Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm

Why do Aspergers have special interest? Is watching kids shows a special interests?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 11:16 pm

Watching kids shows could be a special interest if you acquired quite a bit of knowledge about the subject - like knowing everything about a particular series, character, creator etc.

Otherwise it might fall under the entertainment category.

It all depends upon your degree of focus. Many times but not always a special interest is a type of collectable such as comic books, stamps, coins, 19th century photographs, rare books, collecting snakes (which I did when I was 5), collecting butterflies and moths (which I did when I was 10).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 12:05 am

I have special interests because they make me happy. If I was denied my special interests by a person that I'm supposed to be able to trust, I'd be a very miserable person.

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2018, 12:37 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why do Aspergers have special interest?

To focus on and ignore how unsane, as Alfred Korzybski put it, the world is.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 7:40 am

I have special interests because I like to learn about things. My primary interest, animals, isn't only a special interest to me. My pets were a lifeline in difficult times and a joy in good times.

I am also interested in people who inspire me, such as Denis Istomin. He overcame a lot to succeed. This is my hope for myself.

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2018, 8:06 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why do Aspergers have special interest?

Of answers given on this page Martin Silvertant's message looks reasonable.
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-special-interest-matter-to-autistic-people

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 8:23 am

Anything I become interested in, I want to know all of the dates associated with it. If it was a TV show, I'd have to know what dates the first and last episode went out. If it's music, I have to know when it was released and I'll try to find out the months it was recorded etc.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2018, 8:42 am

Well I am no neurologist, but I understand we have narrow interest to avoid doing what we're bad at, which is everything that's not "narrow."

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:04 am

Why? Many possible reasons.

If you're talking about why as in -- how autistics are hardwired for it, well I'm not sure that myself. :lol:

It could be it just it -- like stimming and for all it's purpose, the focus to stimulate and drown out anything else.
It's mesmerizing, addicting... The deeper, the harder it is to pull away. Sometimes whether you like it or not.

It can be a sanctuary to cave in, or a bridge to go and connect with -- against or towards the uncertainties and unpredictabilities of the world. It charges you well and put you on stay, or propels you further.

Only much more complex than stimming, tend to involve more than just the senses and involving different scopes or dimensions, and more explicit learning involved.

ANYTHING can be a special interest!
Living, nonliving. Conventionally sensational or obscure, taboo or trendy, academic or not, fact or fiction, useless or practical -- anything really.
The scope of topic, the connections or relevance, how long it lasts, how intense, and how it is conveyed is entirely up to the individual.

In my case, I could have some special interests and many interests.
My primary and long term special interest is crafting.
Though I don't recite special interests, rarely ever know it's terms than most human would, or even less so talk about it. I'd watch them just to figure more 'hints' instead of watching them over and over. I mainly do it and think about it. :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Black Spot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2018, 9:14 am

Does spam hunting count? I admin another forum and before we had decent software put in, the bots were a pain. I got pretty good at hunting them down. Sometimes I miss the relentless chase; the current bunch are no challenge.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 11:30 am

Black Spot wrote:
Does spam hunting count? I admin another forum and before we had decent software put in, the bots were a pain. I got pretty good at hunting them down. Sometimes I miss the relentless chase; the current bunch are no challenge.

I guess it could be a special interest. I tried to help eliminate the scam emails that the site was constantly being bombarded with. Many were from Pakistan or India. I could figure out fairly quickly using IP address the source of the spam. As a result they made me one of the moderators of the site.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 8:08 pm

Can your special interest change? Cause I'll like get hooked on something and become obsessed with it for a bit, and then it'll fade and I'll switch to something else. I only have a few long term interests. It drives my mom crazy!

And I think kids TV shows can count, cause I think I did that one time lol (But I didnt just watch them, I like looked up all the actors, their age {ok well I do that for like every show I watch- Im weird :wink:} the crew, where they filmed, how long filming took, watched all the cast youtube videos, etc etc. I could've taken a test on those shows lmao)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 8:48 pm

graceksjp wrote:
Can your special interest change? Cause I'll like get hooked on something and become obsessed with it for a bit, and then it'll fade and I'll switch to something else. I only have a few long term interests. It drives my mom crazy!

And I think kids TV shows can count, cause I think I did that one time lol (But I didnt just watch them, I like looked up all the actors, their age {ok well I do that for like every show I watch- Im weird :wink:} the crew, where they filmed, how long filming took, watched all the cast youtube videos, etc etc. I could've taken a test on those shows lmao)

Yes your special interest can change. You just keep adding to your lists. Overtime you can become an expert in a wide variety of fields. You can become a Renaissance Man or in your case a Renaissance Woman.

A Renaissance Man is a person with many talents or areas of knowledge.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 10:12 am

My special interests have definitely changed over time. However, everything I learned in my research is still there in my long term memory.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 9:56 pm

I been watching teenage & kid shows since I was in my 20s, I watched Saved By The Bell in my 20s.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 5:54 pm

Actually, the term "special interest" bugs the heck out of me. I prefer to call them what they are--hobbies.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"