Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2018, 6:10 pm

I feel extremely left out at school. Everybody else in my grade is focused on different academic stuff and driving.

They are all applying to university. They also talk about SATs and ACTs alot. I asked if I would take them. I was told no. I feel different. My siblings before me took the SATs.

Then, alot of kids in my class are driving. I have focus issues and twitchiness that makes that not something I will be doing soon.

Im also mostly in special education for some of my subjects. I get adapted work sometimes. I also get less homework. Im really good at english class though. I do the same work as everybody else in that class. I also like to read and learn.

I also act younger than my age apparently

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 11:14 pm

"Everybody else in my grade is focused on different academic stuff and driving."

"Everyone"? If there is one exception, the whole statement is false

Why not hang out with students younger than you?

"They also talk about SATs and ACTs alot. I asked if I would take them. I was told no. "
Who told you that you could not take the SAT or ACT?

18 years ago wHen I took the SAT, anyone could take it. Customer service
Having said that , you can go to trade school, community college, peace corps, whatever

Not taking the SAT is not missing anything

My precious lil "parents" made me take SAT in 7 the grade so I feel justified at making that statement

Then, alot of kids in my class are driving. I have focus issues and twitchiness that makes that not something I will be doing soon.

Not everyone drives. Medical or financial reasons.

Some driver's get in crashes and get injured or lose civil lawsuits.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Nov 2018, 8:56 am

I know how you feel Ilikemusic. When I was a senior, most all my peers were driving & focusing on what they would do after high-skewl. I cant drive cuz my vision is too bad due to a rare low vision disorder, I have problems focusing due to AD[H]D, & I get lost easily due to dyslexia & getting directions confused & mixed-up. Most of my peers were planning on college & the 1s who weren't were planning on doing other things like going to trade skewl, joining the military, going to the police academy ect. I was the only one without a plan. I struggled in most of my classes due to dyslexia so about the only thing I knew for sure was that I did NOT want to go to college. My parents made me take the ACTs(I think but may of been SATs) between 11th & 12th grade. I did not want to take them but I didn't have a choice. I had extra time on the tests thou. I wanted a job instead of college but didn't know how to go about it. My vision disorder had got diagnosed my senior year of high-skewl(it's rare & all the eye docs I saw before just thought I was being difficult cuz I didn't want to wear glasses) & me & my parents did talk to voc rehab after it got diagnosed but they didn't do anything then & said to see them after I graduated.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:10 am

Try to find people who share your interests, or try to cultivate an interest in theirs. Many trades (AC/HVAC, plumbing, electrical come to mind) generally pay much more (and there are often more job opportunities) than most folks get with a freshly minted bachelor's degree (and often, a Master's) with a much lighter student debt load. Lots of folks who work better alone, or do better with things than people, do pretty well in trades like that.

My experience of school was pretty miserable. Life got better.
Hang in there.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 12:44 am

Don't let your detractors hold you back! Take your SATs! Take your ACTs! Enrol in university! Get your driver's license! Don't let them tell you you can't do any of these things!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 9:21 pm

Some driving schools teach students with unusual needs

Look it up online

Unless a medical doctor gave you a diagnosis for a condition, that the Department of Motor Vehicles (whatever it is called where you live), you can get a driver's license

You can apply to college. College can accept or reject you

Otherwise, community college

If you want

But society acts like college is much better than it is

Sat, act. You are not missing anything

My precious lil "parents" made me take the SAT in 7th grade

35 years old and only worked minimum wage jobs

If you want, take the SAT

Do not let anyone tell you not to.

But there is nothing so great about the satw

lylamorris
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2018, 4:59 am

Never get afraid with such exams and their results. All you need to do is to believe in your self. It can only help you and you can come up with good results. All you need to focus on yourself and what you want from your life. Try to find your interest in any subject. It can be anything from maths, science to art and music. Just be confident and get the self-awareness. It is not important that what other people are doing but what you want to do is more important. If you want you can read it here about the self-awareness and how it helps you.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:12 am

If you know the material well enough you can go into the exam perfectly relaxed.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 12:08 pm

At 35 years old, I feel left out too

Especially around public holidays

Everything is closed

Rain,

So what?

Socially I feel left out

But SAT? College?

Finished both

College is not all that society acts like it is

Especially for autistics

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:04 am

You should either take the SAT or ACT.

Are you on pace to get a "regular" diploma, Ilikemusic?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:45 pm

If you want, take the SAT

If you want, take the ACT

Do not let anyone tell you not to

However, if you do not take them, you are not missing anything

In California, students can go to community college and transfer

No SAT or ACT

Same diploma

Not everyone goes to college and college is not for everyone