Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 2:38 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:
I'm not asking anyone to do anything to "fix" me. I wouldn't be asking any more out of a relationship than anyone else, but just by being in one my insecurity and depression related to not being able to get a girlfriend would go from being rational to irrational, and as such I highly suspect they would diminish significantly, if not vanish entirely. Any time I've considered myself close to being in a relationship, I've instantly felt better about my situation, and then when it doesn't happen I go back to my regular state like how I've presented here. It doesn't take a psychological expert to figure out the correlation.

Also, I don't have a lifetime of anxiety and depression (maybe obsessive thoughts, but I'm not expecting anyone to change that). I never mentioned anxiety at all, because it's largely just not a problem for me most of the time, and the depression I've developed is intertwined with my inability to get a relationship. I'm truly convinced that if I could expel my doubts about being able or worthy to get a relationship through contradicting them with reality, that my depression would diminish significantly. Maybe you don't understand, but you're not inside my head either.

Forgot about this thread.

I wasn't really thinking about you when I was talking about men who wanted a partner to "fix" them, I was speaking in general.

Okay, but generally one tends to assume that comments on any particular thread that they've created about a particular problem are pertinent to either themself or the problem, unless additional context has been provided

Yeah, I should've made that clearer. Sorry.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:19 am

rdos wrote:
I think depression and low self esteem can easily be the consequence of failing with relationships, but at the root of the problem is a failure to be yourself. You don't need socal competence, a job or lots of friends to have high self esteem. You don't need them to get a partner either. All that is required for high self esteem is to be comfortable with yourself.

You're over-thinking it. There are many things I appreciate about myself. I like the way my brain works, my wit, my work ethic, my problem-solving abilities etc, but none of those things help with my self-esteem issues regarding not being able to get a relationship. There are a couple of aspects which I wish to improve and am taking steps to do so, but even if I was 100% happy with myself, I would still be strongly dissatisfied being entirely left out of the dating scene and would feel how I do now in that regard, and would still be inclined towards making a post like this. Why is it so hard to accept the idea that not being able to date is causing a significant portion of my self-esteem issues, full stop?

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 4:25 am

AngelRho wrote:
Inquisitor:

Let me just start by saying I think your posts have been the most sensible ones I've read. I don't want anything I say beyond that to be seen as invalidating your feelings or experience. I do understand, so if anything else I have to say comes across as preachy, I apologize as that is not my intention.

Some of the things you pointed out regarding those of us in a relationship and what we say to those who aren't are concerning and relevant to me.

You pointed out how people in relationships question why you want to be in a relationship. Ok, WHY you want to be in a relationship is your business. You want a relationship? Fine. Go be in a relationship. Or at least try.

You admit that self-esteem is a part of it. Ok, you're being honest. I respect that.

Now that the obvious stuff is out of the way...

Yes, I would have a similar question about WHY. Sure, relationships CAN turn out abusive, but they don't NECESSARILY turn out abusive. That's like saying LED traffic lights are evil because SOMETIMES snow and ice can cake up on them, whereas incandescent bulbs are hot and keep the lights free of obstruction. So what? You can redesign the guard around the lights, and I know of at least one light bulb that has a sensor that can activate a heating coil that will keep ice off the LED's similar to how a rear window heater works in your automobile. It's a no-brainer. Saying relationships are bad because they CAN be abusive is just stupid. And just because problems CAN arise in relationships doesn't mean those problems can't be resolved, especially when the outcome is more advantageous than a previous condition. Being in a relationship is more often preferable to not. So let's just get that out of the way and deal with something more substantial.

My concern is something you've already answered, and that relates to self-esteem. The issue is the claim that the lack of a relationship is the cause of low self-esteem and depression, whereas the cure for low self-esteem and depression would be being in a relationship (because the lack thereof is the cause).

Logically, that would seem to work.

Except that's not reality.

The problem, and why it doesn't work that way, is because you're basing your self-esteem and joy--and, in essence, your identity--on another person. You are placing the responsibility for your happiness, your self-value, and your identity on another person or on status that is directly related to another person. It's illogical.

