Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scribble hero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2018, 6:44 pm

Hi, im a male in my early teens. Over the past 3-4 months i’ve been experiencing tics. They have gotten progressively worse over time. These tics include violently closing my eyes and turning my head rapidly. I have noticed that they occur a lot during meltdowns. I’m very curious as to if the two could be connected in any way? I should also mention that I CAN actually stop the tics. Like it is possible for me to not do it for most of the day, but then I get these fits where I will just sit, and do nothing else. It is harder for me to stop the tics if I am stressed or having to concentrate. The tics do not hurt, they just kinda get in the way. I’m sure people notice, and I feel it is further expanding the gap between me and my peers, which i honestly don’t mind. What I do mind however, is when my dad is explaining me something and I can’t pay attention, due to this distraction. I love explanations and knowledge, and would really appreciate it if some of you would be able to help me out :). Sorry for the length of this, thank you for reading it through.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 7:10 pm

When we are young many of us have tics. It is a very natural way of relieving stress. But as we grow older we are told that these tics are no longer a socially acceptable option, so generally by the time we begin school many of us have contained most tics or transitioned them to more socially acceptable tics or tics that are almost invisible. Sometimes we hold our tics until we are alone to release them and vent the stress.

The problem is that as we grow, Aspies endure a high degree of stress. For males this peaks around the Junior High School years. For female Aspies this generally peaks in the High School years. Much of this is caused by name-calling and bullying by our peer group. When that happens our tics begin to come back. Also we begin to experience major meltdowns.

The best approach is to learn ways of venting stress and in managing stress.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Dec 2018, 12:41 am

Are you on any medication for your Aspergers or other mental issues :?: Lots of psych meds can cause tics. I had them when I was on the antipsychotic Geodon. There are meds that can help relieve tics. I'd talk to a doc about em.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2018, 12:13 pm

Who knows? I get tics occasionally too. In general they're not bad... until I start to realise that I'm doing it. I once watched a video regarding someone describing their tics, and what do you know, it caused the onset of a whole bunch of tics.

No, I don't take any medications at all.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 9:32 pm

Have you also experienced vocal tics at all? Are the tics what you would call "involuntary" or are they rhythmic, intentional movements used to deal with stress? Some people may get autistic stereotypies, or self-stimulatory behaviors, confused with tics, but they are quite different. Based on your description, it sounds like what you are experiencing could likely be tics, but nobody can diagnose over the internet. Like you, I started experiencing tics at the age of 13, and they have continued until now, albeit with periods of remission and exacerbation (I also have ASD and tics/possibly Tourette's syndrome). This could be related to your ASD, and there have been studies done that link genetic mutations (such as CNTN6) to both ASD and tics (https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-08- ... ldren.html). If you are curious about the suspected mechanisms behind each, autism is thought to be caused by over connectivity between certain parts of the brain (lack of synaptic pruning), while tics are thought to be caused by excess dopamine (reward chemical) in the nigrostriatal pathway in the brain, which leads to unintentional, non-rhythmic movements.

Even if it turns out you do have something like Tourette's syndrome, it isn't something to worry about, and while tics typically begin before the age of 18, they often worsen with stress but improve with age. If they are really interfering with your life, then you could see a neuropsychologist or psychiatrist to find out what is going on for sure, but there are not a lot of treatments available for tics, and the ones that are available are usually reserved for severe cases because of the side effects that go along with them. In my experience, the more I work to lessen my stress, the fewer tics I have overall. Personally, I have not endured a particularly bad bout of tics for a while, which I put down to having less free time and stress.

Here are some more resources if you are curious:

https://tourette.org/about-tourette/ove ... -tourette/

https://www.movementdisorders.org/MDS/A ... ndrome.htm

http://www.patsainc.org/getattachment/b ... f-TS!.aspx

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 9:46 pm

Hi Stampy. I bet you’re doing really well in school.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi Stampy. I bet you’re doing really well in school.

Hi kraftie!

I am doing pretty well, but I am super busy. I just got off for holiday break, and this is the first opportunity I have had for free time in a while.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:10 pm

Doing lots of music?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Doing lots of music?

Oh yeah. I am still playing the violin, but I also joined marching band and I play the mellophone, which is like a marching French Horn (I am also playing French Horn in concert band as well). We are actually going on a trip next week for 5 days, which I am really looking forward to. I also joined jazz band, and I am playing the trumpet since it has the same technique as the mellophone. I am really enjoying it, and I get along well with all of the people there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:24 pm

You’re probably averaging 97, or thereabouts,

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You’re probably averaging 97, or thereabouts,

Still not in math lol! I seem to be even worse at Geometry than Algebra. Most of my grades aren't that high anyway! :)

Scribble hero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2019, 2:34 pm

Hi Stampy!

