I used to be but now I am not 42%  42%  [ 10 ]
I was not before but I am now 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I was never over confident 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 24

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2018, 1:52 pm

have you ever been overconfident of yourself? I used to be like that as a child but bullying made me self conscious.

Last edited by KingExplosionMurder on 06 Dec 2018, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2018, 2:00 pm

I voted that I used to be am not now, but really my confidence waxes and wanes. How about you? Do you sometimes get over confident?

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2018, 2:03 pm

Arevelion wrote:
I voted that I used to be am not now, but really my confidence waxes and wanes. How about you? Do you sometimes get over confident?

It depends, I think I'm currently at a state of indifference. Not feeling bad about myself or what others think, but not thinking too highly of myself, either. Of course I have my moments where I am very confident, and very self conscious. So yes, I'd say it fluctuates from time to time.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2018, 2:09 pm

KingExplosionMurder wrote:
Arevelion wrote:

It depends, I think I'm currently at a state of indifference. Not feeling bad about myself or what others think, but not thinking too highly of myself, either. Of course I have my moments where I am very confident, and very self conscious. So yes, I'd say it fluctuates from time to time.

It's what I would expect from us autistic people. One thing that moves me more to the self-concious side these days is all the times I hurt myself being overconfident. When I get that way I tend to plow over everything in my way. I also invest too much money and loose it

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2018, 3:30 pm

I answered that I used to be but am not now. But I wonder if I am, in hindsight, just thinking of occasional, exceptional moments in my past when I seemed to have excessive confidence. I suspect that there may have been many more occasions in the past when I lacked confidence, that maybe I have forgotten about or suppressed in my mind.

By the way, I can't resist making a little observation about your poll, which illustrates rather nicely why I, for one, often have difficulties filling in forms. I was puzzling for quite a while over your option number 2, "I am not/I am self-conscious." To me the "I am not/I am" part of this option read like a yes/no choice, and I was puzzled how clicking or not clicking the button would signify whether I wanted to answer "I am not self-confident" or else "I am self-confident" I realised eventually that the entire phrase after the "/" was intended an explanatory amplification of the reason for responding affirmatively to the "I am not" (implicitly referring to the "overconfident" alluded to in the title of the thread) that precedes the "/".

I rarely find a form that I fully understand!

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2018, 5:27 pm

strings wrote:
I answered that I used to be but am not now. But I wonder if I am, in hindsight, just thinking of occasional, exceptional moments in my past when I seemed to have excessive confidence. I suspect that there may have been many more occasions in the past when I lacked confidence, that maybe I have forgotten about or suppressed in my mind.

By the way, I can't resist making a little observation about your poll, which illustrates rather nicely why I, for one, often have difficulties filling in forms. I was puzzling for quite a while over your option number 2, "I am not/I am self-conscious." To me the "I am not/I am" part of this option read like a yes/no choice, and I was puzzled how clicking or not clicking the button would signify whether I wanted to answer "I am not self-confident" or else "I am self-confident" I realised eventually that the entire phrase after the "/" was intended an explanatory amplification of the reason for responding affirmatively to the "I am not" (implicitly referring to the "overconfident" alluded to in the title of the thread) that precedes the "/".

I rarely find a form that I fully understand!

Haha, sorry! I read over it when writing it and it seemed a bit off but I couldn’t figure out a way to re-word myself. But to clear up any confusion, it meant that you are not overconfident as in a neutral or you’re self conscious. I hope that cleared things up!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 7:17 pm

I'm likely shameless and ignoring/ignorant of consequences, than just overconfident.

Likely would rather charge head-on so I could be done with it and things would be done, than highly self assured.

Very likely fatalistic like and curious of outcomes, than smug and 'knowing'.

Sometimes I do get overconfident and know it, sometimes I do get overconfident and NOT know it. But I'd more likely know if I end up being more self-conscious.

Then there's like... Able to ignore or be immune to psyche strategies half the time, than being more or less confident via past experiences, current situation, or whatever external actions done by others from cheers to intimidation. Being true neutral so to speak.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2018, 9:16 pm

I was overconfident at times when I was suffering a psychotic depression. In general thou, I tend to be less confident & was that way most of my life. I have Learned Helplessness from trying & s#cking with lots of things in my life. I'm not sure how to vote in this poll.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 6:17 am

I don't think I'm "over" confident, just regularly confident. :) It comes and goes. I think even the most confident people don't feel so sure sometimes. I just spent a lot of time tonight whining to three different people about my final exams. I was fretting about not being able to get A+ grades for all the courses I took. :o I wish one of them would give me a whack and tell me to cut it out actually, but they were all too nice.

I think only people under the influence of substance or have psychosis (or super religious) can be over-confident. You have to feel that you can do no wrong. That's pretty hard to achieve in a real life.

*You're so young still. I'm sure you'll get it back. Going to college will probably be very good for you. :)

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2018, 1:19 pm

KingExplosionMurder wrote:
Haha, sorry! I read over it when writing it and it seemed a bit off but I couldn’t figure out a way to re-word myself. But to clear up any confusion, it meant that you are not overconfident as in a neutral or you’re self conscious. I hope that cleared things up!

No problem - it just made me chuckle a bit. And I just realised I managed to make a complete dog's breakfast of my attempt at saying what my confusion was in my previous post, by saying "self-confident" when I meant to say "self-conscious"! I make that kind of mistake all the time. Haha!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 10:32 am

I am only confident about things I have already studied and remember. I am not so confident with new things but, if I have a passion for something, I am able to learn it.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 12:12 pm

The few times I've felt overconfident and self-assured, someone usually tried to knock me down a peg. I think NTs are competitive and hierarchical to the point that they'll attack someone of lesser social standing displaying such self-confidence.

No, I wasn't acting like a jerk. I'm saying when someone who hasn't been given group permission to be secure in their confidence suddenly seems confident, someone will try to knock them down. I've seen this behavior as an outside observer, too.