Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 9:31 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^ ta dum dum [*rimshot*]

I have a book in my possession since the 1970s, it is "a dictionary of southern speak in Jimmy Carter's America." in it, is this gem about how northerners and southerners talk differently from one another, one example given is the word "smear" which in its northern definition is a stain spread by friction- and in its southern definition is one's organ of hearing: "what's that undah mah hay-ur? whah, that's SMEAR!" :mrgreen:

^ I'm glad it was funny. I made it up actually. :lol: I never heard "smear" but I do pronounce hair like "hay-ur" and oil like "oi-yul". :P Also do they by chance have "grits" where you live? :wink:

they had 'em in the army when I was stationed there [in northern VA and San Antonio TX and Ft. Lewis WA] I knew a Georgia peach who said "oh-wul." :o

Yeah grits are very common here served with eggs, toast, and bacon and I heard up north they don't really have it.
I think plain grits are bland. I prefer them with melted cheese. :chef: I'm all out of jokes about where I live. Sorry. :lol:

the army bases here have plenty o'grits for servicemembers to eat. I liked mine with the army's secret spice, which contained red pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, hydrolyzed veggie protein [MSG], with a bit of salt and butter and mixed in with the SOS. you know what SOS is, right? :)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 9:37 pm

I live in a very nice place. Nothing to joke about here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 10:00 pm

"almost live" was a locally produced tv comedy sketch program devoted to the foibles of us north- westerners.