Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 12:39 pm

Waiting for the bus today a random young woman asked me if I was waiting for the bus. I said I had to go visit my husband in the hospital... I mentioned I don't have much of a social life cause I am worried about his health all the time. She said "I don't have a social life cause I have Asperger's" she has a special interest in math... Didn't even get her name before the bus came but she lives in my building... I guess aspies are closer to me than I think but I don't know how to handle this well....

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 12:41 pm

Spend a little time and make a friend.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 1:57 pm

Sounds like a potential friend to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 3:10 pm

If she lives in your building you will probably have another chance to meet her and disclose that you are an aspie too, if that is what you want to do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

You are not obligated to "do" anything.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm

Ehhh, I just got excited to meet a fem aspie lol. I did tell her I might have it myself and I liked birds. I already made a friend, the old lady across the hall from my apartment... She's just lonely and invited me over to watch an old TV show with her.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2019, 11:17 pm

That's nice! You are making friends. It must feel good.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 1:06 am

Spend some time and get to know her.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 12:03 pm

I'd also recommend getting to know her, she could be interested in having a friend as well, especially someone on the spectrum who knows what is is like.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 2:41 pm

It's possible she's a bit more intuitive than you are, suspected you were on the spectrum, and dropped a hint to see how you'd react by openly stating that she was autistic. I think she's trying to make a connection.

outlander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2019, 3:04 pm

Angnix wrote:
Waiting for the bus today a random young woman asked me if I was waiting for the bus............ She said "I don't have a social life cause I have Asperger's" she has a special interest in math... Didn't even get her name before the bus came but she lives in my building... I guess aspies are closer to me than I think but I don't know how to handle this we...........
That sounds like she was putting out a feeler (we would hope it was not a scam with ulterior motives-- one should be a little bit cautious as an aspi might be percieved as easy pickings-- but we should stop short of paranoia)........ Moving on with the notion that it was a straitght forward honest feeler, I think you should follow up on it. An obvious possible follow up the next time you meet her. would be
------ "Say, Your comment last time we met that you made about 'No social life and Asperger's' , Are you familiar with the web site for Aspies like us called Wrong planet .net . It is a website for aspies and autistics by aspies and autistics. It is a good place for those of us on the spectrum to hang out on line......" Then just wing it from there and see where it leads.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 3:08 pm

outlander wrote:
Angnix wrote:
Waiting for the bus today a random young woman asked me if I was waiting for the bus............ She said "I don't have a social life cause I have Asperger's" she has a special interest in math... Didn't even get her name before the bus came but she lives in my building... I guess aspies are closer to me than I think but I don't know how to handle this we...........
That sounds like she was putting out a feeler (we would hope it was not a scam with ulterior motives-- one should be a little bit cautious as an aspi might be percieved as easy pickings-- but we should stop short of paranoia)........ Moving on with the notion that it was a straitght forward honest feeler, I think you should follow up on it. An obvious possible follow up the next time you meet her. would be
------ "Say, Your comment last time we met that you made about 'No social life and Asperger's' , Are you familiar with the web site for Aspies like us called Wrong planet .net . It is a website for aspies and autistics by aspies and autistics. It is a good place for those of us on the spectrum to hang out on line......" Then just wing it from there and see where it leads.

If I see her again I was thinking about mentioning wrong planet