Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

I've been facing non-stop discrimination and not only my dating life, but especially employment.

I would normally disclose my diagnosis went on a job interview until last year, when I did not disclose on interview but I kept a special education school I went to on my resume because it was also a vocational school.

despite not disclosing my autism my employer likely found out about the school I went to and chose not to hire me, as is who I went to was the Boston higashi School.

and recently I decided to remove any reference of autism from my resume and not mention it on the interview either.

my job coach saw that would be a better idea but I'm usually a very pessimistic person and I told my job coach that if I disclose my autism after I get hired they will fire me for dishonesty, yet they will actually be firing me for being disabled but they'll just use dishonesty as an excuse to fire me.

So recently,I went to a job interview at a restaurant right across the street from my college where I was hired as a waiter since I did not disclose my disability on my resume or during the interview.

I didn't want to tell them about my diagnosis, but my job coach insist I do.

So, towards the end of my first shift, I told my manager that I have asperger syndrome and that no matter how good my skills are no one hires me because of my diagnosis. Iet my manager know, how greatful I was for him giving me a chance to prove myself, and I told him, that I will work my hardest to prove my worthiness of working there.

even though I was the fastest worker and the most productive and I was the only one who didn't make a mess, as expected and as I warned my job coach, I got fired the next day.

she made up a lie telling me that he was firing me for lying on my resume about my job experience even though I was completely honest and even after I prove to him that I was not being dishonest he still told me that I don't have the proper experience even though I did. I confronted him telling him that I know the real reason he was firing me, I told him, "I think it's because I told you it's because I'm autistic isn't it. I mean, there is no other explanation as it is clearly not for my work performance, so then what reason is it?"

He then told me it was for my confrontational attitude, and he used me questioning the reason for letting me go, as to why he was firing me.

Then, I applied to GameStop and upon looking at my experience of four years in retail they promptly called me for an interview.

this time, my job coach with accompany me for the interview and I asked you not to disclose my diagnosis and she told me it was her responsibility to tell them about my diagnosis and I made a prophetic prediction where I warned her that if she told them about my diagnosis they will I to and tell me that there is no position available for the position that they called me for the interview.

My job coach told me not to be so negative and that I will very likely get hired and she put the chance of me getting hired at 100% while I put it as at 0% I knew she was going to to close my diagnosis.

During the interview the Ashley questions about scenarios and how I should respond to them and after that questionnaire was done the interviewer told me that that I answered everything correctly, after making it clear that you wanted to hire me my job coach notified the interviewer that I was artistic and that I work at Staples part time but they don't want to give me a another position because they know that I have autism while there is another artistic personal works there who did not disclose his diagnosis and he has a higher position than me. she's a told them that no matter how hard I work the other cashier's and associates take the credit for themselves and the managers don't do anything. My job coach informed the engineer. They do this deliberately so they will not give me more hours so the other associate pay the credit for themselves so they will get more hours and not me.

upon saying that she finally told me back the position that I was looking for wasn't available and to call back in a week.

"After we left the interview, I told my job coach that weather I call or not in a week that will tell me that they will have no position available this my predictions always verify and that they will probably get my position to someone else even though they will be probably less qualified than me since I'm in college and that's because you hold them about my diagnosis even though I asked you not to.
Just before you told him about my diagnosis I mention my experience and they told me that's why they called me for the interview only for them to tell me there's no position available after you told him about my diagnosis, you see I'm always right when I'm negative."

She told me not to be negative and to call back in a week, which I did and when I call back they told me that there was no position available at any location yeah I went online after they told me that and the website was hiring numerous positions for the position they told me wasn't available.

I showed my job coach the proof and she told me that's probably just a coincidence.

A few months later, I had another job interview and once again I GameStop, but at a different location and this time the person in charge of job placement tend to my interview and I asked you not to tell them about my diagnosis and she told me that she was going to get me the job guaranteed and I told her "no you won't, since I'm so unlucky they won't hire me if they find out I have autism."

Needless to say, I was right once again. the agency told me that they were going to look for a job for me, but I predicted that they weren't that I do anything and write when they were supposed to get me a job they told me that they opportunity is no longer there.

and during all those interviews I was clean-shaven I had a suit and tie on a professionally done resume and my behavior was perfect, so in your opinion why do you think no one ever hires me even though I have the right experience and I'm not socially awkward since and I've recorded my interviews in the past to prove my point and to bring up lawsuits if necessary.

