Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lucian Hodoboc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2018, 11:35 am

Let's have a thread for naming some movies that we think are underrated. Sometimes, we really enjoy a certain movie that the majority of our friends consider bad, or a movie that the box office defines as a flop. Can you think of any movies that you enjoyed despite the fact that they are unpopular?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 6:22 pm

I think "Lizzie Borden Took An Ax" was pretty good. I don't think it's a popular movie and it was probably a made-for-TV type of movie but Christina Ricci played the main character is she is a fantastic actress on my opinion.

Also this movie got me curious about the real Lizzie Borden so I did a little research online and watched a documentary about her and was surprised to learn how close tjis movie was to what actually happened during the murders and while she was on trial.

"The Lizzie Borden Chronicles" on the other hand sucked. It was historically inaccurate on so many levels and way too campy. They tried to turn Lizzie into some sort of scheming femme fatale when in reality the only reason she got away with the murders of her parents was because of poor police work, luck being on her side, and being a church lady from a respectable family who couldn't possibly have commited such a horrible act meant that the times were pretty much in her favor. :roll:

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)

It's not THE best movie ever, but i like rewatching it. I like the story and that he finds love at the end.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:30 pm

Punch-Drunk Love starring Adam Sandler in an against-type role that should have scored him an Oscar nod.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Dec 2018, 5:44 pm

Howard The Duck. It's considered a bad movie because when it came out people knew it was by George Lucas who created Star Wars. People were expecting an epic SyFy movie & instead Howard The Duck is a SyFy comedy. People were disappointed because it was not what they were expecting & the critics kept going on about how bad it was because of that. Howard The Duck would of done a lot better if people didn't know who created it, it was done by someone else, or if Star Wars had never came out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 10:48 pm

All great crime films, but IMO are underrated:

Collateral

In Bruges

Seven Psychopaths

Panic Room

The Place Beyond The Pines

End Of Watch

Insomnia

Brick

Enemy

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Sexy Beast

Gone Baby Gone

The Secret In Their Eyes

Nightcrawler

Inherent Vice

Miller's Crossing

Kill Your Darlings

The Bling Ring

Zodiac

Layer Cake

The Bank Job

Tower Heist

Rock & Rolla

(I'm sure there are many other films worthy of this list.)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

nick007 wrote:
Howard The Duck. It's considered a bad movie because when it came out people knew it was by George Lucas who created Star Wars. People were expecting an epic SyFy movie & instead Howard The Duck is a SyFy comedy. People were disappointed because it was not what they were expecting & the critics kept going on about how bad it was because of that. Howard The Duck would of done a lot better if people didn't know who created it, it was done by someone else, or if Star Wars had never came out.

The primary reason why I hated that movie was because it was so unlike the Marvel comics Howard the Duck. Howard wasn't a pre-med student, he was a cigar chomping, hard drinking, sex obsessed garbage man (duck). The real Howard has made brief appearances in the Guardians Of The Galaxy movies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 7:47 pm

Cthulhu.

Truthfully, just about everybody who's seen this movie has liked it. The problem is, not nearly enough people have ever watched it. The film is actually a retelling of Lovecraft's, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, though set in the Pacific Northwest sometime in the near future, rather than 1930's New England. Also, the lead character is not only saddled with facing the truth about his non-human lineage, but added is how he faces prejudice against his own homosexuality. I think this film is so underrated because it had been made with a shoestring budget, had limited release (if released at all beyond DVD), and only has Tori Spelling as the only recognizable cast member.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 7:55 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Zodiac

I saw it in the theater, and have watched it many times since. I'll watch it many times more.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 9:48 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
nick007 wrote:

The primary reason why I hated that movie was because it was so unlike the Marvel comics Howard the Duck. Howard wasn't a pre-med student, he was a cigar chomping, hard drinking, sex obsessed garbage man (duck). The real Howard has made brief appearances in the Guardians Of The Galaxy movies.
I never knew it was based on a comic until I saw the DVD commentary

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:46 pm

HighLlama wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Zodiac

I saw it in the theater, and have watched it many times since.

David Fincher did an excellent job directing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 11:48 pm

nick007 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Have you ever had a chance to read the Howard the Duck comic books? They're absolutely hilarious.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 3:55 am

Superman 3.

At the time it was released it was considered sacrilege, decades later it is still a punch line but I thought it was a cool satire.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 8:40 am

Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole. The story might be pretty basic and some of the characters might not be particularly complex, but the movie itself has a mythology that it wholeheartedly believes in while also having the best CG animation since Happy Feet (which makes sense as some of the people who worked on Happy Feet also worked on this movie). There are so many times watching this movie where I've felt like I was looking at real owls. Plus, I give Zack Snyder credit for trying to do a more family friendly movie after adult fare like 300 and Watchmen. For the most part, I can understand and accept when people say they don't care for this movie. What I can't accept and what really pisses me off is when they try to pass off that this movie is one of Zack Snyder's worst movies with some even claiming that it's worse than the theatrical release of Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, not the badass R-rated extended cut of the movie. Really?!? You think that a harmless kids movie like LOTG is worse than a movie that took a big steaming dump on one of the most popular comic stories of all time? You have serious priorities to reconsider.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 7:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Have you ever had a chance to read the Howard the Duck comic books? They're absolutely hilarious.
I'm not into comics(I'm not that much of a visual person) but I should look em up online. Maybe I could find post online

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 9:07 pm

nick007 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I'm not into comics(I'm not that much of a visual person) but I should look em up online. Maybe I could find post online

The only Howard The Duck comic I remember reading was the first one involving an evil intergalactic accountant (at least I think that's what he was) who sent Howard and Beverly to some other dimension to retrieve a crystal key for him... oh and Spider-Man had a cameo. I mostly remember how sexy Beverly looked in that get up she had throughout the comic. 8)