Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 10:43 pm

I have a way of cooking vegetables that some of you might like to try. I call it water frying.

You put a little bit of water in a frying pan, not too much, and add some spices and herbs. Then you put the pan on the top heat until the water is boiling and add your chopped vegetables and cook them on full heat for 2-5 minutes.

This is healthier than oil frying because there's less fat and the spices and herbs add some flavour. It also tastes better than boiled vegetables because all the water gets absorbed so the vegetables aren't soggy. Since the water is reabsorbed into the vegetables you lose less nutrients too - something that happens when you boil vegetables, i. e. the water contains much of the nutrition after cooking.

It's an acquired taste but I've got used to it and feel lighter than when I eat food fried in oil.

I bet some of you already do it, don't you? :P

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 8:20 am

I like to do that with fish, particularly hoki. Gentle shallow fry in water until it begins to flake apart. Leave it to sit on a paper napkin on a plate for a couple of mins and shake a bit of brown pepper over the top. Delish.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:02 am

braising (n): to prepare food by first browning or searing (sometimes in fat), and then simmering in a water-based liquid.

I discovered this method while preparing pork chops. Brown them first on high heat, then cover them with salsa and let simmer on medium-low heat until the salsa thickens.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:10 am

Fat tastes good but adds calories. When I learned to cook I started adding fat, salt and sugar to make things taste good. My weight actually dropped because I overcompensated in making the portions too small. (-25%) 8O Lab tests look great. My doctor has no issues with what I'm eating. :D

If you cook a small portion and eat all of it I think the psychology is much different that being given a huge portion in a restaurant and somehow only eating half of it.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:30 am

Eurythmic wrote:
I like to do that with fish, particularly hoki. Gentle shallow fry in water until it begins to flake apart. Leave it to sit on a paper napkin on a plate for a couple of mins and shake a bit of brown pepper over the top. Delish.

I will have to try that. That sounds amazing.

Fnord wrote:
braising (n): to prepare food by first browning or searing (sometimes in fat), and then simmering in a water-based liquid.

I discovered this method while preparing pork chops. Brown them first on high heat, then cover them with salsa and let simmer on medium-low heat until the salsa thickens.

That sounds yummy. I usually only cook meat in stews. No idea how to add flavour to it generally. I'll give that a try.

BTDT wrote:
Fat tastes good but adds calories. When I learned to cook I started adding fat, salt and sugar to make things taste good. My weight actually dropped because I overcompensated in making the portions too small. (-25%) 8O Lab tests look great. My doctor has no issues with what I'm eating. :D

If your body can get away with it, why not? :)

What would a portion size of a meal high in fat, salt and sugar be like for you?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:35 am

Typically 3 to 6 ounces of meat. 2 ounces of pasta or half a cup of rice. As much salad or leafy greens as I feel like eating.

I'll add a tablespoon of sugar, soy sauce, and mirin to two eggs for breakfast. And sometimes roll in a piece of Nori.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:45 am

You have admirable self-control. I would usually have twice as much pasta as that. I like the idea of it. You've inspired me.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 3:36 pm

Your water frying sounds like steaming, to me. Only difference is the use of spices prior to adding the vegetables.

I like to steam vegetables in the microwave, too. I typically cover and cook 4 min on 50% power, stir, and repeat. Depends how large a quantity you make, of course. It takes a little practice to not overcook.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 4:11 pm

I don't get why people are willing to deny themselves all of the comforts that make like bearable just to add a few extra years to their carcass. I love fat, butter, grease, red meat and fortified wines and could never tolerate anything less.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

I do eat most of the foods I enjoy, just in moderation.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 4:43 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Your water frying sounds like steaming, to me. Only difference is the use of spices prior to adding the vegetables.

I like to steam vegetables in the microwave, too. I typically cover and cook 4 min on 50% power, stir, and repeat. Depends how large a quantity you make, of course. It takes a little practice to not overcook.

Ah you are even healthier than me in that respect then. Steaming the veg means you don't overcook the bottom as my method can do due to the boiling water.

Prometheus18 wrote:
I don't get why people are willing to deny themselves all of the comforts that make like bearable just to add a few extra years to their carcass. I love fat, butter, grease, red meat and fortified wines and could never tolerate anything less.

It's not about adding a few years to my life expectancy. I believe having less fat and grease benefits mental health. I read somewhere that fats and oils make the blood vessels more clogged. Blood provides oxygen to the brain and so if I understand the theory correctly smoother blood flow should mean a more relaxed and well-fuelled brain.

There are people like Stephen Fry who are confident, cheerful people despite being unhealthy. If I was like them I'd probably not bother either.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 6:07 pm

Quote:
It's not about adding a few years to my life expectancy. I believe having less fat and grease benefits mental health. I read somewhere that fats and oils make the blood vessels more clogged. Blood provides oxygen to the brain and so if I understand the theory correctly smoother blood flow should mean a more relaxed and well-fuelled brain.

Generally things that add life expectancy also add good health, and vice versa.

I would agree that animal fat can clog the arteries, but supposedly "healthy" oils such as olive oil reverse that effect. I do use olive oil much more lately than I ever used to. I use butter as a spread, or occasionally as a flavoring on a vegetable, but try not to saute in it very often.