Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 3:50 pm

Anyone else, due to extreme frustration with it, feel completely worthless while doing math?
I never feel worse than when I am doing it and it doesn't help that my mom doesn't think I'm trying. In reality it makes no sense to me at all, and I really cannot retain any of it.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 4:08 pm

Many Aspies think in terms of pictures and need a visual approach to math. Or something else. Some say they see colors. You may need to find another approach to learning math. I know more math than most of the folks in the building and I often draw pictures to better understand the problem.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 4:36 pm

You're not alone. I think in pictures and never thought that that may have played a part in my difficulties with math.

My greatest difficulty in excelling with math happened in fourth grade. Up until that point I received top grades in math. Then one day, our teacher said that starting the next day, she would begin to teach us the hardest thing we'd ever learn in math: story problems.

I took her literally and started to fret that very moment and wondered how children in fourth grade could be expected to learn "the hardest" math concepts we'd "ever" learn in our lives. I didn't sleep much that night and was nearly worried sick about it. What if I couldn't understand the "hardest thing we'd ever learn" in math? I had a hard time with math after that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 4:45 pm

I'm worryingly crap at maths but it doesn't bother me. I spend my life focusing more on my social skills. Math is the least of my worries.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 5:00 pm

I was diagnosed with ADD & Dyscalculia as a very young child, and the repetitive failure (and bullying by other children and emotional abuse of some teachers) was a real mindf**k that haunted me from elementary school all the way through graduate school. You are not worthless; base your sense of self-worth on how you treat others, as a good and gentle person. Hateful self-centered and cruel people are worthless; not you.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 5:07 pm

Arganger wrote:
Anyone else, due to extreme frustration with it, feel completely worthless while doing math?

Math is just a logical thing and nothing that you have to feel for. For this you have to stop your feelings and to start to use your brain for understanding it. If you don't understand something ask one of your friends who did. May be that he can explain it to you much better than your teacher did. :)

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2018, 5:47 pm

I wouldn't say that my poor math skills have made me feel worthless, but I have struggled with the subject since middle school. The worst part is that it used to be my best subject, way back in elementary school. Back then, it was purely memorization-based, so it didn't matter whether I understood it or not. Pre-algebra really knocked me off my feet, though. I ended up taking two years to complete Algebra 1 in high school, but was able to complete Algebra 2 in a single school-year. And then there was Geometry. :x

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2018, 6:02 pm

You are definitely NOT worthless!! !! !!

I always hated math barely making passing grades. Couldn't wait to get out of high school and into college where math would be optional. I got laughed at when I started studying computer technology because of my math inadequacies. I built a long and successful career around computer technologies. Math is universal and fascinating like the golden ratios and fractal geometry, but you do not have to love or enjoy it to appreciate it. Hating math does not make you worthless, you have value.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2018, 6:34 pm

Math does that to a lot of people, especially in the higher grades. Things like Calculus. I still don't get it, and I was good in math until then.

I don't think I've ever used it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 7:38 pm

My concerns would be processing that may involve math, but not math itself. :| It's not the numbers or the steps involved that would worry me, it's something else... Something more crucial and from the background to do the process instead of the process of math themselves.

There are three things that held me back from being good at math, which happened to some of my biggest weakness overall.

Words which is obvious. I would've liked math more if it weren't for this to involve a little too much.

The lack of detailed explanations.
Showing examples, but never explaining the next step involves addition or multiplication, or some hidden formula during that process other than popping that number out of nowhere. :x

Then short term and working memory. In which why I have to rely on visuals and cues more than I should. I'm dead frustrated of this actually, more than anything else.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:16 pm

Talk. To a psychologist about dyscalulia

Tutoring

Your value as a human being is not proportional to your math skills

Nobody is good at everything

Plenty of people are not good at math, but they do not all act like they think they are "worthless"

People that are good at math are not more valuable, than people that are bad at math

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

I cannot until at the earliest February get diagnosed with any learning disabilities. I initially wasn't, I suspect due to the ODD though it was mentioned that I probably did have them.

Being in my senior year and still in algebra one, which I've been in since I think seventh grade and still not getting it has been very frustrating.

I don't know exactly what is going on, but here are some of the problems I have noticed with it;

I have trouble remembering several steps at a time, this also appears as an issue in other things, like basic chores, and in other classes when trying to do more open ended assignments.
I get fatigued fast sensory wise, if I read the information it starts to blur out and I miss information, if I hear it the same thing happens. I try to do both but even then I feel like I miss a lot of it.
Even with basic math (Addition, subtraction and what not) if I don't have it memorized I have to work at it and am known to make really simple mistakes
At this point the anxiety about it is strong enough that it often gets to me before the actual problems. I have had, more than I like to admit, a few panic attacks doing math.

I've been trying to get a tutor for a while but it keeps falling through, and I need a patient tutor because it takes me a while, and I shut down quick.

I keep remembering I have another semester of geometry to get done with and a years worth of consumer math before I graduate, and that scares me. I plan to work over the summer, because what at this point my goal is is to finish by the end of first semester of next year, but I worry that it could take me much longer than that.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 10:06 pm

I'm not great at math, terrible at word problems involving math. Calculus was the first class and only class I ever failed at. I have a genetic bone and neurological disease that causes a great deal of brain fog which makes it all the more difficult to solve math problems. I don't feel worthless over it anymore though, but I certainly did at the time when I was your age and failed my calculus class.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Dec 2018, 10:10 pm

I s#ck with math compared to most due to dyslexia, dyscalculia, & dysgraphia but to be fair I s#cked at most subjects. I only passed Algebra 1 cuz the teacher curved my grade. I failed every single test except I Aced a group project cuz the other two did all the work. The odd thing is that I did OK with Practical Geometry & I did pretty well with Business Math but the ladder didn't count as a math credit. Business Math was more practical stuff that you would use after high-skewl in the real-world. I needed a calculator to do most any of it thou. I also Aced General Business but that was also another practical course you would use in real-life. I NEVER had any desire to go to college due to all my struggles with skewl & I would of dropped out if my parents would of let me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 11:18 pm

Some of my former precious lil "friends" , claimed that they were bad at math, but they do not act like they feel "worthless"

Confidence does not have to be proportional to competence

:mrgreen:

Plenty of jobs do not involve too much math

Plenty of successful people are bad at math

Someone told me that he was a community college tenured math instructor. Then Oracle software engineer. Then his whole division got laid off.

He had to work at trader Joe's as a cashier. Then Sylvan learning center as math tutor. Both jobs, barely minimum wage.

So, whatever

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 6:34 am

Don't worry. You will not need a lot of math skill in most jobs. And you'll be allowed to use your calculator or your phone once you're out of high school. :) The schools here don't even bother teaching handwriting any more because of technology. They've gone "paperless". Math might be going the same way. It's always good to be well educated of course, but it likely won't hinder you very much.