Does recurring coldsores mean I have an STD?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 5:48 pm

I've been getting coldsores since the age of 14, and everywhere I read about coldsores it says that they are caused by STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). But I never had any sexual interaction until I was 22, and I'd never kissed anybody with coldsores, and as far as I know my parents don't have STDs.

But I've been getting coldsores on and off for years, and I've been treating them and sometimes they go away for a few months to a year and other times they come back and stay for months, and not just in cold weather. Sometimes they occur on one side of the mouth, other times both sides, but usually just one side.

I'm not always sure if they are coldsores, or just skin tears, because I kiss my boyfriend a lot and he never catches them. But if they are skin tears then surely they would occur on both sides of the mouth every time. But whatever they are I find them embarrassing, as I worry people think I have herpes or STDs. :oops:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 9:28 pm

Babies can get herpes simplex (aka cold sores, fever blisters, lip cookies, raspberries) from getting kissed by someone who is infected. You could get it by sharing a toothbrush, drinking from the same glass, pop can, sharing lip balm/lipstick, same cigarette, etc. In none of those instances was the presently incurable disease "sexually" transmitted.

I do not know of this from personal experience, but my understanding is that a person with a cold sore outbreak on the lips or face can spread it to their eyes if they touch their eye and it can be a dangerous situation. Also, if I recall correctly, herpes simplex can infect the genitals creating genital herpes if a person touches their facial outbreak and then touches their genitals or someone elses. If a person has an active cold sore, for this reason, they should also refrain from giving oral sex because of the risk of giving someone genital herpes.

There used to be an interesting radio show on in the U.S. called Loveline that gave a lot of good information like this.

There are antiviral drugs that can be prescribed for cold sores, shingles, genital herpes that don't cure them but prevent or shorten outbreaks.

Last edited by Magna on 29 Dec 2018, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 9:47 pm

I don't think getting a cold sore is an indications that you have an STD.

Here is a link that may help you. Treating & Preventing Cold Sores Read through all 17 pages.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 9:47 pm

viewtopic.php?t=371864

There is a fairly new post in the Adult section about cold sores/ herpes. I have been getting them for about thirty years. Sometimes it’s stress that brings them on, other times I have no idea why. There are some good meds for them prescription and over the counter. Neither my husband nor son has ever caught it from me. I find them embarrassing because they are so ugly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 10:12 pm

when I drastically cut back on refined carbs, my cold sores became a lot more scarce. didn't totally eliminate them but they don't come all the time like they useta. :idea:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when I drastically cut back on refined carbs, my cold sores became a lot more scarce. didn't totally eliminate them but they don't come all the time like they useta. :idea:

Interesting point. My diet has greatly improved and I don’t get cold sores as often. I had a nasty in the centre of my lip a few weeks ago. Right around my birthday when I was eating cake and chocolate and other such delights that I don’t often have any more.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 10:57 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Interesting point. My diet has greatly improved and I don’t get cold sores as often. I had a nasty in the centre of my lip a few weeks ago. Right around my birthday when I was eating cake and chocolate and other such delights that I don’t often have any more.

save the sweet and starchy stuff for special occasions.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 12:27 am

Cold sores are herpes. I have had them as far back as I can remember. Since starting Low Dose Naltrexone I only had 1 cold sore in 1.5 years when normally I have about 3 to 4 a year. I have never tried any other cold sore treatments before. Either way it isn't really an issue anymore, I have worse problems to worry about.

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2018, 1:06 am

Cold sores are the visible signs of Herpes simplex 1,
Herpes is clinically defined as an STI/STD, JUST like HIV, but not everyone with hiv got it sexually. Some were born with it, some got it from infected needle neither of which ever have had to have sex, just like Herpes but it is still an STD.

If you have cold sores and have never shared utensils etc. or been kissed by someone with an outbreak (sometimes you can't see it) it's pretty simple, your mom and possibly your dad as well have Herpes simplex 1 or 11 or both, (simplex 11 is in the nether region)

Clinical studies show that Herpes passes from mother to child mostly when she has any slight outbreak down there and when the baby comes into contact with it, it passes on to him/her(even if your mom has never had an outbreak-to your knowledge). Asymptomatic Shedding!
So yes you and one or both of your parents do have an STD .it's called herpes.
But not to worry.

