Worst New York Measles outbreak in recent history

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:09 pm

New York tackles 'largest measles outbreak' in state's recent history as cases spike globally

Quote:
measles outbreak in New York has been called the largest in the state's recent history, and it's occurring at a time when there have been spikes in measles cases globally.

Since the outbreak emerged in September, measles has been diagnosed in at least 112 people across Rockland and Orange counties and at least 55 in New York City, according to numbers provided by the New York state and city health departments on Tuesday.

"I would say this is the largest measles outbreak that New York state has had in recent history," said Dr. Howard Zucker, the state commissioner of health.

"I would say this is the largest measles outbreak that New York state has had in recent history," said Dr. Howard Zucker, the state commissioner of health.
"If you go back many decades ago when we weren't vaccinating, of course there were probably more outbreaks, but in my memory, I don't know of a measles outbreak that was this significant," he said. "We have immunized 13,000 children since this outbreak has begun.

The outbreak, which emerged after some children were infected on a visit to Israel in September, has particularly affected Orthodox Jewish communities, according to the New York City Health Department.

In New York City alone as of Tuesday, "we have 55 cases confirmed in Brooklyn," said Dr. Jane Zucker, assistant commissioner for the Bureau of Immunization at the NYC Health Department. She is of no relation to Dr. Howard Zucker

The largest outbreak in New York City had 58 cases in 2013, she said. Now, "I'm certainly hoping that there are no further cases and we won't exceed that 58, but we're still in the middle of the outbreak."

The outbreak continues while there has been a spike in cases both nationwide and worldwide.

Nationally, 2018 saw the second-highest number of measles diagnoses in more than two decades, with 273 cases. In 2015, an outbreak linked to Disneyland had 147 cases. There were 508 cases reported nationally in 1996, and some previous years saw higher numbers, too.

In the decade before 1963, when a vaccine became available, nearly all children got measles by the time they were 15, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is estimated that 3 million to 4 million people in the United States were infected every year.

Symptoms include fever and rash, usually lasting several days. Infected people are contagious from four days before through four days after the rash appears. Young children and pregnant women are among those at highest risk for severe complications, which can lead to death.

For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it, according to the CDC.

I do not expect Trump to issue an entry ban from Israel nor say that Israel will pay for the cost of the entry ban.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:16 am

The anti-vaxxers have been posting such evil filthy lives that I think they actually *want* the child mortality rate in developed countries to increase.