Anyone feel here they are too mentally sick to make friends?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2019, 6:37 am

neptunekh wrote:
I'm a very mentally sick woman and I get fed up with people telling me I should make new friends. I'm not meant to make new friends because of my mental illness. Besides the current friends I have, no one else is interested in being my friend.

I think the difficult thing is that you have to make an effort to make friends: you have to go out and do things, take the initiative to start conversations. I think you're most likely to attract other people's interest when you come across as a happy person who enjoys life. I know I enjoy being around those kind of people myself.

I find it hard to motivate myself to talk to others when I'm feeling low, but I try because sometimes the conversation takes my mind off worrying and I end up feeling better. That being said, it is a constant challenge for me to gather the energy to do this.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 8:47 am

I'm not sure I have too much to contribute to this thread or where this thread could be going, but one thing that may be of interest is that sometimes people can trick themselves in the way they determine this is because of that, so re mental illness, an example would be, and not talking about the op, but just speaking in general--a person could tell themselves that they do not have friends because they are displaying certain symptoms that are generally attributed to mental illness, whereas in actuality they are unconsciously displaying some of these symptoms to keep people away because their is a fear of intimacy.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 8:48 am

I can't maintain substantial human contact for any longer then a year. Most times I expect to fall out with someone in that time and usually I do which is why I don't even bother to waste my time. Its easier to just keep with the online connections I have and not really bother with anyone offline since it always fails