Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

30 Oct 2018, 7:27 pm

Interesting yet scary. Also, I worry even more about the math when the parents can't retire and the kids are enslaved to college loans that they won't be able to pay off until they're their parent's age. Little spending, not enough economic activity to rake in the sales tax needed, not good...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 1:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW4dzWE1SUs

Working With the Military For A Quarter of a Century; i met a lot of Retired Folks with arguably
the Best Nest of Retirement Offered for a "Working Person". There were many Folks Retired
before the Age of 40; as it is Possible to Retire with 20 years of Service at Age 37 that when
I first Started Working there was Automatically 50 Percent of Final Pay. And Most of these
Folks were Well into their Second Job; and often in 'Sweet Contract' Jobs where it was as bit
More Like Vacation for some Folks than Actual First Job Work as 'the Buddy System' did apply;
And an Honor Among 'Brothers' as such watching for each other's Best 'Welfare' even if that did not
apply to all the Work that was done efficiently as such; Yes, there is another Attitude that comes with
Life once Maslow's Pyramid of Needs in Basic Pay for Subsistence and Shelter are met; a Real Freeing Attitude
from 'The Man' per say and do; no longer a Slave; where no longer Working no longer means any potential of being
Homeless
and the
such as that.
Meanwhile; Most of my
Federal Career; I was Dealing
with so-called 'Most Efficient Organization'
Studies and Automated Systems that continued
to Pare Down Job Opportunities; as i Truly came to
Retire by the Bare Skin of My Teeth a Bit Early at 25
Years with 19 Medical Disorders; and Earlier than usual
retirement too; although a Person with 25 years can Retire
Early, if involuntarily Separated that for me would have indeed
Been my 25th Year of Receiving Close to the Last 2 Years in a Sick
Pay Active Status waiting for the Disability to be Approved for Early
Retirement then. It all worked out and truly even though I did not want
to live with the Worst Pain Known to Humankind as Type-Two Trigeminal
Neuralgia from Wake to Sleep for 66 Months; i made it through to the other
Side of Hell in Truly Flying Colors now compared to that 'other place' before.
Yeah; My Wife took Care of a Shut-in Like a Nursing Home Patient in my Bedroom.
And true; the thought of Being Assessed as a Dance Legend by the Metro Area Trump
Crowd Starting in 2014 about a Year or so into that Endeavor after Recovering enough
from the Disorders to once again enjoy Life Pain Free with Emotions Flooding through again;
Was no 'Wear'
No WHere in any
Dream i even Imagined
as the Hunch Back of Notre Dame;
And Worse for at least he got out and about;
Yes, Considering Dentist Drill Like Pain on the
Right Side of my Face; in Particular Right Eye and
Ear without Novocaine or Any Drug that would
Touch that Pain; Phantom of the Opera was a
A Fair Comparison without any effective use
of my eyes and ears without almost Intolerable
Pain that somehow i got used to enough to visit
'This Website' to 'mind my time' in Hell then when i wasn't
sure if i could make it one more second in Life, the Entire 66 Months
then from January of 2008 through July of 2013; sure, not to mention
the other 18 Medical Disorders some of which; Particularly the Loss of
My Emotions in Numb with that Pain verily was Deeper Torture Shallower than the Pain.

Anyway; for Folks who Pooh Pooh Stuff Like Health Insurance and Social Security Disability
Benefits; the View Changes much for anyone who enters the Doors of Hell on Earth as there
are so many Rare Disorders one may have never Heard of that can Pop up without any Advance
Warning at all.

Fortunately; We Still Live in a First World Country that takes care of those who Fall to Disability; including
many Disabilities that are Pain and Mental in Origin that cannot be seen from the outside of what some folks
See as the Shell of an Able Bodied Person who just needs to Pull up the Boot Straps on their Shoes and Get to Work.

