Am I the only one with a really bad feeling about the world?

Page 1 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:06 am

I just can't shake this feeling that something really horrible is going to happen soon with the bad economy and all this tension in the world, and I fear that I'm going to end up dead from it.

I can't even talk about it because everybody treats me like I'm being crazy and say I have nothing to worry about, but I feel like we are headed for a third World War or something similar.

I really am scared of this happening because I get the feeling that somehow I won't survive it. :(

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:24 am

I was really worried about WWIII earlier this year when my anxiety levels were off the scale, I've tipped over into a dark depression now so I'm just feeling defeated and resigned to whatever happens, but I'm not exactly right underneath a target area in terms of a nuclear strike, so death wouldn't be instant, I'm not going to be vaporized in a split second, I'm probably looking at being buried alive under rubble and or being burned to death.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:47 am

I hope that the idiots who decide it's a good idea to blow the world up get exactly what they deserve: a slow, painful death and a special spot in hell reserved just for them (if there even is a hell).

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:54 am

I felt this way a lot in the recent past, TW1ZTY. Especially in 2006, when I feel I started seeing more articles about climate change. I feel like our attitude toward this issue is akin to smelling smoke in your house, but deciding to wait until the room you're in is on fire, just to be certain there's actually a fire. Obviously, no one would do that with their personal home, but we do it with our collective one.

But, what can we really do? Many of the companies helping to cause this problem will probably also make money off any related disaster relief. It can make you feel powerless. It feels like there's so much in the world we can't count on anymore. Then you factor in drones, the pursuit of artificial intelligence, etc. Whatever happened to being human and caring about the life you have, instead of chasing some fantasy future?

I think there is solace in that there are others who agree. It may not seem obvious, since these are not usually the loudest voices. Unfortunately, the world tends to worship the loud, not the thoughtful. But, you're not alone.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 7:01 am

“I am an old man now: I’ve had lots of trouble, and most of it never happened.”
Worry is not preparation; and no one has a crystal ball. Worry and fear over what bad things might happen in the future robs you of the joy you might've otherwise taken in the good things happening in your life today.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 7:12 am

Piobaire wrote:
Worry is not preparation; and no one has a crystal ball. Worry and fear over what bad things might happen in the future robs you of the joy you might've otherwise taken in the good things happening in your life today.

What good things? :lol:

I'm broke, struggling with aspergers and bipolar disorder, and living with a domineering mother who has major control issues. I can't even really enjoy the foods that I used to love anymore because of this stupid diet I'm on.

The only truly good thing in my life right now is my baby neice, and I've only gotten to see her twice since she was born. :(

Shinku Tora
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Dec 2018, 7:21 am

I say bring it on.

gilding our minutes and hours;
Clouds came and covered the sun,
the breath of a baleful unease,
turning to ashes flowers in their fields,
silenced the birds in the trees.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 7:24 am

I think the worst part about me dying in some major war or disaster is that I'm never going to get to do the things that I always wanted to do before I die.

And being told "Well at least you won't suffer anymore" is NOT comforting! :cry: :x

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 7:32 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Piobaire wrote:

I'm broke, struggling with aspergers and bipolar disorder, and living with a domineering mother who has major control issues. I can't even really enjoy the foods that I used to love anymore because of this stupid diet I'm on.

The only truly good thing in my life right now is my baby neice, and I've only gotten to see her twice since she was born. :(

To start with, you're alive. 6,316 people on this planet die each hour, and so far you've avoided being one of them. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
You're not starving. 795 million people in the world do not have enough food; about one in nine people on earth. Every 5 seconds a child dies of hunger or related causes. You're not one of them, and I wish you joy in your good fortune.
You're not homeless. Approximately 1.56 million people in America are; you're not one of them. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
You're not schizophrenic. Approximately 200,000 people in America are; you're not one of them. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
Domineering or not, your mother is still alive. Mine died yesterday. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
May peace be with you.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 7:56 am

Piobaire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Piobaire wrote:

To start with, you're alive. 6,316 people on this planet die each hour, and so far you've avoided being one of them. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
You're not starving. 795 million people in the world do not have enough food; about one in nine people on earth. Every 5 seconds a child dies of hunger or related causes. You're not one of them, and I wish you joy in your good fortune.
You're not homeless. Approximately 1.56 million people in America are; you're not one of them. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
You're not schizophrenic. Approximately 200,000 people in America are; you're not one of them. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
Domineering or not, your mother is still alive. Mine died yesterday. I wish you joy in your good fortune.
May peace be with you.

