Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 12:14 am

The impossible monster that is South Park's metaphor for global warming, and through it a means to ridicule environmental champion Al Gore for trying to call attention to the monster, turns out to be real. In recent years, Republicans Trey Parker and Matt Stone have seemingly reevaluated their views on global warming, and thus apologize through Cartman, Stan, Kyle, and Kenny for ridiculing him.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 10:08 am

So are the White Walkers.
https://geeks.media/is-game-of-thrones- ... ate-change

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 1:43 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Hmm, I never thought of that.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 2:46 pm

I don't think Parker and Stone are Republicans; being more sensible than most Americans who are suckered in by the Republican/Democrat (exactly the same thing, in policy terms) nonsense, they seem to reject both parties. This point is illustrated hilariously in the running gag of Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich, metaphors for the two main parties.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 2:56 pm

I think Matt Stone is a Republican, and Trey Parker is a Libertarian.

Strangely, not very many conservatives watch animated sitcoms.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 3:33 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
I don't think Parker and Stone are Republicans; being more sensible than most Americans who are suckered in by the Republican/Democrat (exactly the same thing, in policy terms) nonsense, they seem to reject both parties. This point is illustrated hilariously in the running gag of Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich, metaphors for the two main parties.

They have both identified publicly as such.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 3:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I'd like to see your source for this. Not that I doubt you, I'm genuinely interested; their Wikipedia page doesn't mention it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_P ... Matt_Stone

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 9:38 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I'd like to see your source for this. Not that I doubt you, I'm genuinely interested; their Wikipedia page doesn't mention it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_P ... Matt_Stone

I saw it on some news report, don't remember which.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 10:05 pm

Even Matt and Trey think global warming is real?

Of course global warming is real but that doesn't mean Al Gore is exempt from criticism. I think he Al Gore did more harm than good, first by politicising what should be seen as a scientific issue (notice the correlation between people's opinions on climate change and their politics) and second by making exaggerated claims, like claiming all of the ice in Antarctica will melt (if the temperature goes up by 2°, the ice at the south pole, which is about -28° at summer, will not melt).

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2018, 12:34 am

Apparently you Al Gore worshipers don't know that he(just like the rest of the global warming hypocrites) travels around in a private plane that guzzles fossil fuel and spews greenhouse gas.

Whether global warming exists or not is the wrong argument. How much humans are responsible for it is. I believe we're 15-20% responsible for it and the rest is natural climatological cycle. To think we're 0%(conservatives) or 100%(liberals) responsible for it is ridiculous.

Matt and Trey are neither Democrat or Republican, which is why there show is so great. They no better than to take a side politically and alienate half the country.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 12:46 am

Heat844 wrote:
Apparently you Al Gore worshipers don't know that he(just like the rest of the global warming hypocrites) travels around in a private plane that guzzles fossil fuel and spews greenhouse gas.

Whether global warming exists or not is the wrong argument. How much humans are responsible for it is. I believe we're 15-20% responsible for it and the rest is natural climatological cycle. To think we're 0%(conservatives) or 100%(liberals) responsible for it is ridiculous.

Matt and Trey are neither Democrat or Republican, which is why there show is so great. They no better than to take a side politically and alienate half the country.

They are both Republicans, but are pro-LGBT, and have not been bamboozled by the cult of Trump.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 5:37 am

Personally, I don't see why environmentalism should be a monopoly of the left. I consider myself something of a conservative on most issues and this is exactly why I am deeply passionate about conserving the environment. The British conservative philosopher Sir Roger Scruton is excellent on this topic:

Quote:
There is no political cause more amenable to the conservative vision than that of the environment. For it touches on the three foundational ideas of our movement: trans-generational loyalty, the priority of the local and the search for home. Conservatives resonate to Burke's view of society, as a partnership between the living, the unborn and the dead; they believe in civil association between neighbours rather than intervention by the state; and they accept that the most important thing the living can do is to settle down, to make a home for themselves, and to pass that home to their children

https://www.roger-scruton.com/articles/ ... nvironment

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2018, 4:27 am

You're right, everyone should practice environmentalism regardless of their political views.

I think it's because of Trump and his "big business at all costs" corporate views that has caused virtually all conservative thinkers in the US at least, to be considered anti-environment. He's harming their credibility.

The issue of saving life on the planet for all species, should not be a politically divisive issue but a scientific priority and all governments should pass appropriate legislation and budget for green practices.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 1:25 pm

Well, in fairness both major parties are controlled by big business, it's just that the Republicans are controlled by (ever so slightly) more immoral ones; the Republicans are primarily controlled by oil, fast food, tobacco and arms companies while the Democrats are more controlled by tech, pharmaceutical, media and so forth companies.