Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 May 2016
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,544
Location: Canada

27 Jan 2019, 8:19 pm

(First attempt to post a link :D )
FIFTH ESTATE
Why incels are a 'real and present threat' for Canadians

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/incel-th ... -1.4992184



karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

27 Jan 2019, 10:56 pm

I just watched the program, it was good but I felt like they didn't spend enough time with the subject. Also I would have liked to see the reaction of the guy who made that horrible song about Alek Minassian, if the CBC could have gotten someone who survived Minassian's attack to talk to the guy who made the song saying he wanted to "run over all those b*****s like Alek Minassian", so he would be forced to recognize the humanity of the victims of the violence he was promoting. Maybe they tried and no one was willing, they don't say--but I think it's important to humanize women and victims of violence to these guys who participate in these violent forums, to prompt them to empathize (if they are capable of empathy) and help move them away from the violently misogynistic incel ideology.

I'd like to see that piece of human garbage try to justify his song and the sentiment behind it to the grandmother who lost her legs because Alek Minassian crushed them with his van. I would have paid good money to see him confronted with reality in that way.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,063
Location: Stendec

28 Jan 2019, 10:04 am

Quote:
Experts interviewed by The Fifth Estate have identified 120 instances of extreme violence in Canada by right-wing groups, including incels, in the past 30 years. This is compared to only seven by Islamist-inspired extremists ... As soon as you have a suicidal, disoriented male, all bets are off in terms of what they're capable of doing ... Many are suicidal and some are homicidal ... they think they have some sort of inborn inherent right and privilege to access women and women's bodies and so that is the bit that animates them ... Incels believe women owe them sex, and in some cases people active on incel forums advocate for government-sanctioned girlfriends and sexual encounters...
More than 94 percent of all incidents of extreme violence in Canada since 1999 have been caused by men who (1) hate women, and then (2) complain because women hate them.

Whatta buncha messed-up losers, eh?

Lucky for us there's no one like that around here, right?

Right?



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,748
Location: USA

28 Jan 2019, 11:55 am

Oh, I get it, this Alek Minassian was diagnosed with "Asperger Disorder".


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,320
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

28 Jan 2019, 11:38 pm

Interesting article.

Their threat level is bigger than the zero some believe it is, but I don't think it's very high.

The 120 far right incidents of violence vs. 7 islamic inspired ones was an interesting stat. Makes me wonder how many of those are incel related, as well as what all the rest are. (My guess is mostly racism.)


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

29 Jan 2019, 2:02 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Interesting article.

Their threat level is bigger than the zero some believe it is, but I don't think it's very high.

The 120 far right incidents of violence vs. 7 islamic inspired ones was an interesting stat. Makes me wonder how many of those are incel related, as well as what all the rest are. (My guess is mostly racism.)


I wonder what the correlation is with domestic violence too, because a lot of these "lone wolf" shooters lately (the last handful or so that have happened in the states anyway) seem to have domestic violence elements, or the shooters have a history of charges like stalking and harassment. Might be a key to finding these guys and getting them off the streets sooner before they kill people, if law enforcement and the justice system took those kinds of charges more seriously and actually put guys in jail for them instead of getting a slap on the wrist like they usually get when they violate a restraining order or smack their wife around the first few times, before they ultimately snap and start killing which a not insignificant number of them seem to do. There seems to often be a clear pattern of escalation where law enforcement could have made a difference and didn't.



karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

29 Jan 2019, 2:05 am

Now that I've posted in this thread, let's see how long it takes my fan club to show up, "coincidentally" posting in every thread I do in every conversation I participate in. There's an established pattern there, too. :lol:



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,320
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

29 Jan 2019, 2:46 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Interesting article.

Their threat level is bigger than the zero some believe it is, but I don't think it's very high.

The 120 far right incidents of violence vs. 7 islamic inspired ones was an interesting stat. Makes me wonder how many of those are incel related, as well as what all the rest are. (My guess is mostly racism.)


I wonder what the correlation is with domestic violence too, because a lot of these "lone wolf" shooters lately (the last handful or so that have happened in the states anyway) seem to have domestic violence elements, or the shooters have a history of charges like stalking and harassment. Might be a key to finding these guys and getting them off the streets sooner before they kill people, if law enforcement and the justice system took those kinds of charges more seriously and actually put guys in jail for them instead of getting a slap on the wrist like they usually get when they violate a restraining order or smack their wife around the first few times, before they ultimately snap and start killing which a not insignificant number of them seem to do. There seems to often be a clear pattern of escalation where law enforcement could have made a difference and didn't.


