Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 12:35 am

New Group To Focus On Severe Autism

Quote:
Amid a bevy of existing autism organizations, a new national nonprofit is hoping to stand out by giving voice to the particular needs of people on the severe end of the spectrum.

The National Council on Severe Autism launched this month with an eye toward addressing the services, housing and policy concerns of people most significantly affected by the developmental disorder and their families.

Increasingly, those behind the new group say that autism is seen in popular culture through the lens of individuals who are high functioning like the surgeon portrayed on television’s “The Good Doctor.” At the same time, they note that changes to psychiatry’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in recent years lumped people from all ends of the autism spectrum into one broad diagnostic category.

The new group said it will focus on elevating the concerns of families of those needing continuous supervision. In many cases these individuals are nonverbal or minimally verbal, have co-occurring intellectual disability and have challenging behaviors.

Already, the National Council on Severe Autism has issued position statements on hot-button issues like guardianship, crisis care, employment and what qualifies as a community-based setting. And, they said a think tank on adult autism policy is in the works.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 2:50 pm

But aren't existing organisations advocating almost entirely for severe autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 2:35 am

New group faces backlash over its goals for severe autism

Quote:
A new advocacy group for people with severe autism is spotlighting the deep divide in the community over who should speak for those on the spectrum.

Supporting people like her children might not seem like a contentious endeavor, but the backlash to the nascent organization has been swift and loud.

The critics say several of the organization’s policies strip autistic people of their autonomy, instead pushing for parents or guardians to make decisions for these individuals; they also note that the organization’s board does not include anyone on the spectrum.

“These are not the people who should be in charge of this conversation,” says Shannon Des Roches Rosa, managing editor of the Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism, a nonprofit news site. (Rosa is also a frequent contributor to Spectrum.) “The NCSA is not on our kids’ side; they’re on the parents’ side.”

An estimated 30 percent of autistic people have a severe form of the condition — typically distinguished by a low intelligence quotient, limited speech and difficulty performing everyday tasks. The transition to adulthood is a critical juncture for these individuals.

“We’re seeing this big wave of 20- to 30-something-year-olds with autism,” says Matthew Siegel, associate professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at Tufts University in Boston, who is on the organization’s board of directors. “A good portion of them are more severely affected and have big needs that the public system struggles to respond to in terms of housing, treatment, vocational opportunities and lifespan support.”

The NCSA aims to fill that gap.

Judging by the response so far, the organization has struck a chord with parents of severely autistic children: Some 1,500 people have signed up for its newsletter; dozens of caregivers have sent emails seeking help; and more than 2,000 people follow the group’s Facebook page, which features posts about the need for supported housing and hospital care, the dearth of clinical research on severe autism and personal accounts of raising severely autistic children.

The latter, in particular, has generated dozens of comments and hundreds of shares.

Rosa, too, has an autistic child who needs a lot of support. And she agrees that society doesn’t address the rights, supports and services that her son Leo and her family need.

But she takes umbrage both with the term ‘severe’ and with what she calls the “horror stories” the NCSA posts about parenting such children. Her family’s problems stemmed mostly from not understanding Leo’s needs and how he tried to express them, she says, and not from his autism itself.

“I don’t see [the NCSA] really advocating for acceptance or understanding,” she says.

She and other critics also disagree with the NCSA’s support of the use of restraints in some circumstances, and with the organization’s position that federal funding should be made available to build gated communities for people with severe autism. The danger of such housing, she says, is that autistic people will be segregated and lose the autonomy to make decisions about their lives, from what they eat to when they socialize. What’s more, conditions at such places may “fall off the radar” of parents and the public, putting residents at risk of neglect or other abuse, Rosa says.

Guardianship is another point of contention: The NCSA supports the practice in which a court-appointed person assumes responsibility for making legal, medical and other decisions for the autistic adult.

The NCSA’s critics say that instead, autistic people should be allowed to advocate for themselves.

The NCSA does not represent people with the ability to self-advocate, says Amy Lutz, the organization’s secretary. “We fully support self-advocates pursuing the support that they need, but this is completely separate,” she says.

The problem, she says, is that the autism spectrum spans a wide range of abilities and challenges.

The NCSA’s support of research into treatments for people with severe autism is less controversial. Even as the prevalence of autism has risen in the past 25 years, the number of studies that include severely affected people has declined dramatically.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 10:36 am

Reading the article, I found that the organization is run by someone who is a listed autistic enemy on Phil Gluyas's website and mentioned as an unreliable source on the Autism Wiki.

That might as well justify the backlash.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

[sarcasm] Ah, yes ... that's just what we need ... another advocacy organization. [/sarcasm]

How about an organization that provides gainful employment and decent housing for autistic people?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm

[sarcasm] Yes, the founding of this type of organization is just so original. [/sarcasm]

I'd rather watch paint dry than support organizations that claim to help autistic people but really support the views of allistic parents desperate for a cure.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 1:04 pm

I get it. Only "severe" autistic people matter. :roll:

If you're "high-functioning" or aspie you're not autistic enough to have any real problems, but you're not NT enough to meet the unrealistic expectations other people have of you. And that goes up to 11 if you're a female adult.

Samanto Hermes
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Increasingly, those behind the new group say that autism is seen in popular culture through the lens of individuals who are high functioning

Cherry-picking. Many people see autism as a severe single condition. To give visibility to the high-functioning end of spectrum doesn't automatically exclude those on the low-functioning one.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 2:51 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I get it. Only "severe" autistic people matter. :roll:
Not the ''severely'' autistic people, their parents.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 2:54 pm

Samanto Hermes wrote:
Quote:
Increasingly, those behind the new group say that autism is seen in popular culture through the lens of individuals who are high functioning

Cherry-picking. Many people see autism as a severe single condition. To give visibility to the high-functioning end of spectrum doesn't automatically exclude those on the low-functioning one.
Also the high functioning that's shown is very narrow.