Would you be willing to enter a sexless relationship?

Page 8 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Would you enter a sexless relationship?
Yes-I'm male 27%  27%  [ 16 ]
Yes-I'm female 24%  24%  [ 14 ]
No- I'm male 32%  32%  [ 19 ]
No- I'm female 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 59

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2018, 4:17 pm

why the hell would i want to do that?

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 4:57 pm

I'm in a sexless relationship. It's long term (nearly 20 years now) and it didn't start out that way. Warning - what follows may be one of the odder stories...but this is my truth, so I'm not open to being criticised for it. :-) Also it was not my preference to be in a sexless relationship but I love my partner so much that it is a compromise I am willing to make. A lot of people don't believe me, but most people cannot get their heads around me anyway (shrug).

Like you, Arganger, I am a Christian, I am also gay. Outsiders would, no doubt, call me bisexual because I have been in relationships and marriages with men, but I don't have a sexual attraction for men, it's mainly been a distorted power thing due to abuse (too long a story and irrelevant here). I identify as lesbian. Anyway my partner is transitioning MTF, and I love them both in their male identity and their female identity - but I am sexually attracted to their female identity. When we were first together there was a lot of sexual activity. It was a crazy few months...then it stopped. My partner is primarily asexual, but when there is any sexual attraction it is to females, so they identify as a lesbian.

At first when the sex stopped I was devastated and felt it as a rejection of me. However, at that particular time it was a good thing as I had started a period of intense therapy for the abuse I had suffered, and I went to some pretty freaky places. Sex probably should have been off the table while I was dealing with that anyway. The therapy continued for years, and over time, and after the therapy finished, I began to see and respect my partners need for no contact in a sexual way. I also knew, as my love deepened for them, that I did not want to live without them. We are not just friends or roommates, we share a much closer bond than that. For example all my friends and my family members exhaust me after an hour or so in their company. But I do not have this reaction at all with x (my partner). Also I can quite happily use the toilet when they are in the shower, and I can barely use the toilet in another persons house! These might seem odd things but I have thought about this for very long time in defining just what my relationship with x is.

With regards to the Gay and Christian thing - that is another whole area that I am only just opening my mind and heart to. another subject perhaps, but because it is forefront with me at the moment I will just mention briefly that I have felt unaccepted in both worlds (the church and the rainbow community) but with my partner's transition which is becoming more obvious and will be more permanent, I have to tackle this head-on and have recently met with church leadership and come out to them. Watch this space.

Is summary (if you don't want to read the wall of text) Arganger - I believe you can write your own list of what you want in a relationship and as statistically improbable as it might be, it can happen. :heart: :heart: :heart:

AQ 40
ASD-1

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:07 pm

Christian and gay is an oxymoron. The bible makes its stance on homosexuality very clear.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:11 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Christian and gay is an oxymoron. The bible makes its stance on homosexuality very clear.

Incorrect, all Christians sin, acting on homosexuality is no different than any other sin and therefor not an oxymoron.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:15 pm

feeli0 wrote:
I'm in a sexless relationship. It's long term (nearly 20 years now) and it didn't start out that way. Warning - what follows may be one of the odder stories...but this is my truth, so I'm not open to being criticised for it. :-) Also it was not my preference to be in a sexless relationship but I love my partner so much that it is a compromise I am willing to make. A lot of people don't believe me, but most people cannot get their heads around me anyway (shrug).

Like you, Arganger, I am a Christian, I am also gay. Outsiders would, no doubt, call me bisexual because I have been in relationships and marriages with men, but I don't have a sexual attraction for men, it's mainly been a distorted power thing due to abuse (too long a story and irrelevant here). I identify as lesbian. Anyway my partner is transitioning MTF, and I love them both in their male identity and their female identity - but I am sexually attracted to their female identity. When we were first together there was a lot of sexual activity. It was a crazy few months...then it stopped. My partner is primarily asexual, but when there is any sexual attraction it is to females, so they identify as a lesbian.

At first when the sex stopped I was devastated and felt it as a rejection of me. However, at that particular time it was a good thing as I had started a period of intense therapy for the abuse I had suffered, and I went to some pretty freaky places. Sex probably should have been off the table while I was dealing with that anyway. The therapy continued for years, and over time, and after the therapy finished, I began to see and respect my partners need for no contact in a sexual way. I also knew, as my love deepened for them, that I did not want to live without them. We are not just friends or roommates, we share a much closer bond than that. For example all my friends and my family members exhaust me after an hour or so in their company. But I do not have this reaction at all with x (my partner). Also I can quite happily use the toilet when they are in the shower, and I can barely use the toilet in another persons house! These might seem odd things but I have thought about this for very long time in defining just what my relationship with x is.