The agency said that they were trying to get me a job at stop and shop and I was so sure that because of my bad luck that they were not going to get me the job that I decided to take matters into my own hands and get myself a job on my own terms and despite some promising to get me a job at stop & shop and trying to get me an interview there and finding myself jobs and interviews for myself, I'm still jobless to this day 8 hours a week doesn't really count as employment.
The agency told me is that the time for them to hire expired and I told him that I knew this is going to happen and this is why I was rushing them and also finding myself interviews as I knew this was going to happen. But they also told me that the reason they delayed finding me the job at stop & shop was because of my negative attitude, so I countered by telling them that the reason I'm so negative it's because of this s**t always happen to me. And furthermore I told them thatthis was exactly why I was so negative and pessimistic and they were just giving me more reasons to prove my point.

Just the other day a job developer from ahrc said I will be taking an online assessment for Daivergent, an online job for people with autism and disabilities, I was told that the assessment takes only an hour, but the problem is that my stuff in my apartment deliberately prevent me from doing my homework on the computer by constantly giving me needless chores to do. and then when all the chores are done they tell me at 11 p.m. that I have to go to bed and even after I argue and stood up for myself and tell them that the assignment is due at midnight and I have a lot of homework to do, they told me I should have came home earlier and when I win that argument by telling them that I had work in school all day, they still won't let me do my homework telling me that because I talked back and argued they will not let me do my homework that night. Now that I know my staff will not let me do my job since its computer-based, I'm going to record the next confrontation I have with my staff when they don't let me do my job so if I get fired I will tell the agency that got me the job that my staff is at fault and that I tried to get them to let me do my job and I will try to be very forceful and try to get my staff to let me do my job.

If the agency tries to pin this on me, I will upload the video on YouTube to make my staff at the agency for what they really are.

It doesn't even end there, as this discrimination also has recently affected my dating life. upon learning my lesson from a few relationships in the past I've decided not to tell my dates about my diagnosis.

However one of the girls I datedfound out about me having autism because of my mannerisms and I told her that I had it when she asked me and then she asked me why I didn't tell her and I told her about how girls in the past discriminated against me for having autism as they would not date me after finding out and every girl up to that point had done that to me so I did not want to take any chances.

During the date she pretended to understand and be very nice to me, but as soon as the day ended due to my pessimistic mindset I started making a video predicting that you would break up with me and ironically she actually sent me a text breaking up with me while I was making the video where I was predicting that she would break up with me for being autistic.

I ended the video and I called her and we got into a very heated fight what I said some horrible things to her and I even called her an ableist pig and I said I hope something horrible happened to her and her family.

To retaliate against me for going off on her even though she deserved it 100%, she lied to the class saying that I cheated on her and I found out about that when several of my friends didn't want to sit with me period to retaliate against her while my professor was still on his way I hook up my phone to the projector and showed the class explicit text messages where she was breaking up with me for being autistic and yes I called out my ex girlfriend for being an ableist in front of over 50 people, she should have seen the look on that ableist's face it was priceless. :D

thankfully I have a girlfriend now who's autistic as well and I hope that ableist pig is still single

Last edited by climategeek on 04 Dec 2018, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 7:00 pm

You see. You shouldn't disclose. It doesn't work in the "real world" most of the time.

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2018, 7:42 pm

But I got fired for not disclosing. also want my agency one with me I want them not to disclose and they did it anyway and I told him exactly how they would not hire me in exactly the scenario how I depicted happened. the agency said they were going to look for a job for me at stop & shop but then they decided not to can they blamed me saying that because I was so negative that I didn't deserve working at a place like that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 7:42 pm

You got fired for not disclosing----because you disclosed afterwards. Am I right?

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2018, 7:50 pm

But I got fired for not disclosing. also want my agency one with me I want them not to disclose and they did it anyway and I told him exactly how they would not hire me in exactly the scenario how I depicted happened. the agency said they were going to look for a job for me at stop & shop but then they decided not to can they blamed me saying that because I was so negative that I didn't deserve working at a place like that.

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm

I was told that I was being fired for being dishonest in my application. But yes, I was fired after disclosing my autism after they hired me. My job coach told me I should tell them just in case something happens, but because I'm always so negative I predicted that they would fire me if I told them and I voice a concern to my job coach and she told me that wouldn't happen, but as usual I am correct when I'm very pessimistic about something.

I decided to tell my manager right to his face that I knew he was discriminating against me for having autism since I did not lie about my job experience and that he better cut the crap.

