Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 3:15 pm

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/201 ... yers-not/#

You might be surprised: Janitors, the study found, are happiest at work because they can control their workday, and they can see immediately how they are helping people. Lawyers, by contrast, are the most universally unhappy because they have little control over their hours, and they are generally dealing with people who hate that they have to hire a lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ34LlaIk88
Taylor Swift Ours see 00:12, 2:52

What do you think?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 4:36 pm

Maybe happy people often choose to become janitors instead of lawyers

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 4:47 pm

I have a brother in law who is a custodian of a church and school and he's very happy with his work. He's had years of experience prior to that doing similar types of work but for a property management company. With that work he was responsible for unclogging a lot more toilets in tenant's apartments and he liked that much less than his current job.

I wouldn't like cleaning up other people's bodily fluids, feces and vomit. I guess no one probably "likes" that kind of work, but I don't know if I could do it. That kind of stuff makes my stomach "flip flop".

Another down side is that janitorial cleaning today often includes using a lot of industrial chemicals, solvents, etc. I'm very sensitive to things like that.

I could see really enjoying most aspects of after hours office building cleaning, at least the solitary aspects.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 5:22 pm

the place where I work at the cleaners get paid reasonably well due to unsociable hours and they all know each other and are friendly. also, they don't have to deal with the public and clean listening to music and taking as many breaks necessary so long as they finish the job. it doesnt seem like the worst job in the world but obviously there are big downsides too. they have told me they like the job for these reasons.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm

I've done custodial stuff in retail, I worked while the stores were open. I liked the job when I was left alone by management. After I started getting pulled off a lot & having management on my back about things as well as getting conflicting orders, it was time for me to quit.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 10:52 pm

If lawyers are so unhappy, why aren't they lining up for janitor jobs?

It seems obvious to me that intellect and aptitude differ, in general, between lawyers and janitors. One size doesn't fit all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 11:05 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
They want/need the money. My dad works in construction & has worked on lots of lawyer houses. They're huge compared to my parents' one. They're almost like mansions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 8:44 am

The pay for janitors usually sucks----unless they're in a good union.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 9:24 am

money doesn't equal happiness

Money may get you the big house and trophy wife, but maybe the janitor is happier with what he has?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 1:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The pay for janitors usually sucks----unless they're in a good union.
That's true. I was only making $8 an hour towards the end of my 2nd job & at the start of my 3rd.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 1:34 pm

Did you get jerked around on the hours you work like the often do for part timers working retail? Some retail stores change your hours at the last moment.

Routine is very important to many Aspies so regular hours may be a must.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 1:38 pm

I know of a retired engineer who took a job as the janitor in a high school sports department.

He had retired early and the janitor job provided him with medical insurance. Also, he loved sports and enjoyed watching the sports while he was getting paid to be here in case he needed to clean something during the event.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 1:56 pm

BTDT wrote:
Did you get jerked around on the hours you work like the often do for part timers working retail? Some retail stores change your hours at the last moment.

Routine is very important to many Aspies so regular hours may be a must.
My supervisor kept changing my days off at my 2nd job & times I would come in(only one hour difference thou) until I talked to him about it. Then he gave me set days off but I worked extra when I was allowed to. I'd stay about an hour & a half longer & come in of off days if I felt like the job needed me to. That was voluntary. My 3rd job changed my hours & days every week but I at least got my schedule for the week at least half a week early so I had alittle time to plan things.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 2:10 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

It seems obvious to me that intellect and aptitude differ, in general, between lawyers and janitors. One size doesn't fit all.

Yeah but if you don't have the mental aptitude to be a lawyer or to work in an average office. You don't like working with other people. You hate customer service. A cleaning job would be a stress free income.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 2:23 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

well, the place where I work the janitors are my age and students. it's like retail job but without the stress of dealing with people. I thought about joining them but im too squeamish.