It's illogical because doing so essentially makes the other person (or potential other person) a slave to your identity and self-esteem. You might ask, "well, why not?" Well, it means that as long as someone has the right to leave you, self-esteem and identity for the duration of the relationship is artificial and impermanent. If you could literally hold someone captive or enslave them, then your identity and self-esteem is still artificial because the other person can only pretend to love you while performing acts of love under coercion or force. Do you want genuine, lasting identity and self-esteem?

You might say that she is free and you're a willing slave to her. Doesn't change the fact that she could leave you at any time. And if you are a slave to her, is your love for her genuine love, and does she want genuine love or not? If she wants genuine love, she can't stay with you because you cannot give her what she wants. You might decide to fake it and see if you can fool her into thinking you love her. OK, but you're still not doing yourself any favors. That's because you become a slave to deception. Eventually the lies will wear you down since you cannot live that way and continue to get what you want. It takes a toll on the person you're leeching from, too. You can become a yes-man. And your lack of initiative and decisiveness will cause her to be resentful and bitter towards you. She'll become abusive, and eventually you'll lose your mind. And when you either go nuts or she leaves you, what's that going to do to your self-esteem? Notice I didn't ask about your identity. If I'd asked what that does for your identity, that would imply that you had an identity in the first place.

Your self-esteem CANNOT be successfully derived from relationships. You may think it can be. You can blame low self-esteem on lack of relational success. But in the end, it's impossible. It just won't work.

Self-esteem has to be derived from who and what you are as an individual. What do you do that you enjoy? What are you good at? What makes you unique and special? What can you do better than anyone else? What ideas do you have that you could share to improve your life and the lives of others? Self-esteem is tied to your own sense of value, not the value others give you. If you achieve something with a useful activity, people will recognize what you do and they'll respect you for it. Girls who didn't find you attractive before will at the very least find you interesting. That's not WHY you achieve, of course, but rather respect and attraction are consequences of achievement.

This is NOT a magical formula for starting or maintaining a relationship. No matter how good you are at something, there's always a risk that you may never have anyone. The point is that other people aren't important. YOU are. You can't work yourself to death for the approval of others when approval may never come. Do it for yourself. IF they come, let them come, and be generous when they do. But don't define yourself by someone else or the relationships of others. That's the only way you're going to fix the self-esteem problem. Do this, and relationships won't matter.

Like I said, feeling good about yourself and understanding your own self-worth happen to be attractive features. Being good at things tends to make people attractive. I can't make any promises or guarantees. But I'm sure this demonstrates that, if nothing else, a high sense of one's own personal value and high expectations of yourself and others makes it more LIKELY that you'll find someone. And it will make the relationship itself easier and more worthwhile BECAUSE your partner isn't tasked with your happiness. You can enjoy what you have to offer each other because your happiness isn't dependent on status. And, as most relationships do, when you break up, you don't walk away empty handed. You still have your own identity and your own value.

People will often say "if you're not happy outside a relationship, you won't be happy in one, either." It's a true statement, but I'm not sure it's a very well-explained statement. It certainly does little to make you feel better when someone says it, and it's a bit of a platitude the way it's often used. Hopefully understanding a little more WHY this is true is helpful as you move forward.

I'm not going to tell you NOT to pursue a relationship. I don't think that's the solution. You should if that's what you want. But be sure you're not pursuing a relationships for your happiness. Relationships are ongoing exchanges between individuals. You cannot be held responsible for her happiness any more than you can hold her responsible for yours. But perhaps your interests and values overlap at some point, or perhaps you have complementary or similar life goals you can work towards together. But don't be fooled into thinking that's what's going to make you happy. It really is true if you are unhappy NOT in a relationship, being in one isn't going to help. Get into a relationship for the wrong reasons and you'll be much unhappier.