Though it cannot be cured, there are many things that can be done to decrease the number of outbreaks you have.
In addition to meds, lower your sugar intake, decrease stress, take extra precaution in the winter period (cold brings cold sores), girls during their periods their immune system goes down so they are also prone to it around that time.
[i]

All the best.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 4:06 am

Oh great, so I do have an STD. How unlucky is that? :oops:
Does that mean I have AIDS and shouldn't be having sexual intercourse with anyone? Will I die like Freddie Mercury?

I've never had coldsores anywhere else on my body, just on the sides of my mouth. But it shows the whole world that I have an STD. People attach stigma to STDs, they think that you're a whore that sleeps around.

I don't want an STD. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 1:21 am

Joe90 wrote:
Oh great, so I do have an STD. How unlucky is that? :oops:
Does that mean I have AIDS and shouldn't be having sexual intercourse with anyone? Will I die like Freddie Mercury?

I've never had coldsores anywhere else on my body, just on the sides of my mouth. But it shows the whole world that I have an STD. People attach stigma to STDs, they think that you're a whore that sleeps around.

I don't want an STD. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Herpes is not HIV/AIDs. It isnt going to kill you. Just accept it, don't make a big deal out of it and move on.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 8:38 am

Joe90:

If you just get "cracks" that are always in the same location, I doubt you have cold sores at all. I doublethink cold sores generally happen in exactly the same location repeatedly.

I think I recall some other type of issue that involves corner mouth cracks. You should research that a bit.

Cold sores go through stages when they happen: Do you feel itchy or a tingle at the sites before you get them? Do the sites (mouth corners) feel hot? Do you get individual bumps/blisters at the site that converge and then break open, crust over and finally scab before they heal?

If the cracks have no similarities to the above, I don't think you have cold sores. If you're worried about it you should ask a doctor.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 9:09 am

I’ve been getting cold sores since I was about 5. I didn’t have sexual contact with anyone until I was 14.

Comclusion: cold sores are not the product of an STD.

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2019, 11:35 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, please do your research,
HERPES is indeed an STD/STI, it doesn't matter if you have been getting Cold sores from the age of 5 or 50.
Just accept it, it's fine, so many people have it and don't even know they do because they haven't had an outbreak as yet/or ever.

And as I said previously which I thought was eloquent enough, you don't ever have to have had sex or even kiss someone to catch herpes.
Notes.
1/ It can be spread even when there are no outbreaks
2/ Yes it's incurable but it poses no threat to your health
3/ And yes there are other lip and face bumps/outbreaks that MAY NOT be actual ]herpes/Coldsores. So I advise you to go to your doctor to have him confirm this.\

I personally don't think you should worry about this so much

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 12:00 pm

3subjectnotebook wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, please do your research,
HERPES is indeed an STD/STI, it doesn't matter if you have been getting Cold sores from the age of 5 or 50.
Just accept it, it's fine, so many people have it and don't even know they do because they haven't had an outbreak as yet/or ever.

And as I said previously which I thought was eloquent enough, you don't ever have to have had sex or even kiss someone to catch herpes.
Notes.
1/ It can be spread even when there are no outbreaks
2/ Yes it's incurable but it poses no threat to your health
3/ And yes there are other lip and face bumps/outbreaks that MAY NOT be actual ]herpes/Coldsores. So I advise you to go to your doctor to have him confirm this.\

I personally don't think you should worry about this so much

Actually, there's research being done now that's looking at a link between herpes simplex aka cold sores and Alzheimer's.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 12:19 pm

Ladies and Gentleman:

I’ve done my research. And so have some people before me.

Cold sores are sometimes caused by Herpes Simplex Virus 1. Not a sexually-transmitted virus.

The STD, Genital Herpes, is caused by Herpes Simplex Virus 2. A sexually-transmitted virus.

Joe. You don’t have an STD if you get cold sores.