Ok first of all quit repeating "I wish you joy in your good future" over and over because you're being condescending.

Also do you even realize that Bipolar Disorder can be a really severe mental illness just like schizophrenia? Mine is type 1 and a very severe case and without my medications I become very uncontrollable and a danger to myself and to others. I once walked away from home at night and ended up 18 miles in another town where I was almost shot because I broke into somebody's house looking for a place to sleep.That wasn't the only crazy thing I did either, so don't you DARE talk down to me as if I have less issues than somebody with schizhophrenia! You clearly don't know s**t about me! :evil:

Last edited by envirozentinel on 18 Dec 2018, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Personal references

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 8:02 am

And another thing, I might possibly end up homeless when my mother eventually passes away. I have no means of supporting myself and I have nobody who really gives a s**t about me in this world.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 8:15 am

I guess the one bright side about me dying when the world falls apart is I won't have to put up with certain unpleasant people in this world anymore.

There's too many sadistic jerks in this world who get off on making other people miserable just for fun.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 8:28 am

Most people are decent, though. I find that most people thinking screwing others is a waste of time. There are bigger fishes to fry---like supporting a family.

Most people around the world survive just the best they can---sometimes with excellent humor.

People in refugee camps aren't people who hang their heads all day and stay depressed. They make friends, play cards, hang out, laugh.

Some join drug gangs----but most want no part of that crap.

And maybe sometimes they lament their lot--but not for long, since somebody just took out a deck of cards.

Many of them face a long journey fraught with various types of dangers--but, still, most are optimistic. Some people poetic.

Much great poetry was written in times of war and strife.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 8:50 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Piobaire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Piobaire wrote:

May peace be with you.

Ok first of all quit repeating "I wish you joy in your good future" over and over because you're being condescending and you clearly don't really mean that because it's sarcasm. :roll:

Also do you even realize that Bipolar Disorder can be a really severe mental illness just like schizophrenia? Mine is type 1 and a very severe case and without my medications I become very uncontrollable and a danger to myself and to others. I once walked away from home at night and ended up 18 miles in another town where I was almost shot because I broke into somebody's house looking for a place to sleep.That wasn't the only crazy thing I did either, so don't you DARE talk down to me as if I have less issues than somebody with schizhophrenia! You clearly don't know s**t about me! :evil:

1. I am not being condescending or sarcastic. Life is difficult enough without finding insult where none is offered.
2. I'm intimately familiar with the vagaries of Bipolar disorder; my sister is bipolar as all get-out; has been for years. You do have less issues than some with schizophrenia, and I'm sincerely glad of it; I've seen people on all fours, eating grass and barking like dogs.
3. Isn't it marvelous that there are psychotropic medications to help you manage your mental illness? Imagine what your life would've been like without them, 50 or 100 years ago.
My point is that regardless of what may or may not happen next week, next month, or next year, in this present moment you're pretty well blessed. On balance you're more fortunate than many, and possess sufficient causes and conditions for happiness, if only you choose to consider them.

Last edited by Piobaire on 18 Dec 2018, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 8:57 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
I think the worst part about me dying in some major war or disaster is that I'm never going to get to do the things that I always wanted to do before I die.

And being told "Well at least you won't suffer anymore" is NOT comforting! :cry: :x

then go and do your best now!! no excuses. this is out only opportunity to live our lives. we don't get a second chance (i don't believe in rebirth or afterlife but we could debate). this is it as far as I can see so might as well make the most of it :)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

Yes, I feel a feeling sensation to that feeling I get standing too close to the edge of a cliff. A dizzy feeling in my stomach.

Politics just seems crazy to me these days. Society in general seems more ready to fight any tiny little issue.

I'm really trying to be a calm person and not get caught up in arguments... you will see that I sometimes fail at this. Maintaining a peaceful demeanour seems to be more difficult. Maybe it's the annonimity of internet exchanges that has exacerbated this. But I see it leaking into people's lives offline.

The environmental issues give me the worst feeling. I was part of polluting the planet and I wish we had known better years ago. I'm trying to buy less plastic, but it's difficult. Everything you buy seems to be wrapped in plastic.

I try and focus on the good things I've got and the positive points of the place I live in. Not everything is bad.