If you need to get into a bad relationship and experience that for yourself, more power to you. I wouldn't test it, myself. But do try to get at the REAL root of your depression and low self-esteem before seeking joy in a relationship. If you get into a relationship and this is a work in progress, fine. I've got no problem with that. But defo ADDRESS it rather than counting on the relationship itself to fix it for you. It won't. I'd like to see you do better than that, and I believe that you can.

Thanks for the compliment.

The purpose of this thread was to create a discussion about why I want a relationship, but also so that I dont need to repeat myself on different threads, I can just link anyone who would ask that question here.

When I say that an inability to get a relationship is causing low self-esteem and depression, well there's just no way around it, it is. Being barred from something so pertinent to the human experience that you've wanted to experience for a long time will make you depressed. If you take someone hostage and lock them in your basement for years, it is very likely that they will become depressed by the limitations placed on their existence, this is a similar thing. Granted, they likely wouldn't develop a low self-esteem too, but they have no ownership in the fact that they were taken hostage. It's not something personal about them, something fundamental to their being that resulted in their hostage situation, but with not being able to date on the other hand, it's difficult to feel like there isn't something wrong with you if you can't participate in the dating scene despite a snowballing desire to do so. To summise, the depression comes from being barred from dating and relationships and being restricted from gaining experience in that facet of life. The low self-esteem comes from feeling like it must be something personal about me that is keeping people away or making it so that I am unable to date.

Now let me clarify. I don't believe this is a matter of me being dependent on having a relationship in general to feel good about myself. I could feel relatively content without a relationship, but only if I have sufficient proof to believe that I am capable of being in a relationship and attracting a partner in the future, and at this stage, evidence for that being the case, and for me being able to get a relationship in the future is absent.

It may be difficult to grasp as relationships inherently have other people in them, but this isn't about having another person be a slave to my identity, or about basing my self-esteem on another person, or about bending over backwards to make sure a particular relationship works because I can't stand being alone. This is about my capacity to attract a partner. I could live with not being in a relationship if I had the experience under my belt to suggest I could get one, and that women I'm interested in could feasibly reciprocate my interest.

If I successfully learn to ride a bike and maybe I don't have the opportunity to ride one for years after that, I'm still going to have some confidence in my ability to ride a bike. If I tried and tried and tried to learn how to ride a bike but failed invariably, and knowing how to ride a bike was very important to me, I'd understandably be upset at the discrepancy between my desire to ride a bike and the reality that I can't despite devoting a lot of time, effort and energy to attain the knowledge and cognitive skills necessary. Walking outside into the world and seeing everyone else riding their bikes would add insult to injury, and make me believe that there was just something fundamentally flawed about me as it relates to my innate skills to ride a bike. Maybe I'd see the neighbour go through lots of different bikes over the years while I still can't even ride. In this situation, the only logical solution is for the person to successfully learn to ride a bike, and then even if they don't have an avenue to use their knowledge and cognitive skills for a matter of years, when they do eventually get back on a bike, they can be reasonably confident that they can ride.

I would speculate that in order to overcome my self-esteem issues with relationships, it doesn't necessarily have to be a matter of me getting into one relationship and staying in it forever (though I wouldn't object at all to that outcome with a compatible woman). My belief is that in order to get over these self-esteem issues completely, I must first experience two good relationships to substantiate my ability to get into relationships (two to make sure the first one wasn't a fluke). Of course if I'm lucky enough to find my future wife the first time then a second relationship would be unnecessary, but assuming the first one doesn't work out, it would still help with my perception of my ability to get a relationship, but I'd probably realistically need to experience a second one to fully exterminate the belief that women just don't want to be in a relationship with me, to prove the first wasn't just a fluke. Again, this is not about chaining a woman to me and being in a relationship as much or for as long as possible, this is about quantifying my ability to get a relationship, which is something that can't be done when you lack reason and evidence that you can get in a relationship. There's a big difference between guys who are between relationships and guys who've never had any, and that is because the former have good reason to believe that being single for them is temporary, while the latter do not.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 2:09 am

those are definetley normal, common reasons