Would you date a guy who plays video games?

Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Would you date a guy who plays video games?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 35 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 46

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 10:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I'd think twice about any adult who plays video games, except very occasionally - even more so if the games in question involve hurting people.

It's always wise to start by dismissing a large percentage of potential candidates over something trivial before even starting to accept applications for the position. I believe this is an ideal way to ensure a large body of potential suitable applicants.
Best of luck, good sir. Image

If it’s a woman he wants he’s probably fine doing so.

I play violent video games yet I’m one of the least violent people and feel extremely guilty killing bugs. I dont know anyone else who uses a flashlight to watch out for worms and avoids them or who stops to save a beatle

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 11:08 pm

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I'd think twice about any adult who plays video games, except very occasionally - even more so if the games in question involve hurting people.

It's always wise to start by dismissing a large percentage of potential candidates over something trivial before even starting to accept applications for the position. I believe this is an ideal way to ensure a large body of potential suitable applicants.

If it’s a woman he wants he’s probably fine doing so.

I play violent video games yet I’m one of the least violent people and feel extremely guilty killing bugs. I dont know anyone else who uses a flashlight to watch out for worms and avoids them or who stops to save a beatle

Hopefully the dripping sarcasm in my post was blatant enough.

I'm saying he'd be a fool to not include girls who play video games, even violent ones. There's enough of them, and enough of them in subcultures that might be more accepting and inclusive of people with ASD and people with traits associated with ASD who don't meet the dx criteria that immediately dismissing them makes no sense.

Of course, as a geek my perspective in that regard might be skewed. If I recall correctly you'd be in the same boat as me in that regard. I'm not sure about Prometheus18.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Feb 2019, 2:32 pm

Women can be addicted to vid games too but yet men don't seem to have a problem with women being addicted. My girlfriend plays vid games alot more than me. She'll spend most of her waking hours playing them when she's home all day. Some of that is cuz of her depression. I don't mind too much except I get bored watching after a while & I cant play games with her much cuz most all the games she plays are one player. She also has a hard time stopping playing even when she's been playing too long. I sometimes have to encourage her to quit playing & do other stuff she needs to like eat or go to bed when she's getting tired.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm

I hate talking about video games in front of guys. I causes me to have anxiety and makes me feel like I don’t count because I don’t look like a female Twitch streamer or Youtuber who is female and plays video games. I don’t show cleavage because I have scars on my chest and my hair isn’t straight and platinum blonde.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:07 pm

nobody can be blamed for his/her personal preferences. If you would think twice before dating an adult that avidly plays video games most of her/his time that's fair and nobody can tell you it's wrong (personally I share your preference but just generally speaking)

for example I won't date somebody that smokes regularly. No matter if she's smart, pretty, special, shares interests, good conversation - if she ain't quitting for me it's not gonna work. Some people don't care dating a partner who smokes I do and again it's a personal preference nobody can be of judge and even if they do I wouldn't care what others have to say

Some people for example will only care to date somebody who's financially very successful (or only someone who possesses a specific physical trait), while personally I don't mind dating a girl who's not (since I'm middle class, I'm not poor but defo nowhere near rich by any means) I would strongly prefer someone of my social class, not a very rich girl or a very poor one as well.

Empiric researches confirm that people like to partner up with other people who are similar to them. opposites match is such a cliche, sure in rare occasions it works, but rare they are.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I have philosophical objections to sex/romantic relationships, so it's not something that I'm likely to pursue regardless of the women involved, but if I were looking for that sort of thing, I'd rather be single than be paired with 99% of women I know. I've only ever met one woman I was attracted to in THAT way.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:52 pm

Video games are like any other hobby, so I see no problem with it in the general sense.

Video games can be kind of addictive though so I can see some concern in that area, but if the person has their priorities in order it shouldn't be a problem. The only other things that may bother me would be if they were excessively violent and or just grotesque. I'm not sure if that would deter me from dating someone but its something that would bother me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:31 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I have philosophical objections to sex/romantic relationships, so it's not something that I'm likely to pursue regardless of the women involved, but if I were looking for that sort of thing, I'd rather be single than be paired with 99% of women I know. I've only ever met one woman I was attracted to in THAT way.

Perhaps you're looking at the wrong gender? It seems fair that if someone were asexual, or primarily/exclusively homosexual in their interests that they'd really struggle to find a woman who's appealing in the slightest.

I hope your attitudes aren't just from sipping the MGTOW kool-aid, but if so, my condolences.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Perhaps you're looking at the wrong gender? It seems fair that if someone were asexual, or primarily/exclusively homosexual in their interests that they'd really struggle to find a woman who's appealing in the slightest.

I hope your attitudes aren't just from sipping the MGTOW kool-aid, but if so, my condolences.

I suppose I'm something of an asexual, but I consider myself ANTIsexual. I like some things about MGTOW, but I don't go for online cults and I think most of them are still too pro-sexual for my liking. I think sex is bad for BOTH genders and that we ought to cooperate to treat the social and mental health disaster of the sex drive.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Feb 2019, 6:30 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
I suppose I'm something of an asexual, but I consider myself ANTIsexual. I like some things about MGTOW, but I don't go for online cults and I think most of them are still too pro-sexual for my liking. I think sex is bad for BOTH genders and that we ought to cooperate to treat the social and mental health disaster of the sex drive.

It's okay to be asexual. It's okay to go your own way. It's okay not to be interested in dating.
It's a bit exotic to see sex drive as "social and mental health disaster". You mean what, humans should stop reproducing and die off?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:31 am

magz wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

It's okay to be asexual. It's okay to go your own way. It's okay not to be interested in dating.
It's a bit exotic to see sex drive as "social and mental health disaster". You mean what, humans should stop reproducing and die off?

I think that would be better for the planet - and for the future generations of children themselves, but no, I have no objections to sex for the purpose of reproduction, or only very weak ones.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2019, 11:06 pm

I'd say it's almost a requirement in my case, heh. I need someone to play with. Preferably people that do both serious (Especially PvP), AND roleplaying.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 1:38 am

If she's snotty about gamers she wouldn't like us regardless of the games

valarmorghulis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2019, 5:10 pm

I got very confused when I saw this topic, I wasn't even sure if this was a serious question. I think every single one of my male acquaintances under 50 plays video games - expect one who codes so much that he doesn't have time. For me the question sounds about same like "would you date a guy who listens to music" or "would you date a guy who watches movies". But maybe I just happen to know certain kind of men, or video games are more common in my country, I don't know. The only situation where playing them would be problem for me was a serious addiction. Otherwise I see them so normal thing that it's not even a question for me.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2019, 9:17 am

I don't think I could date or marry a guy who doesn't play video games. I think for me it's because it's been such a big part of my life. I watched my dad play games (Atari oof) when I was little, my whole childhood, along with my siblings. We all still play games and my mom's a gamer too. We don't have to have the same taste in games but it would be weird for me if he didn't play games at all.