Of course I didn't say that way as I would have been super rude, but I let him know that I knew the real reason that he was firing me for it and that I was not going to accept that.

we got into a bit of an argument where he was trying to convince me that he was not letting me go for disclosing my autism, while I was arguing that he was. in the end he told me that he was firing me for insubordination. he also told me I wasn't a good fit for the job because I was a college student even though the code was right across the street from the job and he was hiring several college students, which caused me to question why he was firing me which was why he said I was being fired for insubordination, for questioning why he was firing me in the first place.

Last edited by climategeek on 04 Dec 2018, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 7:56 pm

The only place where disclosure might be advantageous is within an IT environment, and when it is known that the "higher ups" are on the Spectrum.

Or when you know that the company is seeking to hire people with disabilities. There are companies like that.

Otherwise, one really shouldn't disclose. Especially in an environment like a restaurant or retail place. Both are not exactly bastions of toleration.

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2018, 8:03 pm

I was very productive and in fact I was actually more productive than the other employees oh, so I wasn't shocked at all that I got fired after disclosing my condition, but the others were shocked and I told them before I was even fired that I bet I'm not even though the last one day in this place because I already told the manager of my disability and I'm pretty sure he's going to fire. after I told my co-workers that they told me don't even say something like that because they knew him for a long time and that he would never do something like that and they've had people with disabilities who worked here before.

I told him I hope you're right because if your not I'm probably going to be canned before the week is out. I was let go the next day after telling my co-workers that I'm probably going to be fired for disclosing.

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2018, 8:06 pm

Also the agency that promised they were going to get me a job, what's the saying agency why I could not get hired. they told me that they were going to get me a job at stop & shop, but I was so sure that they were not going to do anything that I decided to get a job on my own. Just as I expected and they didn't get me a job at stop and shop and then they told me that it was because I was so negative why they stopped inquiring about the job.

they tried to make it look like it's my fault because they failed in their jobs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

Just try for another job---on your own.

And don't disclose next time.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 8:31 pm

Human Resources departments exist not to help employees but to find a way for the company to hire and fire whom they damn please without putting the company in legal jeopardy and for the least amount of money.

Most applications have a checkbox for "Do you have a disability". If you do not check that box.and have not posted on social media about being autistic there are little chance potential employers will find out.

If you do not disclose and are hired you will be treated like an NT, judged and possibly fired for not being properly social.

As you have found out if you disclose you probably not be hired even though it is supposed to be illegal to discriminate. I assume the jobs like GameStop and a restaurant require a lot of customer interaction and they certainly require dealing with a lot of noise so they can probably successfully argue it is not discrimination not to hire you because you do not meet the job requirements. So you need to apply for autistic friendly positions which are difficult to find.

If you decide to not disclose during the hiring process don't ever again disclose afterward, they have you cold for lying on the resume/application.

Get a new job coach. He is supposed to be working for you, he is not your parent or employer.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ixpnet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm

I empathise, spent 18 years to fighting interviews turn down or in job discrimination or a lack of understanding. Luckily I have seen “internal” crap sent by NTs. Developed strategic ways to deal with discrimination by only declaring I have Aspergers but I have managed to intergrate socially for 18 years. I am now a member of SMT who advocates support and openness. If NT the trial by fire to SMT would of been 10 years.

It’s a shame the USA does not folllow the option to disclose to Occupation health or HR only option. Here the UK operates a scheme to encourage disclosure.

If your scared of disclosure, only tell the HR department on the form and ensure they do not openly discuss this with your manager by a follow up call. If a manager enquires, HR are obviously compelled to keep personal information secret and will tell the Manager to accept. Under USA law, if fired the employer is liable for discrimination. Often the employers hopes the employee doesn’t know their rights. You can play this card if a whisper of discrimination is raised might keep them at bay. The only problem is capability or performance reviews can be used to work you out the back door.

The uk was like this until 2010 equality act. Now most applications remove disability from disclosure form so management and HR ignore issues arise or ask the manager to accommodate at least at interviews.

Unfortunately Aspergers is seen as mental health condition not neurological by employers. Until UN definition is adapted to law we will have to continue to fight. Maybe try a aspie friendly recruitment company or state that you manage your condition yourself and have plenty of experience dealing with the wider world on the form. Positive disclosure.

Ixpnet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

Ultimately the manager or company doesn’t want the hassle to deal with “minor” problems a employee may produce. Profit before the individual. But you can play on this but advertising your positive skills. Attention to detail, willingly learn and ability to output perform peers given time. Aka sell yourself or demonstrate a “want” for the job.

Want is a performance and social energy and management picks up on this. Give them 3 months of dedication and you can change opinion on Aspergers. Hope this helps.