Hindsight is always 20/20. Cops can't arrest someone for a crime they think they might commit in the future.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

29 Jan 2019, 3:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Interesting article.

Their threat level is bigger than the zero some believe it is, but I don't think it's very high.

The 120 far right incidents of violence vs. 7 islamic inspired ones was an interesting stat. Makes me wonder how many of those are incel related, as well as what all the rest are. (My guess is mostly racism.)


I wonder what the correlation is with domestic violence too, because a lot of these "lone wolf" shooters lately (the last handful or so that have happened in the states anyway) seem to have domestic violence elements, or the shooters have a history of charges like stalking and harassment. Might be a key to finding these guys and getting them off the streets sooner before they kill people, if law enforcement and the justice system took those kinds of charges more seriously and actually put guys in jail for them instead of getting a slap on the wrist like they usually get when they violate a restraining order or smack their wife around the first few times, before they ultimately snap and start killing which a not insignificant number of them seem to do. There seems to often be a clear pattern of escalation where law enforcement could have made a difference and didn't.


Hindsight is always 20/20. Cops can't arrest someone for a crime they think they might commit in the future.


No, but they could give people actual jail time for crimes they've already committed like domestic violence or stalking. That's what I mean--a lot of these guys had charges but didn't do any real time or experience proper penalties that a charge of domestic violence deserves, now that we know the connection to terroristic violence and shootings. The problem is that cops and courts don't take crimes against women/family members seriously enough, if they did these guys would already be off the streets. Wasn't it only just recently that American politicians have moved to block anyone with a domestic violence conviction from being able to purchase a gun? If these guys couldn't buy firearms that in itself would prevent a lot of this violence.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,426
Location: Houston, Texas

29 Jan 2019, 6:42 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Now that I've posted in this thread, let's see how long it takes my fan club to show up, "coincidentally" posting in every thread I do in every conversation I participate in. There's an established pattern there, too. :lol:


Unfortunately, any thread with the word "incel" in it just provides fuel for those who talk about them.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Rainbow_Belle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 60
Location: Sydney

29 Jan 2019, 6:44 am

Another stupid made up modern word to describe an evil person.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,063
Location: Stendec

29 Jan 2019, 9:55 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Another stupid made up modern word to describe an evil person.
No, it's another newly made-up, modern word to describe a specific type of evil person.

The only thing "stupid" about it is the incels themselves.



Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2011
Age: 4
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,510

29 Jan 2019, 5:43 pm

Question?

These guys are indignant that women do not find them attractive?

They feel that they deserve positive reaction to social/dating/outright sexual advances?

Yet if they were approached by a woman they considered unattractive, they would be dismissive, rude, even contemptuous?

But any woman they liked or wanted should feel obligated to respond positively/obediently just because......why, please?

This makes NO sense, if this is their view of humanity.


_________________
Sylkat
Student Body President, Miskatonic University


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,063
Location: Stendec

29 Jan 2019, 5:51 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Question?
Yes?
Sylkat wrote:
These guys are indignant that women do not find them attractive?
Yes.
Sylkat wrote:
They feel that they deserve positive reaction to social/dating/outright sexual advances?
Yes.
Sylkat wrote:
Yet if they were approached by a woman they considered unattractive, they would be dismissive, rude, even contemptuous?
Yes.
Sylkat wrote:
But any woman they liked or wanted should feel obligated to respond positively/obediently just because...
Yes.
Sylkat wrote:
...why, please?
To cover up their own insecurities about being unattractive, and therefore worthless in a society that places value on having sex and/or being in a relationship.
Sylkat wrote:
This makes NO sense, if this is their view of humanity.
Agreed. It's an extremist view of the "Madonna/Whore" paradox, wherein men desire "pure" women for sex, but as soon as those men have sex with those women, those women are no longer "pure" and are fit to only be cast aside.



Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2011
Age: 4
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,510

29 Jan 2019, 6:38 pm

Question?

They see nothing wrong in viewing half of humanity as being less than them?

Nothing wrong with seeing half of humanity as sexually subservient?

They truly believe themselves superior?

This is mental illness.


_________________
Sylkat
Student Body President, Miskatonic University