Why is Asperger's so much more common these days?

Page 7 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

ABG2019
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2018, 4:45 pm

I don't think it's GMOs. Are they responsible for other things? Maybe. But that just needs more investigation. And it certainly is not exposure to vaccines or Wifi.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:02 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Scotsman were the original aspies

Given the current trends:in fifty years....half of the world will be true Scotsmen!

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

Yeah I've noticed that it's becoming more of a fad, not entirely about awareness of it.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:08 pm

Yeah I've noticed that it's becoming more of a fad, not entirely about awareness of it.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm

So could it be that all along aspies made up a significant fraction of the population?

ValiantThor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2018, 9:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Could the increase be explained by improvements in picking up on those who are on the spectrum ?

That's more, or less, what most folks on this six page thread have suggested.

Up until roughly 2000, I would agree. And no, I am not contradicting myself, naturalplastic. The study of the phenomenon we call Autism is a relatively new field. It wasn't until 1993 that they added Asperger's to the Spectrum. It's because the experts didn't understand that we are part of the group. The science into the study of Autism evolved in a short time. It wasn't until approximately 2000 until psychologists, psychiatrists, behaviorists, and the rest of the healthcare field got on the same page as far as what the definition of Autism should be.

Since that point, there is nothing to account for the acceleration of diagnoses.

All I'm doing is presenting a possibility. Please be courteous with your feedback, as I have done nothing to slight any of you. I believe there is something greater at work and that's my right to believe.

ValiantThor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Evolution just doesn't happen that fast; Natural is right.

It's impossible for the "rise" in autism to be an evolutionary manifestation.

Any scientist worth his/her salt would know that.

So, scientists and evolutionary psychologists are never wrong? The think about my argument is that there is little hard evidence that either could present to disprove my belief.

There are certain innate gifts associated with Autism. If you're not familiar with some of those so-called gifts, then I suggest you take it upon yourself to research this. Those are clues as to where we as a group are heading.

Again, I do not post to be ridiculed by those who are close-minded. I'm here to present a different perspective. If you do not share my views, then simply ignore me and move on. I mean no disrespect.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 10:16 pm

ValiantThor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Could the increase be explained by improvements in picking up on those who are on the spectrum ?

Up until roughly 2000, I would agree. And no, I am not contradicting myself, naturalplastic. The study of the phenomenon we call Autism is a relatively new field. It wasn't until 1993 that they added Asperger's to the Spectrum. It's because the experts didn't understand that we are part of the group. The science into the study of Autism evolved in a short time. It wasn't until approximately 2000 until psychologists, psychiatrists, behaviorists, and the rest of the healthcare field got on the same page as far as what the definition of Autism should be.

Since that point, there is nothing to account for the acceleration of diagnoses.

All I'm doing is presenting a possibility. Please be courteous with your feedback, as I have done nothing to slight any of you. I believe there is something greater at work and that's my right to believe.

"Since that point there is NOTHING to account for the accerlation of diagnosis".

You yourself know full well that that is dead wrong. There are numerous factors you have to take into account as possible explanations for the rise in the rate of diagnosis. Principle of them being that we are simply getting better at find the autistics who already there. As you yourself just said "the study of autism is relatively new". That truth cuts both ways, and cuts harder against your assertion than in favor of it.

I mean ...give us all a break. I went to a shrink for years, and when my family suggested to her that I might have aspergers she told us that she "had never before even heard of aspergers before my mom,sister, and I told her about it", and that was around ten years ago (more than 12 years after aspergers became recognized as an official diagnosis in the US). It wasn't until several years after that I got the official exhaustive test to get the official diagnosis. So it wasn't until well after 2000 that I myself joined the ranks of the diagnosed. So my own personal experience puts the lie to what you're saying.

Nobody has been disrespectful to you on this thread.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 1:36 am

ValiantThor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I was diagnosed long before 2000. In a time when Autism was more associated with Rain Man and Asperger’s was completely rare. Experts did know about back then but only the basic knowledge of Asperger’s. There has been a lot more research since the 90’s. I remember some things that I was told and that information is now wrong and new information has come in which contradicts what I was told back then.

ValiantThor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2018, 1:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ValiantThor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

"Since that point there is NOTHING to account for the accerlation of diagnosis".

