Ways to make exercise more interesting

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2018, 2:25 am

Anyone know any interesting ways to exercise?
Like, the only active thing I actually like is walking, because you could admire nature and see nice places. I also love one on one sports, like tennis or ping pong, but not many people play them in my area and it's not always at a comfortable time...
Walking sometimes gives me joint pains in the feet and temperature sensitivities, and when it does and I want to exercise, I can never find an interesting replacement :(

enz
Veteran
Veteran

Oafin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

I 3 dogs, I feel it is my responsibility to walk them but 2 are quite old and walk very slow. So I devise a way to get more exercise walking old dogs. I stop at every lamp post and try to push it over, then I stop at every signpost and try to pull it over. I also started sort of running in place as I move slowly with the old dogs, I call it a Slow Dog Jog.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2019, 2:37 pm

I recently found I like stretching and sometimes resistance exercises, but sometimes I kinda want to write/read at the same time. If only we had the skills of doing something intellectual or productive while being physically active!
Usually, when I want to exercise, I spend hours or most of the day only on that (usually not that hard exercises, though).
Does anyone else find balancing physical activity and mental activity challenging?

The 42nd Doctor
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2019, 12:54 am

I like going out to run around my neighbourhood at 6 am when it’s still dark and the streets are still empty. I don’t know how your joints respond to running, but if you are comfortably capable of it, maybe give it a try? I personally like listening to music while I work out, but since you want to have something more intellectually stimulating, perhaps you could listen to an interesting podcast meanwhile.

If running isn’t your thing, and you said you want a more “interesting” way to exersice, I’ll suggest an app for you called CARROT Fit. It costs money (I think it’s $3 or $4, and the extra pack of excercices costs another dollar), but in my opinion, it’s pretty worthwhile as I find it interesting enough to keep me motivated to use the app to work out often. It basically makes you do a dozen different exercises with silly names (often referencing pop culture) for several seconds and having a few seconds of rest time in between for a total of seven minutes. While you work out, your “trainer”, who is a snarky robot who I like to imagine is GLaDOS from Portal sometimes, gives you “encouragement” and humorous commentary. You can track your weight and if you lose/gain/maintain your weight (depending on your goal, which you input into the app), she “rewards you” (I’m not sure if she ever offers you cake, and if she does, I’m willing to bet that the cake is a lie :D ). This probably all sounds like an add for them or like I’m sponsoring them or something, but I honestly really like this app and it’s done a good job at keeping me interested enough to not abandon after several months of using it now.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 7:32 am

I changed my routine to where I do 25 reps of something on a machine, the first few are as much weight as I can handle, then I taper off until I reach 25. Then I go do 25 reps of something else.
For cardio, I do really heavy intervals (for a minute), then I turn the settings down and catch my breath for a couple of minutes. The longest I can keep that up is 12 minutes.
It might not sound very interesting, but it cuts to the chase and it's very easy to keep track of.

I sometimes pretend I'm really doing something else when I'm exercising, I imagine that I'm a prisoner being forced to to lift a log backwards with my legs, a rower on a viking ship, or just blocking an attack over and over again.