With regards to the Gay and Christian thing - that is another whole area that I am only just opening my mind and heart to. another subject perhaps, but because it is forefront with me at the moment I will just mention briefly that I have felt unaccepted in both worlds (the church and the rainbow community) but with my partner's transition which is becoming more obvious and will be more permanent, I have to tackle this head-on and have recently met with church leadership and come out to them. Watch this space.

Is summary (if you don't want to read the wall of text) Arganger - I believe you can write your own list of what you want in a relationship and as statistically improbable as it might be, it can happen. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I appreciate your input :D
Also from my point of view at least, a female dating someone male to female transgender isn't a sin, but the reason I think that probably would annoy most transgender people.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:22 pm

Arganger wrote:

Incorrect, all Christians sin, acting on homosexuality is no different than any other sin and therefor not an oxymoron.

Yes, but it's expected that once you realise you've sinned that you repent, not keep doing it because you want to...

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:28 pm

Arganger wrote:

Yes, but it's expected that once you realise you've sinned that you repent, not keep doing it because you want to...

God works on things one at a time, polishing people slowly.
Most of the time, they are working on something else first. May not even get to it until death.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

Arganger wrote:
Arganger wrote:

Most of the time, they are working on something else first. May not even get to it until death.

Then the whole concept of sinning becomes obsolete. Just do what you want and God must be polishing you slowly until you fit his standards. That's nonsensical. We all have free will to do what we please, and if we do things that don't align with Christian values, it's idiotic to call yourself a Christian if you're not at least aiming to change.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:39 pm

Arganger wrote:
Arganger wrote:

Then the whole concept of sinning becomes obsolete. Just do what you want and God must be polishing you slowly until you fit his standards. That's nonsensical. We all have free will to do what we please, and if we do things that don't align with Christian values, it's idiotic to call yourself a Christian if you're not at least aiming to change.

You aren't a christian so I honestly fail to see why you care.

I agree that any christian should constantly work to become better and rid themselves of sin, but it is a process. Things don't tend to happen at once. I personally meditate over the bible at least once a week to see where I fall short and try to think of ways to do better.

I'm still far from perfect, and the point of Jesus's sacrifice was to cover that sin. Because no human on their own can become perfect. Doing good, and becoming better is meant to happen out of love of God, not fear of imperfection.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:45 pm

I said yes for the poll but I would like even more to be in a sex only relationship. Something really superficial and cold. I just don't have the emotional capacity to handle the normal part of the relationship. If I'm going to have a sexual encounter I want it to be with someone who doesn't overlap as "friend" in any way, including girl friend, and I'd rather they just be a loosely affiliated acquaintance. But I would also like it to be a willing thing. I don't like it when people have to "sell" themselves.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 7:14 pm

There are other viewpoints on homosexuality and the Bible. There are specifically 6 scriptures that deal with it, and several books that are written on the subject disagreeing that the Bible makes a clear statement about sexual orientation. I don't believe it is an oxymoron. Christianity, as Arganger mentioned is based on our salvation coming from God's Grace rather than the 'good works' we perform. It is Christ who dwells within us who purifies and and sanctifies us and it is the state of our heart that we will be judged on rather than the state of our knickers. Really don't like arguing religion, it's my business what I choose to believe, just thought I would throw that in.

AQ 40
ASD-1

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 7:19 pm

There are some Christian sects which extol "good works," I believe.

The one which primarily refers to "God's Grace" as being the only determinant of Salvation, I believe, is Calvinism.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 7:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are some Christian sects which extol "good works," I believe.

The one which primarily refers to "God's Grace" as being the only determinant of Salvation, I believe, is Calvinism.

Oh OK I did not know that. Calvinism must be across a wide number of denominations then. All the ones I have anything to do with have said that, so I am unaware of the alternatives. This is why I don't like debating stuff because I only know what I know. I prefer to read and lurk and learn things. Whats the other called? Is it Armenianism or something...I faintly recall a meme..

AQ 40
ASD-1

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 7:28 pm

Remember: I'm not 100% sure. But I do know that Salvation through God's Grace alone, without "good works" being beneficial at all, is associated with Calvinism. Which sort of bothers me (but doesn't get me really passionate).

I am an agnostic-atheist myself.

I do know that Calvinists believe in "predestination." Basically, this means that your fate is "preordained" even before you are born.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 8:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Remember: I'm not 100% sure. But I do know that Salvation through God's Grace alone, without "good works" being beneficial at all, is associated with Calvinism. Which sort of bothers me (but doesn't get me really passionate).

I am an agnostic-atheist myself.

I do know that Calvinists believe in "predestination." Basically, this means that your fate is "preordained" even before you are born.

There is a difference between that and what we are talking about. I'm an LCMS Lutheran myself, and we believe salvation comes from God, not works, but the love of God that comes from faith is what drives good works.
Differently not in predestination, each individual has the ability to reject or accept God, that is what free will is.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:06 pm

Arganger wrote:
You aren't a christian so I honestly fail to see why you care.

Logical inconsistencies are a pet peeve of mine.