Thank you so much for the reply, I’ll definitely check out these sources. (Also may I just add, Jesús Christ, you’re a literal genius. 15, damn impressive :P )

Scribble hero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2019, 2:38 pm

Dear Nick,

Hi! No I am not on any medication whatsoever. I think I will visit a doctor, if the tics get worse. Than you :)

Scribble hero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2019, 2:43 pm

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for your reply. I really hope it is just stress. I was wondering if you have any tips or recommendations as to how I could “vent” the stress in other ways? Thank you.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 11:53 pm

Scribble hero wrote:
Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for your reply. I really hope it is just stress. I was wondering if you have any tips or recommendations as to how I could “vent” the stress in other ways? Thank you.

Scribble hero

Generally when you think of your brain, you visualize the human brain as a whole but in reality it is composed of several brains that are wired together. They are like layers of an onion. Stress targets each of these layers differently and also causes different negative traits or disorders. The inner core is similar to an infant’s brain The middle Limbic Region of the brain controls the arms and legs. When it undergoes a major threat, it produces a fight or flight response. The outer layer is the social brain.

When an individual is threatened, the overload of stress will cause the brain to collapse inward. If the social brain cannot eliminate the stress, then the body turns it over to the middle layer. But if an individual is unable to defend itself or escape, then it collapses into the core brain. This is what takes place in a melt down or panic attack. In a bad panic attack the individual loses their ability to even talk. They are unable to move.

Stress is multilayered. It is also cumulative. If the body endures too much stress it can transform into distress.

So how do you vent stress. So let me describe the middle layer. When you are threatened, you might try to flee the threat or attack the threat. If you are unable to do either then you are trapped. You body releases a variety of chemical into your body for a fight/flight response. But if you are trapped that means these chemicals are not used up but rather stored in your nervous system and muscles. They need to be vented otherwise they will over time damage your body.

So let me begin by saying that instead of four limbs (2 arms & 2 legs), you really have five. The fifth is your neck. Exercise can vent some stress. But there is a secret here. Generally the stress relieved from exercise only last for a short time - minutes. But only a certain type of exercise called maximal or supramaximal exercise can purge the stress deeply and completely for long periods of time (hours, days and weeks). This stress release emulates the actual stress of the encounter. If your inhibited reaction to a threat was to run away and you didn’t, then you need to run as fast as the wind with a tiger chasing you at your heals.

So to vent the stress from your legs long-term then do ten 6-second maximal sprints (around a 50-meter dash, running like a bat out of hell) with a 30 second recovery between each sprint.

To vent the stress from your arms, then attack a punching bag or boxing speed bag for 6 seconds moving your arms so fast they become a blur. Then rest for 30 seconds and repeat this ten times. You do not need to exert great force when you contact the bag, speed is what matters.

To vent stress from the neck, you need to scream at the top of your lungs several times. But you must do this in a socially acceptable manner. Do not scream at a person. I live in the country and my dog is a free-range dog. When it is mealtime, I call my dog, very loudly. My voice carries about a mile and echoes back to me from nearby hills. It gives me a sense of great strength, like I could split a mountain in two just with my voice alone. You might try howling like a wolf at the moon. There is a person on this site that howls at the subway cars as they pass by deep down in the subway stations in New York City. But there are other ways to scream in a socially acceptable manner. A singer can do this if it is a very powerful song. A barker in the county fair can do this. Or find yourself a soundproof room.

kaylaweather
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2019, 10:04 pm

Hi

I am new here and have autism. But, I also have tourette syndrome and generalized anxiety which makes my tics worse. When I have tics I can have eye blinking for 15-20 minutes or at different times through out the day. I also have tics when hand shakes or my head nods forward. The tics are always changing. I also clear my throat often which is a vocal tic. To have tourette syndrome you need to have at least 1 vocal tic along with movement tics. They started when I was diagnosised with autism at 3. They went almost completely away when I was 18, but now have returned. Stress makes them worse. They are also not controllable for me and have been difficult for me to be out in public social settings. I am on medication for my anxiety and it has helped. Recently I was put on another medication to help with my tics.

I would check out information on tics and tourette syndrome.

Kayla