Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2018, 6:39 am

Just wondering since I've often heard that people who get to the later stages of their countries' maths Olympiad selection processes are disproportionately on the spectrum. I really enjoy Olympiad maths and dabble in the informatics and linguistics olympiads too, but haven't got as far in those (I've been to a few selection camps for maths). Number theory is probably my favourite area; I feel like nt problems sum up (no pun intended :p) what I like about maths.

ENTP-A

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 6:42 am

What IS "Olympiad math"?

Never heard of it before.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2018, 8:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
What IS "Olympiad math"?

Never heard of it before.

A high school competition based on algebra, number theory, combinatorics and geometry. The people who do the best in each country's selection rounds go through to the International Mathematical Olympiad.

ENTP-A

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 3:40 am

8128 wrote:
Just wondering since I've often heard that people who get to the later stages of their countries' maths Olympiad selection processes are disproportionately on the spectrum. I really enjoy Olympiad maths and dabble in the informatics and linguistics olympiads too, but haven't got as far in those (I've been to a few selection camps for maths). Number theory is probably my favourite area; I feel like nt problems sum up (no pun intended :p) what I like about maths.

I follow the competitions and note famous IMO competitors, like Zhuo Qun Song of Canada(that freaky genius!) but was never involved.

Ciprian Manolescu of Romania is also a major freak genius winning the Putnam 3 times as well!

Noam Elkies(yes, Putnam as well!) is AWESOME! ....and of course Terry Tao 8O !

I've seen BBC documentary titled Beautiful Young Minds prolly 3 times. HAHAHA! :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 4:01 pm

I like doing Olympiad problems (in mathematics and Informatics) but I've never been to one. I was something of a mathematical genius in high school, but by the point people realised it, I suppose it was too late. We don't really have anything like that in this country anyway.