I dealt with those folks; Particularly until i got a diagnosis for the Pain two Years into it; as sure, i had experienced
the Pain of a Migraine; which was Truly Heaven in Comparison to that Pain Disorder then that Medical Associated
Literature does assess as the Worst Pain Known to Humankind rating worse than the actual Torture of Crucifixion;
Thing is; no Short Term 3 hour to 3 Day Tour for me in Hell; a Full 66 Months From Wake to Sleep with no real
relief.

In other Words, I have a lot of perspective on life in Dark through Light that most folks cannot even imagine.
It makes me Giggle a little Bit inside; when Folks think they can Hurt me somehow with Slights of Words.
In Other Words, I keep Dancing and the Most Beautiful Women in my Metro Area keep Smiling with
me; along with 'An Egyptian Like Goddess Isis' who Just so Happens to Reflect the Beauty of
my Wife; still not aging appreciably since i met her at age 18; Still now At 48, Thirty
Years later; with yes, photos to prove this does still Happen now and then. But;
Yes, i have Much Empathy, Sympathy, Compassion; and Indeed much Cognitive
Empathy for Understanding the Plight of other Folks as i have walked in many many of
those Shoes in my life; as 9 Years into my Work Career as a Non-Appropriated Fund
Government Employee, before my Service was transferred Over to Federal Appropriated
Civil Service Funds; After 3 College Degrees, i still was making only 7 Dollar an Hour
then and up until the Point of Working there 6 Years at age 30; I was only then Making
5 Dollars an Hour; always living Pay Check to Pay Check as when i got Transferred to
Just another Fund From Government Pay In Appropriated Pay, my Pay almost Doubled;
Presto; and finally we ate enough Pork and Beans and 10 Cents A Lb Chicken Quarters
to Manually Separate; to Save Enough Money for a Down Payment on the Home We Still
Live in and own now with No More Mortgage and Never Rent to Pay again like we did before
We Owned our Home; i Kept Every New Car Almost 15 Years after that Point too. The Federal
Civil Service Retirement System comes in Three Tiers in a Thrift Savings Plan Matched in Percentage
of Funds one Puts in, by the Government; and a Pension; and an early Social Security Supplement on top of that
if one makes it all the Way to Normal Retirement Age that is now 56 For Folks My Age as i've Passed that Age now
by 2 Years. And at age 60; as long as one is Disabled for the Job they used to Work in they can work in an entirely
Different Job with no Limitations on the Pay they make in that Job. And even under Age 60, they can earn up to 80
Percent Pay of the Job they Used to Work in; As it goes without saying that i won't ever be able to Administrate; And
Manage; and Supervise 30 or so Employees for a Division of a Department of the Government again; even with
Just the issue of Autism Spectrum Disorder alone; And to top that off; Bi-Polar Disorder isn't considered a
'Curable' Disorder either; but With enough Tight Rope Dancing one can and will come to Regulate
Emotions and Integrate Senses to Have a Heavenly Enough Life as is with enough Work at it for no
Pay to survive and thrive too; And to top that off, when i did start Making Double the Money it took
me Until I was 39 Years-old to even get 1000 Dollars in a Savings Account but the Thrift
Savings Plan really took off and Eventually Treasury Bond Savings as i never did anything
But Safe Account Savings; while meanwhile folks Lost their Butts when the Stock Market
Did its Crashing About the Dates I fell ill. Anyway; it's Just about a Miracle that I was able
to finish 33 years all together in the Work Place in an Active Status including almost 2 Years
at the End with all the Annual and Sick Leave i accumulated as i worked almost all Holidays
for Double Pay and almost never took a Sick Day off. I liked to work; even when it almost killed
me with the Chronic Stress the Last 11 Years of it, culminating in the last 2 of that in Acute Chronic
Stress in Fight or Flight Fashion almost continuously like a Cat in a Storm in a Cage Dealing with constant
Lightening Strikes; Work and School was all i Knew as Life by then; other than a little Snowboard Video Game
before bed; and the Wash and Rinse and Dry Cycle of Getting Stuff Bought In Groceries as such for Weekend Errands;
the Daily Grind and Rat Treadmill was all i knew then as Work was Reality for most all that was on my Mind Day and
Night during most all Waking Hours then; I was an F in Slave too; and i didn't even realize it; and before i 'knew' it
better put, i didn't feel and sense it anymore; i went dead inside and Happy was a Word that no longer Meant anything
to me then. And Ironically enough, the First 6 Years of Work Living So Poor Close to Minimum Wage without any
Administrative, Management, Or Supervisory Duties Over others was truly the Fun Part of the Job that i enjoyed
so much; I didn't think about how much money i Made then; Albeit for Most of those Years, I was still
Living at my Mother's Home; nope, no Basement but a Large Garage that was Built into several Rooms.
But it's true as My Father Exclaimed as i guess he thought i might Ask Him to Help when i went down
then; Yes, He asked how in the World i Saved 6 Times more than he Did at age 47, With Him at Age 75
With 100 Percent Retirement after 46 Years Service in Law Enforcement; It was simple; I didn't get Married
Four Times and twice to the Same Woman; My Child Didn't live to Support that Child. I did keep those Cars
15 Years; and i did pay that House off early too and that Last Car too. And During those Hungry Years as i
always felt a 'Rainy Day Coming' for the Last 11 years of work; my Wife was on a 75 Dollar Budget a Week
for i was in charge of just about Everything; before i was in charge of Nothing about my Life at the Mercy
of Pain and Numb; and an Every Second Choice for at least the First Two Years not to end my Next Second
of Hell for true there are some things that Happen in Life that Make Death Seem like Heaven now as hey,
Nothingness in Pain is what you already Do in Numb; in a Torture where every second is Forever in Real Hell
Now.

