House of Cards final season: disappointing

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 8:47 pm

Maybe it's too many months since the prior season came out. Maybe it's paling in comparison to the crimes of contemporary real-world politics. Maybe it's the plot incontinuity of Frank (Kevin Spacey) "dying" between seasons, due to Spacey having to leave the series because of same-sex harassment of younger actors, coming to light in the "me too" movement of this past year.

First I had some difficulty figuring out who was who; second, Claire (Robin Wright) no longer has any redeeming features that would make her likeable; and finally, it just seemed like the body count of this series has gotten unreasonably high.

Anybody disagree?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 10:41 pm

My interest in the series has waned over the years but without Spacey in his role I don't really have any interest left. IMO whatever happens in real life off show shouldn't affect the writing of the series. Much of the appeal of the show was in the unique dynamic between Frank and Claire, and without one of them I feel like the show would lose a lot.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 12:08 am

We were all waiting for Frank to have a serious meetup with Karma. I haven't seen the final series and probably won't bother. Spacey's performance was so adept and hypnotic that it isn't really House of Cards without him now, though the previous 5 series were outstanding. Pity it had to end like this. It would sort of be a bit like watching a Batman movie sans Batman at this stage.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2018, 8:59 pm

I think the show jumped the shark last season. They were trying too hard to outdo reality (i.e. Trump). Mark and Jane were such boring characters.