You yourself know full well that that is dead wrong. There are numerous factors you have to take into account as possible explanations for the rise in the rate of diagnosis. Principle of them being that we are simply getting better at find the autistics who already there. As you yourself just said "the study of autism is relatively new". That truth cuts both ways, and cuts harder against your assertion than in favor of it.

I mean ...give us all a break. I went to a shrink for years, and when my family suggested to her that I might have aspergers she told us that she "had never before even heard of aspergers before my mom,sister, and I told her about it", and that was around ten years ago (more than 12 years after aspergers became recognized as an official diagnosis in the US). It wasn't until several years after that I got the official exhaustive test to get the official diagnosis. So it wasn't until well after 2000 that I myself joined the ranks of the diagnosed. So my own personal experience puts the lie to what you're saying.

Nobody has been disrespectful??? Look at your own comments that I underlined, you blind fool. You obviously are not one the enlightened minds that I've seen associated with this so called disorder, so please ignore what I've written and go back to wallowing in self-pity about your years of hardship. Also, proofread your posts before making them public and maybe people will take what you spew more seriously. Oh wait, nevermind. :roll:

ValiantThor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2018, 2:11 am

MrMacPhisto wrote:
ValiantThor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I was diagnosed long before 2000. In a time when Autism was more associated with Rain Man and Asperger’s was completely rare. Experts did know about back then but only the basic knowledge of Asperger’s. There has been a lot more research since the 90’s. I remember some things that I was told and that information is now wrong and new information has come in which contradicts what I was told back then.

1993 was the turning point for diagnoses. It's when Asperger's was added, which caused a massive swing in the numbers. Adding it to the DSM-IV accounts for the single biggest increase in Autism prevalence rates. It took several years for the healthcare field to get up to speed and onto the same scoresheet regarding Autism assessment and diagnostic standards. I'm using the year 2000 as a point to where the doctors, psychiatrists, phycologists, etc. pretty much got on the same page regarding standards. Revised assessment standards are not the proximate cause of going from 1 in 150 in 2000 to 1 in 40 today.

MOD EDIT: Edited out personal attack

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 2:14 am

The rate of Asperger’s diagnosis is not going up at all. It has been crashing due to its removal from the DSM and its forthcoming removal from the ICD.

As for the rate of Autism spectrum diagnosis I gave my opinion on the end of page 1 of this thread. I would add in addition to expanding criteria, and the the world becoming more autistic unfriendly there is considerably more awareness of the expanded criteria/spectrum then in 2000.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 10 Dec 2018, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ValiantThor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2018, 2:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The rate of Asperger’s diagnosis is not going up at all. It has been crashing due to its removal from the DSM and its forthcoming removal from the ICD.

Please do so more research. I think you are disillusioned.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 2:37 am

ValiantThor wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Please explain to me the process of how a diagnosis being removed from one of the two main diagnostic manuals makes the rate of said diagnosis not go down. Have mercy on us evolutionary laggards.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

ValiantThor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ValiantThor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Nobody has been disrespectful??? Look at your own comments that I underlined, you blind fool. You obviously are not one the enlightened minds that I've seen associated with this so called disorder, so please ignore what I've written and go back to wallowing in self-pity about your years of hardship. Also, proofread your posts before making them public and maybe people will take what you spew more seriously. Oh wait, nevermind. :roll:

Exactly!
I have not been disrespectful to you. Those underlined statements are not in any way disrespectful. If you said that the moon is made is made of green cheese then you would be "dead wrong". Likewise when say X proves Y when X does not prove Y then you would also be dead wrong. If you happened to be dead wrong about something then I have no choice but say that you're dead wrong. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:52 pm

ValiantThor wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Yes. Strictly speaking "aspergers" has gotten less common because they stopped using it as an official diagnosis. :)

But plough through the modern newest nomenclature you will find something called "level one autism with no speech delay" ( ie you are a high functioning autistic who learned to speak at the normal time) which more or less adds up to the same thing as "aspergers". So I suppose (if you wanted to make something out of the stats) you could take all of the latest people getting diagnosed as "level one with no speech delay" and put them on the same trajectory as the folks who were labeled "aspergers" up until a few years ago(including moi, I was probably one of the last Americans to get the label).