The Difference in my Life, in Recovering enough to enjoy Life; is, i am no longer a Slave to anyone
or anything; and there is a Discernible Difference not unlike what was Present on the Relaxed
Faces of those Military Dudes who Retired at age 39. The Lower Levels of Maslow's Pyramid
Were No Longer A Deck of Cards Built Flimsy that i could Fall through in what truly came
to feel like do or die; keep the Job 'or else'; For it's true for someone then on an Autism
Spectrum who will never truly fit in with the 'Higher Ups' at Work; Federal Service Means
Protections for those who truly get the Job Done; and aren't Kicked off the Team now just
Because they are not part of some 'Social Inner Circle' as such. Not likely things would have
turned out for anything much good for me; if i worked in a Fire at Will Job, if the Boss doesn't
Like the Fact that you Always Tell the Truth; and won't lie to Keep the Bosses Happy and Playing
By Rules that are often made as they go by those in Power and Status.

Somewhere around 90 Percent of the General Public now or then; will Never Save enough on their
Own without some Kind of Job Related Pension to ever Retire at all. Social Security and Medicare is
the Only Benefit Keeping Many Folks Alive in Basic Subsistence and Shelter with Loved ones too, now.

Bottom Line is, if Social Security ever goes away; sure, there might be Land here that folks live on;
But it will be no different than any other 3rd World Country then; with Starving Folks in the Street
And Murderous Rampages in 'their' Neighborhoods too. Gated Communities will only Keep some
of the Starving Desperate Folks out. If Folks think it is bad now; Just Wait, if Social Security
Ever Goes away for the Masses. This is no longer our Great Grand Parents Village where
Extended Families took Care of each other into Old Age. This is becoming more like
Japan, ever increasingly so; where Elderly People are totally Disconnected from anyone
who truly gives a Crap about them in Flesh and Blood life; as Cleaning Crews come in to
Scrape the Remains of them off the Floor in the Apartment Away from Humanity as their
Demise comes lonely and out of touch with all that counts in life; other Social Animals to Love.

For those who don't understand the importance of Community and Social Welfare Appropriated
by the Government along with the Bonds and Binds In Lifelong Relationships like Family that are
Made in Churches; regardless of what the Fine Print says in their Sacred Text now; perhaps, they
Don't Understand where they are Eventually Headed like Japan in the United States of the Future still to come.
But it's True; we Humans who live under Duress in Much Stress only live hand to mouth in Maslow's Bottom three
Floors of Existence or Close to Basement and Below Level with Opiate Addictions and the such as that for it's true
everyone
Needs
A Place
where they truly
Feel like they belong
as they work together to
Make a Subsistence of Life they
Can Reach Out and Touch and Call a Love for Life.

