Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MrFroz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

Hello everybody. I'm MrFroz.

I am a 23 years old programmer who worked on many game projects to date. My best known project is a total conversion mod for Doom II called Blood: Dead on Arrival, which was released the past year and so far has accrued more than 3.000 downloads on ModDB alone, along with plenty of coverage across YouTube and gaming sites like The Dark Side Of Gaming.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome three years ago. I lived the vast majority of my life so far not knowing I had it, and even though I guess I could go and talk about how much I wish I would have been diagnosed earlier, I'm not going to let that negativity overcome me and I'll just say that there was a silver lining to it because of the fact that I never understimated myself or what I was capable of.

Not for a single second did I think that because of having a syndrome I wasn't going to be able to do anything I wanted, and I tried everything: playing guitar, learning foreign languages, writing, creating my own levels for Doom - you name it, I took a crack at it.

And here I am, happy to know I'm not the only person that's this way and even more happy to be part of a community with like-minded individuals. Hopefully we'll get along fine.

Warm (or should I say chill) regards, MrFroz.

feeli0
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 9:52 pm

Welcome MrFroz. I’m a late diagnosis too and agree that its a good thing in a lot of ways. However I do like the explanation of why my social life has always been such a shambles! :D

AQ 40
ASD-1

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 9:55 pm

Welcome! Didn't know I had autism until I was in the middle of a LTR after buying a house together!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 10:12 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

MrFroz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2019, 10:32 pm

feeli0 wrote:
Welcome MrFroz. I’m a late diagnosis too and agree that its a good thing in a lot of ways. However I do like the explanation of why my social life has always been such a shambles! :D

I think ASD is a valid explanation for that too, but I do not seek comfort in it. I talked to many different kinds of people since my diagnosis and I happened to realize that people's lives tend to be hard for whatever reason, be it because of unemployment or losing someone dear. I think in every case the important thing is to not lose hope in yourself or people.

BTDT wrote:
Welcome! Didn't know I had autism until I was in the middle of a LTR after buying a house together

I actually found out about my Asperger's because of trying to find the cause for another health problem.

When I was eighteen I started suffering from nervous tics like blinking, touching my face or frowning. I actually had these tics when I was a child but they were rare, however in adulthood I started doing them more frequently and sometimes many of them at once. Whenever I walked on the street and suffered these motor tics, people would think I was having a stomachache and ask me if I was OK.

I went to a psychiatrist in order to get some medicine for the tics but during the very first session she noticed I had difficulties making eye contact with her and that I was introverted like few people she knew. After some more sessions I got a preliminarly diagnosis of AS and eventually a definitive assessment of it. My tics persisted (and even worsened) and they make me very uncomfortable but in a way I'm grateful for them.

By the way, thanks for the warm welcome guys.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 1:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 2:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

MrFroz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2019, 10:11 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Thanks, guys!

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2019, 4:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, MrFroz, stay encouraged and here's hoping you learn even more new things...