"I can hear you over here," touches my buttons

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:22 am

Hi:
I don't know if this is the right place or not to post this but since it falls into social skills, I sometimes get too excited and talk loud. Though I appreciate feedback from other people letting me know that I need to keep my voice down, I cannot STAND it when someone throws in "I can hear you over here," it has always ticked me off. Look at get it, you tell me to keep my voice down because I am not dumb.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:27 am

Do they get in your face and scream at you?

Can everybody else in the room hear you talk?

Does it really bother you that much to be reminded that there are other people in the world, and that they do no appreciate being rudely bombarded with someone else's conversation?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:40 am

Fnord wrote:

Does it really bother you that much to be reminded that there are other people in the world, and that they do no appreciate being rudely bombarded with someone else's conversation?

I don't mind being told to keep my voice down and I will accept but when people tell me "I am here you over here," "Other people can hear you," etc. I already get the hint and when people drag it out, it ticks me off.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

I thought NTs talk unnecessarily loud all the time. When I'm on the bus people often have a conversation so loud that the whole bus begins to know their life story.
But when an Aspie does it....
:roll:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 2:07 pm

I get it. Its like when people say, "you're welcome," when you are so preoccupied you forgot to say thank you.

Passive aggressiveness really pushes my buttons.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 5:24 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I get it. Its like when people say, "you're welcome," when you are so preoccupied you forgot to say thank you.

Passive aggressiveness really pushes my buttons.

@Hurtloam
You're welcome used to drive me batty as a little kid myself but as I got older I didn't mind.

@Joe90, I know it. People seem to think they can micromanage us and yet it's okay for them to do all these things we can't.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2018, 11:35 am

I can hardly resist an opportunity to push those buttons RIGHT back, my go-to response being "I can hear you too!" in the most deadpan way possible.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 1:20 pm

banana247 wrote:
I can hardly resist an opportunity to push those buttons RIGHT back, my go-to response being "I can hear you too!" in the most deadpan way possible.

I like comebacks as I have been trying to learn how to use them. Thanks Banana. :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 1:40 pm

I accepted the fact that I have minimal social skills around 50 years ago. But I found a good solution to this weakness. I married an extreme extrovert. She has all the social skills one would ever want. And I give her full reigns on correcting me anytime my actions break the social rules. Normally she does this with a quick jab to the ribs. So from my perspective - I do not need to learn social skills PERIOD. I only listen to my wife anytime she brings it to my attention.

She is doing a fine service for me. So I listen to her but not necessarily to any other criticism thrown my way. She has my back. The only other exception was my boss at work. I interpreted his by default as "constructive criticism".

As an Aspie, I have been bullied and psychologically abused for many years. As a result, I never accept criticism at face value. It is difficult to determine whether something said is in the spirit of destructive criticism or constructive criticism. That is why hearing something like "I can hear you over here" may automatically release a knee jerk reaction. But a knee jerk reaction can cascade into unintended consequences, especially if the person who made the critical remarks, made them for your own benefit, in the spirit of friendship. It is a way to burn bridges, really fast. It can destroy friendships, future potential friendships or just kind hearted souls.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:59 pm

Fnord wrote:

It's not intentional, dude. We just do what feels natural, and what is frusturating is that us aspies don't realize we've screwed something up until it's too late, because we're stripped of knowing a lot of social rules.