Smiles my Friend; The October of 2018 Nightmare Surprises
have come to an end as 'they' came for the African Americans in
a Church in Kentucky; as 'they' came for the Free Press and Politicians
on 'the other side'; as they Came for the Jews in a Temple too; after they started
out in another Country who already does what we are more often starting to do now
on our Journey that may end up as a Third World Country Sooner than Later of what most
Folks See; As True, the Month Ended with Two Beautiful Saudi Women Gagged and Drowned and
Likely Murdered as a Potential Hate Crime against 'THEM' too by someone or some ones who think
they are Not "US"; Sad Truth is; the Truth is; it is mostly 'cause they don't feel like they Belong in the 'US'
that is 'Them'.

SMiles, My FriEnd; Halloween is Over and all that Matters Now Is; Is THere Room for Humanity in a "Hotel
California" on 'All Saints Day' Now; 11.01.18. Perhaps, Three 1's and One 8 Standing Tall Infinity is an Omen
for Rooms
to Open
in a "Hotel
California", now.
True; there are Two
Ways to See and Do that too
as 11.01.2018 too; for what 'That' is Worth
as Love
or the
Other
October Place still.
Oh yeah; there were the
Hurricanes all around the
Globe too; With a little Help,
Apparently, from Us Humans too.
True; NoW It's better to Help Humans
Than Hurricanes to get even Stronger.
It's Just a Matter of Love Coming Back to
Life For All; And Doing LoVENoW FoR ReaL as the 'Clean-Up
Crews From October' are still Waiting for the Jobs to Come Next.
Yep.. BeeN A Hell Of An October.. Hi November.. Next...!Hopefully.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2018, 2:03 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Interesting yet scary. Also, I worry even more about the math when the parents can't retire and the kids are enslaved to college loans

Aug 2018 Student loan debt

2 million are hurting bad with $100,000+ of debt.

https://salduttilaw.com/student-loan-de ... on-crisis/

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

02 Nov 2018, 2:25 pm

I just threw that in Excel, gave each range a soft-knee of like (x1 + x2) * .4 * population. The people > 50k owe 13 trillion.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2018, 5:32 pm

If you really want to retire, put money into tax advantaged savings accounts like the Roth/IRA/401k/403b. Not only do you save money for retirement, but you get used to living on less money. Many employers will match at least some of the money you put into a 401k.

I've saved enough for early retirement, so I no longer have to worry about getting laid off. 8) It helps to have paid off the mortgage years ago.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 8:13 am

BTDT wrote:
If you really want to retire, put money into tax advantaged savings accounts like the Roth/IRA/401k/403b. Not only do you save money for retirement, but you get used to living on less money. Many employers will match at least some of the money you put into a 401k.

I've saved enough for early retirement, so I no longer have to worry about getting laid off. 8) It helps to have paid off the mortgage years ago.

SMART! That's what I do. I love it.

I actually don't save much otherwise but I max out my retirement savings.

$18,500 ROTH 401k
$5, 500 ROTH IRA

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 8:22 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I just threw that in Excel, gave each range a soft-knee of like (x1 + x2) * .4 * population. The people > 50k owe 13 trillion.

OMG. That's absurd.

Wait. Total student debt is only 1.5 trillion.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stude ... 2018-05-08

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

03 Nov 2018, 9:17 am

That might either suggest that they're taking that as a snapshot of certain start/end points or that chart that I processed had something off in the number of students over 50k. When I calculated the total of all loans on that chart I got back something like 7.05 * 10E13 which AFAICT would be 70.5 trillion dollars - most of which wouldn't be problematic since I think 57 trillion of that was below 25k.

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

03 Nov 2018, 11:34 pm

I did the math again and have no idea how I got the output I did, AFAICT I did the exact same thing.

The re-tally: 1.1 trillion with 600 million over 50k.