Beto O'Rourke wonders if Constitutional Principles are dated

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 11:37 am

Beto O'Rourke asks: Are the 'principles' of the US Constitution still relevant?

Quote:
Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-Texas, questioned the relevancy of the U.S. Constitution and the American experiment which began more than two centuries ago during a recent interview.

During an interview with the Washington Post, the potential 2020 contender was pressed on whether he believed the U.S. could reinvent how it approached divisive issues that have contributed to current political paralysis or whether he thought it was impossible for the country to introduce any reforms.

“I’m hesitant to answer it because I really feel like it deserves its due, and I don’t want to give you a — actually, just selfishly, I don’t want a sound bite of it reported, but, yeah, I think that’s the question of the moment: Does this still work?” O’Rourke replied. “Can an empire like ours with military presence in over 170 countries around the globe, with trading relationships ... and security agreements in every continent, can it still be managed by the same principles that were set down 230-plus years ago?”

This is a guy from the “moderate” wing of the party, oh boy. This is why as much as Trump scares the hell out of me the likelyhood of the anti Trump backlash fueled generational progressive change scares me just as much.

The answer to his question is the core principles are needed now more than ever.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 2:20 am

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

Thomas Jefferson

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 2:21 am

Seriously, it took me 2 seconds to google that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 3:40 am

Our problems stem from ignoring the core constitutional principals (exp. Patriot Act) not the principles themselves.
Sure things can be modified to fit the times that is why there is an process to amend the constitution. It is also very difficult to do for a reason.

Just a guess the the next serious attempt to amend the constitution will not be repealing the second amendment but changing the first amendment to prohibit hate speech.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 3:50 am

The first amendment won't be overturned any time soon, but we need to include the right to digital privacy.

I would support including abortion rights (bodily autonomy). And the right to non-addictive psychoactive drugs like mushrooms and weed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 4:25 am

AspE wrote:
The first amendment won't be overturned any time soon, but we need to include the right to digital privacy.

I would support including abortion rights (bodily autonomy). And the right to non-addictive psychoactive drugs like mushrooms and weed.

I was not thinking overturned but modified to prohibit hate speech. Like I mentioned it will be difficult to do but I could imagine a scenario a post Trump blue wave and more “alt right” terrorism where this happens. Not that earlier generatiion was always supportive (see book bannings) but the generation coming to power is less supportive of free speech. SCOTUS IMHO is not likely to uphold hate speech statutes so the only “remedy” would be to amend the constitution.

There is a large segment of the country that strongly supports the right to bear arms. Freedom of speech support usually is only supported when it is convenient.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 12:51 pm

I'm just thinking of Trump suggesting that journalists shouldn't be allowed to be critical of him.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm

I'm with Ruth Bader Ginsberg- the Constitution, while a fantastic document, is structurally deficient and obsolete.