other rant I wont go into right now.

Right, tell that to people who watch Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and Bad Girls Club. :roll:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 5:26 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
Right, tell that to people who watch Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and Bad Girls Club. :roll:

Er…. no.

#1, this topic is bloody old now. I dunno about you, but I've lost track of whatever was going on, aside from a couple of points I was making.

But, #2, I can tell you this: None of those things have anything to do with this topic.

You're thinking "but they make people act like the people on TV", right? Yeah, not the same thing.

Why? Because seeing REAL people, on TV, act as role models for kids (who have an instinct to mimic adults) is very, very different than seeing a man made out of pixels and polygons do impossible stuff in a videogame (and even most "realistic" games are utterly stuffed filled with impossible things).

However, even if that weren't true... my point STILL stands. Nobody turns completely into a serial killer because they saw Jason Voorhees murder a bunch of counselors, even despite that it's a movie with real actors. Don't even try to dispute that one.

And before you say "but they act like the people on TV in those shows", those idiots in those shows you're talking about aren't exactly going around slaughtering anyone, now are they? But things like stupid fashion trends and whatnot, people will pick up from ANYWHERE. Those are harmless though. Bloody stupid, maybe, but still harmless.

But also, my SECOND point still stands here: The parents should be in control of this too. They often aren't. Even if a TV program is utter crap, it's moderately pathetic for parents to blame things on it simply because they were too damn lazy to take the reigns from the start.

Also did I mention the part where this topic is really old? There's probably more I could say here, but frankly I've mostly moved onto other topics, so there's no way in hell I'm going to go back through earlier parts of this to see everything that was said. Hell, I must be really freaking bored to even have written this reply....

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 9:21 pm

GTA games taught me how to steal a vehicle!